End Of An Era

LeazesMag

Just disappointed as fuck.

Chelsea maybe could have played better, but bollocks, so could we as well.

We have sold our best players, or we could have won tonight, and we could have won the UEFA Cup once in the last few years as well.

You can't blame injuries when you sell your best players.

The end of an era.

Although 4 or 5 of them are plainly not good enough., we still have the basis of a good side with some sensible and good buys and sales. I hope the next manager does this, like Keegan did.

Aye feeling crushed myself.

Next few months are absolutely massive for us. A good manager and a few good signings and we could be flying next year because, as you say, we have the basis of a good team.

However another bad manager could completely maroon us, meaning we'd lose the likes of Given, Zoggy and Owen and slip into mediocrity on a long-term basis.

We need a good appointment. Let's just hope our chairman is as good as you claim him to be. :lol:

109410[/snapback]

Did you expect to win it like?

109434[/snapback]

I fail to see your point.

I hoped we would win it, and now that our season is officially over and yet again we have no silverware I feel saddened by it.

109410[/snapback]

Did you expect to win it like?

109434[/snapback]

I fail to see your point.

I hoped we would win it, and now that our season is officially over and yet again we have no silverware I feel saddened by it.

109438[/snapback]

I just thought 'crushed' was a strong word, ekspecially after the early goal. I would have been happy with not being embarrased Birmingham style, but we made a fight of it at least.

Sorry not to go through, but we didn't capitualate like we might have done.

It's only the end of an era if you buy into the myth that Shearer is the be all and end all at NUFC.

Maybe crushed was a bit strong, just didn't want to say disappointed as well and seem unoriginal. :lol:

Loss is a loss though for me, especially as the whole season was riding on this game.

Personally am looking forward to Shearer going. He's been a negative to us for 2 years now, as he's an automatic starter when fit despite it being very arguable that he's one of our two best strikers.

I'm very saddened by what seems to me to be the final nail in the Keegan era being hammered home.

Ref the new manager, whoever it is, I'm sure he'll be someone with the potential to win the first trophy and bring proper success to go with it, he'll be backed with enough cash and freedom to do it, and then its up to him.

For me, the first trophy should be dedicated to Keegan though because he deserved it more than anybody.

I'm very saddened by what seems to me to be the final nail in the Keegan era being hammered home.

Ref the new manager, whoever it is, I'm sure he'll be someone with the potential to win the first trophy and bring proper success to go with it, he'll be backed with enough cash and freedom to do it, and then its up to him.

For me, the first trophy should be dedicated to Keegan though because he deserved it more than anybody.

109445[/snapback]

Leaze, I've never doubted your support for the fat man but I really hope you are right and he gets the appointment and support of the next manager right.

Another wrong appointment and it will take the club years to recover.

We live in interesting times as Newcastle supporters.

Couldnt agree more

Souness killed us, tonight was the end of his reign, it could go either way from here

109405[/snapback]

it is so very sad and true. The situation had got to a point where it was comical, i'd never experienced that before. Today it was not funny at all I'm afraid.

109445[/snapback]

Leaze, I've never doubted your support for the fat man but I really hope you are right and he gets the appointment and support of the next manager right.

Another wrong appointment and it will take the club years to recover.

We live in interesting times as Newcastle supporters.

109446[/snapback]

Oh I agree, another fuckwit appointment made for the wrong reasons and I'm sure he is. The only area where I disagree is the difficulty of appointing one of the 2 [or 3 ] trophy winning managers. I consider qualifying for europe to be successful in view of that, which of course it is, especially the Champions League.

I don't support Shepherd any more than I think the club is ambitious through the board, and in the cold light of day would be quite prepared to see them hand over the club to an Abramovic type figure as much as anyone else, but its extremely unlikely. In the meantime, at least they are showing the ambition they should and holding the club among the top clubs. Thats not automatic, they don't have to, other big clubs don't. We didn't ourselves. Thats all I've ever said.

