Moyes joins Newcastle's managerial shortlist

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United are taking precautions in the event of Martin O’Neill rejecting their advances to become their permanent manager, with David Moyes, of Everton, the latest candidate whose record has been scrutinised by Freddy Shepherd. While O’Neill remains the favoured choice of Newcastle directors to replace Graeme Souness, sources on Merseyside claim that Moyes is emerging as a potential target.

It is understood that Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, Douglas Hall, his deputy, and Paul Stretford, the agent, have recently held discussions with O’Neill, but with the Ulsterman also in the running to succeed Sven-Göran Eriksson and the health of his wife still an issue, the club are conscious that other alternatives should be considered. Moyes is believed to be one of them.

Now that the FA is close to completing its first wave of interviews, O’Neill is waiting for the English game’s governing body to announce its shortlist for the England job, which becomes vacant this summer. The former Celtic and Leicester City manager is intrigued by the prospect of assuming Eriksson’s position as head coach, yet his default preference is for club football.

Newcastle, however, are in a difficult position. While Glenn Roeder, the caretaker manager, has steadied a fragile team, consecutive league defeats by Manchester United and Liverpool have left them marooned in mid-table in the Barclays Premiership. Qualifying for Europe appears a distant prospect and losing to Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup tomorrow night would bring gloom back to Tyneside with a vengeance. For all the public expressions of satisfaction at Roeder’s achievements, with a replacement for Alan Shearer to be found and the ambitions of Michael Owen and Shay Given to be appeased, Shepherd needs to make the correct appointment sooner rather than later.

After the disappointments of the Souness regime, Shepherd has admitted that it is “vitally important that the new manager is popular”. O’Neill, who has consistently topped opinion polls conducted among Newcastle supporters and has long been the bookmakers’ favourite, has since been offered the role, but at his meeting with Shepherd the 54-year-old made it plain that he would not be bounced into taking a significant decision that would involve relocating to the North East. He is keen and the club are not pessimistic, but a secondary plan is required.

There are firm admirers of Sam Allardyce within the Newcastle hierarchy, but Shepherd is yet to be convinced that the Bolton Wanderers manager is the right man to end his club’s 51-year wait for domestic silverware.

Yet while Moyes also has a reputation for innovative coaching, there are greater parallels with the Scot’s success at Goodison Park and the necessary requirements at St James’ Park.

His four-year stint at Everton has not been without trauma — they toyed with relegation in 2004 and failed to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League in August.

However, unlike Allardyce, he has rejuvenated a club with a similar stature and passionate fan base as that of Newcastle. Last season, they finished fourth in the Premiership and are at present ninth. Newcastle are in twelfth place.

Given that he has served only 15 months of a four-year contract, prising Moyes from Everton would not be a cheap option for a club who have recently spent around £3 million paying off Souness and his coaching staff, and it would doubtless be resisted by Everton. Whether supporters would be impressed is another matter. Paul Jewell, of Wigan Athletic, available for £500,000, has also impressed Shepherd.

At the minute, it's a straight choice between Martin O'Neill, Hitzfeld, Moyes, Steve Bruce and Paul Jewell. Have I missed anyone? :lol:

Shepherd can fuck right off. He wont get another penny of mine until he quits if he appoints that twat.

108592[/snapback]

One bad appointment doesn't make a bad chairman! :lol:

Shepherd can fuck right off. He wont get another penny of mine until he quits if he appoints that twat.

108592[/snapback]

108594[/snapback]

You're still short on answering the questions to name the better and more successful ones Craig !

108592[/snapback]

108594[/snapback]

You're still short on answering the questions to name the better and more successful ones Craig !

108596[/snapback]

You're short on questions tbh, change the fucking record :lol:

:lol:

I reckon David Moyes is capable of a lot more than Everton, where he has done well considering his restraints ie shite board etc especially one that for many many years pissed all over ours including swiping one of the best managers we have ever had, moving to a proper big club that acts like it would be a good move for him.

The irony of all this talk being about Shepherd being, people slag Shepherd off for talking up the club, geordies, alwasy having 52k crowds, having the worlds best players and managers, divine right to success etc .... then do exactly the same thing themselves.......so if they think Shepherd is thick for saying what they think is daft things then they must be thick too for saying the same... as they both attract the same scorn from the same southern journos etc

Edited by LeazesMag

Moyes is a red herring imo. Or a ginga (dare I say it) snake, when you look at his eyes.

