Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone.

 

Hope this isn't out of place here, just wanted to say hello and let you know about a podcast that myself and two friends have started. It's football based and all very light hearted. 

 

Anyway, the reason for me posting in here was that this week, we had Warren Barton on the podcast and he spoke very fondly of his time at Newcastle. You can tell he still has a real soft spot for the club and you fans.

 

If any of you would like to check it out (and I would encourage it!) i've put the video at the bottom of this post.

 

Please do give it a go and if you like it, please like and subscribe. We're trying to get more and more guests to come on too, so if there is anybody you've like to see, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

 

Feel free to give me some feedback too, but please be nice 😅

 

 

Edited by PieAndAPint
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • PieAndAPint changed the title to Pie and a Pint Podcast

Imagine you're in a bar, you join a little group who are talking about NUFC. You listen for a couple of minutes but they're not singing off the same hymn sheet as yourself, you move on to another, ditto. Finally you pass a group who seem to know the crack a bit and after a couple of minutes of their chatting you go to join in but you're not allowed to speak. You just have to sit there and listen to them. That's your NUFC podcasts.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2020 at 10:10, Howmanheyman said:

Imagine you're in a bar, you join a little group who are talking about NUFC. You listen for a couple of minutes but they're not singing off the same hymn sheet as yourself, you move on to another, ditto. Finally you pass a group who seem to know the crack a bit and after a couple of minutes of their chatting you go to join in but you're not allowed to speak. You just have to sit there and listen to them. That's your NUFC podcasts.

 

How many are there these days? 

The Athletic one, True Faith, Gallowgate Shots, Chronicle, Wraith's one, ours. 

 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better question is how many of them actually know what they’re talking about? Caulkin is good value on The Athletic’s but the ones that have sprouted from Twitter are full of rampant gobshitery, barely formed thoughts on the actual game itself and transparent vehicles for attention seeking.

 

And that’s before we even get to Fish.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Better question is how many of them actually know what they’re talking about? Caulkin is good value on The Athletic’s but the ones that have sprouted from Twitter are full of rampant gobshitery, barely formed thoughts on the actual game itself and transparent vehicles for attention seeking.

 

And that’s before we even get to Fish.

Depends what you're after I suppose. If you want expert analysis I'd not bother with fan podcasts. I'd guess most people doing it are doing it in their spare time and can't commit to the kind of preparation needed to make them slick and professional. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the duplicity that puts me off- I watched the episode linked above and not a single discussion of which is best- shortcrust or flaky pastry. 
Did they even tackle the hot topic of “when is a pie not a pie?” ( answer- when it’s a dish of pie filling with a pastry top on it… pie masquerade)- not even a mention. 
 

pfft. 
 

 

 

disclaimer- I didn’t watch it, so they might have. 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

To be fair, you get more sense from chatting to people after the match than you ever do from expert analysis. A podcast where they don’t have to wear Newcastle tops on their webcam to show how much they pure love the Toon would be a good start

More chance of seeing one of us in a Wu-Tang t-shirt than a toon shirt, but I take your point.

 

Most of podcasts do seem to be a group of blokes chatting about the match/manager/owner as they would in a pub, though some of them can get good guests on. Guests who can provide actual insight, either by virtue of being an ex-player, or by being a journalist. 

 

We don't bother much with all that, we barely fucking promote it at all...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Fish said:

 

How many are there these days? 

The Athletic one, True Faith, Gallowgate Shots, Chronicle, Wraith's one, ours. 

 

:lol:

I only ever listen to an occasional one if they have an ex-player on I think might be good crack and even then you have to grit your teeth at the fans running it repeating shit like, 'good stuff' after every anecdote and not delving into answers properly. :lol:

 

Whilst you mention the athletic, I subscribed for a year on a cheap deal but don't often read it but I've noticed Caulkin and Waugh have a bad habit of interviewing fans as well as ex-players and it's always the same fucking fans, no harm to them, some of whom would've been bairns in some of the topics they talk about and who's knowledge/experience might not be all that but they're NUFC-twitter famous so that's all cush then. :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I only ever listen to an occasional one if they have an ex-player on I think might be good crack and even then you have to grit your teeth at the fans running it repeating shit like, 'good stuff' after every anecdote and not delving into answers properly. :lol:

 

Whilst you mention the athletic, I subscribed for a year on a cheap deal but don't often read it but I've noticed Caulkin and Waugh have a bad habit of interviewing fans as well as ex-players and it's always the same fucking fans, no harm to them, some of whom would've been bairns in some of the topics they talk about and who's knowledge/experience might not be all that but they're NUFC-twitter famous so that's all cush then. :lol: 

‘Influencers’ :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I only ever listen to an occasional one if they have an ex-player on I think might be good crack and even then you have to grit your teeth at the fans running it repeating shit like, 'good stuff' after every anecdote and not delving into answers properly. :lol:

 

Whilst you mention the athletic, I subscribed for a year on a cheap deal but don't often read it but I've noticed Caulkin and Waugh have a bad habit of interviewing fans as well as ex-players and it's always the same fucking fans, no harm to them, some of whom would've been bairns in some of the topics they talk about and who's knowledge/experience might not be all that but they're NUFC-twitter famous so that's all cush then. :lol: 

I think a lot of podcasters are a bit star-struck when they meet ex-players, no matter how many twitter followers they've got. I'm sure I'd shit myself if I was sat opposite Les Ferdinand. Fuck it, I'd be star struck by Clarence Acuna. The questions put to the players are so often just "So, who's the best player you've played with?", "Can you tell us any funny stories about nights out?". The players aren't going to give surprising answers to shit like this, and fans aren't going to know what questions would get the good answers anyway. The players are also not going to slag off current players or managers. 

 

Think a problem with podcasters interviewing players is that there'll be a vocabulary that most fans don't have, and the players aren't going to bother their arse trying to explain why one coach's training sessions were better than the other, when the majority of fans haven't a fucking clue about them.

 

Re: interviewing fans, I don't see the point myself. Unless it's someone off the NUST board to talk about things they're doing or whatever. I'm not sure NUFCthreatlevel will have any greater insight into the way we play than anyone else, even if he is good value on twitter. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...