Anyway, I started the thread because I feel very saddened at the passing of the last player from the Keegan era and the last link to it. What we have achieved is as a result of that and its legacy, I have no doubt that if Keegan had stayed we would have won trophies. And I believe what he says to be true, there is so much pressure at the club now, created since the new expectancy he started, the first one will be the hardest.

However someone else now has to take over and try to do it instead with a new direction. Like Rob I'm getting older I was 14 when we won the Fairs Cup time is running out.

BTW...has anyone bought the new Mag ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes, can I ask you a genuine question? Given that Shepherd gets in managers with a trophy winning record and gives them good financial backing, don't you think there must be a problem at the club if this recipe still can't bring success (at least in terms of winning things)? I know we've came runners up a few times but if you ignore the tail end of the Keegan-Era, we've never really looked like winning owt (the two cup finals were one-sided embarrassments really). I'm not trying to be clever here and catch you out, as Shepherd may be a small factor in this rather than the root cause. But wouldn't you agree, given the lack of stability (Robson apart) and genuine success during this era, that there is something not quite right at the club?

By the way, I fully expect you to avoid the question and to ask for a list of big city clubs blah, blah, blah ;)

:lol:

Leazes, can I ask you a genuine question? Given that Shepherd gets in managers with a trophy winning record and gives them good financial backing, don't you think there must be a problem at the club if this recipe still can't bring success (at least in terms of winning things)? I know we've came runners up a few times but if you ignore the tail end of the Keegan-Era, we've never really looked like winning owt (the two cup finals were one-sided embarrassments really). I'm not trying to be clever here and catch you out, as Shepherd may be a small factor in this rather than the root cause. But wouldn't you agree, given the lack of stability (Robson apart) and genuine success during this era, that there is something not quite right at the club?

By the way, I fully expect you to avoid the question and to ask for a list of big city clubs blah, blah, blah ;)

109540[/snapback]

No Alex I can see that, I'm also feeling too reflective myself to even think about banter answers etc etc etc..I've obviously wondered myself if something is wrong at the club because you have to. If I could think of it or thought we were badly underachieving I would want Shepherd out and wouldn't support him and the Halls.

I wanted Westwood and all his cronies out for long enough, when I was a kid I always hoped Newcastle Breweries or someone would buy out the club instead of just sponsoring it.

The only thing you can say is refer to the fact that during the last decade there have been 2 outstanding teams who won the double and robbed us of winning at least one trophy, and now there is a Russian who owns one of the most despicable bunch of turd clubs in the country operating out of everyones depth, even the gloryseekers. We proved last night we can beat them on any one day if we get our act together and get lucky, but in the forseeable future I think this is all ourselves, Liverpool, Arsenal can hope for, the league title is out of the question, there is not a chance any of us can finish above both Chelsea and Manu, if they replace Ferguson well when he goes.

The other is of course, proof that Shepherd interferes in the football management of the club. However if that happened, it would have been well known in the game and I doubt very much if even Souness would have came, never mind Gullit, Robson and whoever the next person is going to be.

With hindsight ! maybe Dalglish should have been given more time, maybe not I don't know. He shouldn't have ripped up the team so much but we all know that.

That must surely be his fault and no one elses.

Shepherds ramblings in the press don't bother me so much. In fact I couldn't care less, I mean, it would be better if he kept a lower profile but if he wants to make himself look a tit then I'm not bothered because it's irrelevant to what happens on the pitch, and I think no one else would care either if the team was winning.

I think the club now is a magnificent club, with everything in place to be successful, facilities, stadium, finance. I thought it was surprising the club didn't have a doctor though, although fuckwit appointed someone credit where its due.

No one in their right mind would turn down the chance of managing this club, unless they had a bigger job like Real, a national job or there was personal or geographic problems etc

Do you have anything else in mind ?