Dreamt up by the gutter press after a piss-up I reckon. Even if it were true, Moyes would not leave Everton to come here - no chance.

Put ya money on Allerdyce.

O'Neill is getting closer apparently. I would prefer Allardyce or Hitzfeld tbh, but he'll get my support even though I don;t think he'll ever match the results Keegan

got.

Edited by LeazesMag

O'Neill is getting closer apparently. I would prefer Allardyce or Hitzfeld tbh, but he'll get my support even though I don;t think he'll ever match the results Keegan

got.

108609[/snapback]

What have you heard that makes you come out with the 'O'Neill is getting closer..' comment?

108592[/snapback]

108594[/snapback]

108596[/snapback]

All I've done is re-iterate you statement. If Moyes is appointed, and lets face it the majority of fans will not approve, what will you say then?

Two bad appointments don't make a bad chairman?

108592[/snapback]

108594[/snapback]

108596[/snapback]

All I've done is re-iterate you statement. If Moyes is appointed, and lets face it the majority of fans will not approve, what will you say then?

Two bad appointments don't make a bad chairman?

108617[/snapback]

No. Moyes wouldn't be a bad appointment. We have discussed the criteria. Trophy winners are "shit", so what do you want ? Someone you "like" ?

It is also a damn sight better than the appointments we made before the Halls and Shepherd.....

now, about those questions to name more successful clubs.......

Would he bring that lovely Tim Cahill with him?  He's such a nice pleasant boy, and a mighty good footballist.

108634[/snapback]

oh dear, some people never learn

Would he bring that lovely Tim Cahill with him?  He's such a nice pleasant boy, and a mighty good footballist.

108634[/snapback]

108638[/snapback]

Excuse me?

Press Statement from Everton and Newcastle United

Both football clubs were amazed to see huge speculation in the media this morning regarding the possibility of David Moyes leaving Everton and joining Newcastle United.

Today the Chairmen of both football clubs have issued a joint statement.

Bill Kenwright said:"I know David Moyes. I know Freddy Shepherd. The story is fabrication and total nonsense - it should be discounted immediately."

Newcastle United Chairman Freddy Shepherd continues: "Bill Kenwright is one of my closest friends in football, and I have phoned him this morning to say that Newcastle United have not approached David Moyes, will not approach David Moyes, and wish him and Everton Football Club only the best of success."

I'd be a bit worried about Moyes since he actually seemed to panic a bit when he had a bit of money, bringing in the likes of Simon Davies and actually did a better job last season when he had doodly-squat. That said, he's probably a bit of a victim of raising the expectations and he's done a good job at Everton in general. Doubt he's coming here though.

108634[/snapback]

108638[/snapback]

Excuse me?

Both football clubs were amazed to see huge speculation in the media this morning regarding the possibility of David Moyes leaving Everton and joining Newcastle United.

Bill Kenwright said:"I know David Moyes. I know Freddy Shepherd. The story is fabrication and total nonsense - it should be discounted immediately."

Newcastle United Chairman Freddy Shepherd continues: "Bill Kenwright is one of my closest friends in football, and I have phoned him this morning to say that Newcastle United have not approached David Moyes, will not approach David Moyes, and wish him and Everton Football Club only the best of success."

108643[/snapback]

having seen fuckwit get rid of a supposed "bad egg".......and seen us plummet....these are footballers not choir boys

And David Moyes agent is?

Paul Stretford.

Still, I'm sure Shepherd will do what's best for the club.

108646[/snapback]

blimey, he gets everywhere this Paul Stretford doesn't he

If Shepherd had a straight choice between:

- The right man for the job and nothing to be gained for the likes of Stretford or any particular sports agency.

OR

- Someone who'll "do" and handshakes and smiles all round for certain associates of his.

Anyone think he'd go for option 1? :lol:

108634[/snapback]

108638[/snapback]

Excuse me?

108643[/snapback]

having seen fuckwit get rid of a supposed "bad egg".......and seen us plummet....these are footballers not choir boys

108650[/snapback]

Aye but that lad is nowt but a cheating little shit bag