Sign in to follow this  
Kid Dynamite

IT workers

My sister has a 12month old HP laptop.

Fuck knows what she has done to it but it is running ridiculously slow. My first bit of advice to her was a factory restore but she has a snide copy of Microsoft Office she will lose so would rather avoid that

I'm in the process of installing and running 3 anti virus programmes (bit defender, AVG, malware bytes) but it's going to take me 12hours the speed it's going.

Any other advice please?

Have you launched it in safemode?

I know that's the obvious answer always, but if there's an application draining your processing power, it shouldn't be able to load in safemode. If your machine still runs slow, then I would suggest it's probably a hardware issue.

I stand ready to be corrected by those who work with PCs all their lives though :lol:

21 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My sister has a 12month old HP laptop.

Fuck knows what she has done to it but it is running ridiculously slow. My first bit of advice to her was a factory restore but she has a snide copy of Microsoft Office she will lose so would rather avoid that

I'm in the process of installing and running 3 anti virus programmes (bit defender, AVG, malware bytes) but it's going to take me 12hours the speed it's going.

Any other advice please?

aye that's going make things worse.. antiviruses do on-access scanning as well as general filescans/monitoring running programs

so when ones checking files, the other will be picking up that some program is checking files or whatever and will whine/check that etc, pick one.

as above, something must be running to grind it all to a halt if it's only 12months old and she's not running anything other than standard user stuff but without seeing it couldn't tell.

windows 10 has that refresh option in it now to put things back as if you've just turned it on for the first time (but retain your settings/files so not wiping it entirely) try that, if it's still fecked and you're not getting someone to have a proper look at it, back stuff up and do what ewerk said.

On 17/10/2018 at 11:32, ewerk said:

Maybe upgrade to an SSD while you're at it.

this. I installed budget SSDs on my old laptop and my daughters .. the speed increase was huge, boots up in seconds, opening word instantly etc.. and the cooling fans don’t go as daft as they used to.

edit: you don’t have to restore and lose your files either just use something like easeus to clone your current drive.

Edited by zerosum

Cheers all 

It goes marginally faster using IE over Chrome on Windows 10, but I think we are at peak speed unless I swap in an SSD

How long a job was it?