Nintendo Switch

Ayatollah Hermione

Just bought one and very impressed by it after not expecting a lot tbh. The transition from TV to portable is about as smooth as anything I've seen; you literally just whip it out of the holder and you're good to go. I'd suggest getting a pro controller though since I'm using the Joy Cons in the little plastic sheath and it's oddly difficult to transition to after years of PS3/4 and Xbox controllers following a standard design. Anyway, Zelda is a fantastic game; unlimited freedom, a fantastic sense of exploration and some rock hard puzzles thus far. Looks lush as well. Planning on getting Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 around Xmas and I'll download Sonic Mania to play when I'm lying in bed. Seems like it'll be perfect for those kind of smaller indie titles actually since I can't imagine they would lose too much graphically from porting to the smaller screen.

I know their full online service is rolling out next year but can you add people to some kind of friends list before then? Does anyone here actually have one?

Zelda is my game of the year, absolutely outstanding.

I borrowed a switch off a mate for my stream earlier in the year and liked it but it didn’t have the games overall to convince me at the time.

I do want one sometime next year now as odyssey has come out and it’s got some others I fancy on there too. 

I have one, because I'm a Zelda die hard. Haven't really plated it much lately because of my gaming obsessions elsewhere, but if they roll out a few new games I'll definitely be playing it again.

Mariokart was fine but I had the Wii U version so it didn't get as much playtime as a brand new one would have. That said there's fucking loads of courses on that game for people who didn't play its first iteration.

I'll probably pick up Mario Kart 8, an extra controller and Mario over Christmas and keep an eye on the EShop to see if things like Sonic, Fast RMX, Golf Story etc drop in price.

Zelda is absolutely brilliant, mind. Trust Nintendo to be the ones to breathe life into a stale, open-world genre.

40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I'll probably pick up Mario Kart 8, an extra controller and Mario over Christmas and keep an eye on the EShop to see if things like Sonic, Fast RMX, Golf Story etc drop in price.

Zelda is absolutely brilliant, mind. Trust Nintendo to be the ones to breathe life into a stale, open-world genre.

BOTW is quite possibly the best game of its kind that I've ever played. At no point did it feel boring, and no point did I think 'Man I wish this would just get to the end already'.

That said. It has one flaw :lol: But not worth spoiling anything for you with.

I've actually completely overlooked the Switch because of the portability which is a bit stupid as I can just ignore it.

All of my fond memories of local multiplayer are on Nintendo consoles.  Bomberman on the SNES, Goldeneye 64, SSB on Gamecube, Mariokart on all of them.

I need to give this a second thought.

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm curious...we've got spoiler tags.

Basically it's the final boss. The whole game is amazing, but I beat it first time without any significant difficulty at all. Now, I figured maybe I'd just hugely overpowered myself because I'm a completionist, but I've spoken to other people who were able to beat him after having only completed 50% of the main story... so yeah, I think that's a bit of a let down personally.

18 minutes ago, adios said:

I've actually completely overlooked the Switch because of the portability which is a bit stupid as I can just ignore it.

All of my fond memories of local multiplayer are on Nintendo consoles.  Bomberman on the SNES, Goldeneye 64, SSB on Gamecube, Mariokart on all of them.

I need to give this a second thought.

The portability was a major sell for me. I've hardly had it hooked up to the TV at all.

Am I a total weirdo for having zero interest in portable gaming? :lol: I just can't think of any time I would avail of it. 

I'm going to ask the girlfriend if she'd be into it or I won't bother.

9 minutes ago, adios said:

Am I a total weirdo for having zero interest in portable gaming? :lol: I just can't think of any time I would avail of it. 

I'm going to ask the girlfriend if she'd be into it or I won't bother.

When she's watching a load of shite, put the headphones in and disappear into the world of plumbing. Crazy plumbing, that is

Getting this for Christmas. Cannot wait. Been round my mate's to play it, my son loves it too (as a 3-year-old most assuredly would), everything about it is lush. Skyrim has been re-released for it as well - could never be bothered finishing it on pc, portable with better graphics sounds like I'd have it wrapped up by easter. 

It actually looks like the Wii U is a better fit for us given game selection and backwards compatibility (Super Smash, Mariokart, Bomberman).

Deserved IMO.

Was thinking about starting it again over the weekend in fact. As a long time Zelda enthusiast, I have to say it's the best one they've ever made by a long shot, even correcting for graphics improvements etc. Has it impacted the gaming world as significantly as OoT? No. Nothing ever will in my view. But in terms of the level of achievement for one game, it's as near to perfect as you could hope for from Zelda.

I suspect the Switch will have another Zelda title on it within its lifespan, and they could absolutely use the same background engine for it. I would happily have a Majora's Mask style follow up to BOTW.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

. Has it impacted the gaming world as significantly as OoT?

Remains to be seen, Nothing that started development since it was released has come out yet.

The main thing that makes BotW so special is the way you move around the world, that will have a big impact on open worlds going forward

Was OoT not ostensibly the first 'open world' style game ever made? There'd been some other free to move about in 3D games but they were still limited by various level based mechanics in a way that I'm not sure OoT ever insisted upon.

I might be thinking of it too kindly as, save for the NES, the N64 was the first serious games console I ever owned - and Zelda was the first game I ever had. And fuck me, what a game to open with. No wonder I'm still hooked on the fucking things 20 years on...

Edited by Rayvin

Nah, OOT is more compartmentalised than you think, Hyrule field is massive but...empty.

Have you been back and played it relatively recently? I think it benefits from a lot of rose-tinted specs looking back.