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate the honesty. I think we're nowhere near as far apart in how we feel about Shepherd as it can seems in the daft arguments we have. I totally agree with everything you say. The only other thing I might add is that Shearer might have had a bit too much influence behind the scenes in his time here. I don't want to bash him too much as he has been a great servant etc. but I heard the same rumour from a reliable source as the one UglyMackems posted on here. I.e. that Allardyce was interviewed about the job the last time and that he walked straight out because Shearer was there too. Could be bollocks like (that's my disclaimer :lol: ).

Leazes man, thats so despairing its touching. I think everyone shares that feeling of helplesness tbh. Didnt Gullit even get a priest in to exorcise SJP? What a berk (FACT!)...but it doesnt half speak volumes about the despair at the club....even at the top!

Leazes man, thats so despairing its touching. I think everyone shares that feeling of helplesness tbh. Didnt Gullit even get a priest in to exorcise SJP? What a berk (FACT!)...but it doesnt half speak volumes about the despair at the club....even at the top!

109565[/snapback]

Article "jinx" in the latest Mag is by me. As is the one about ex Blackburn managers in issue 198

Both articles also on howaythetoon, if you are a tight git

Edited by LeazesMag

109565[/snapback]

Article "jinx" in the latest Mag is by me. As is the one about ex Blackburn managers in issue 198

109576[/snapback]

I'll check it out.

the lads in the old shed end did us proud last night but the lads on the pitch let us down again.

shearer looked a sorry figure. i feel sorry for him, but he looked his age last night. no movement from him at all, a shadow of his former self.

i'm absolutely gutted for him but it was all too predictable. cheslea beat us convincingly without ever getting out of second gear.

109565[/snapback]

109576[/snapback]

Really mate? I havent seen the latest one (theyve stopped selling them here in Sportspages in Manc now after a row with the publisher) but I'll check it out when I'm up next.

109565[/snapback]

109576[/snapback]

Really mate? I havent seen the latest one (theyve stopped selling them here in Sportspages in Manc now after a row with the publisher) but I'll check it out when I'm up next.

109597[/snapback]

Or be a tightwad like me and read it here :lol:

http://s3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index...?showtopic=1215

109565[/snapback]

109576[/snapback]

109597[/snapback]

Or be a tightwad like me and read it here :lol:

http://s3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index...?showtopic=1215

109606[/snapback]

Aye, I know he was going to archive it for me....the other one is called "The Blackburn Connection" [on howaythetoon anyway, I don't know if NO has called it the same]

You can always subscribe to the Mag, and True Faith as well if you like

EDIT. Here it is

http://s3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index...?showtopic=1101

Edited by LeazesMag

No Alex I can see that, I'm also feeling too reflective myself to even think about banter answers etc etc etc..I've obviously wondered myself if something is wrong at the club because you have to. If I could think of it or thought we were badly underachieving I would want Shepherd out and wouldn't support him and the Halls.

I wanted Westwood and all his cronies out for long enough, when I was a kid I always hoped Newcastle Breweries or someone would buy out the club instead of just sponsoring it.

The only thing you can say is refer to the fact that during the last decade there have been 2 outstanding teams who won the double and robbed us of winning at least one trophy, and now there is a Russian who owns one of the most despicable bunch of turd clubs in the country operating out of everyones depth, even the gloryseekers. We proved last night we can beat them on any one day if we get our act together and get lucky, but in the forseeable future I think this is all ourselves, Liverpool, Arsenal can hope for, the league title is out of the question, there is not a chance any of us can finish above both Chelsea and Manu, if they replace Ferguson well when he goes.

The other is of course, proof that Shepherd interferes in the football management of the club. However if that happened, it would have been well known in the game and I doubt very much if even Souness would have came, never mind Gullit, Robson and whoever the next person is going to be.

With hindsight ! maybe Dalglish should have been given more time, maybe not I don't know. He shouldn't have ripped up the team so much but we all know that.

Shepherds ramblings in the press don't bother me so much. In fact I couldn't care less, I mean, it would be better if he kept a lower profile but if he wants to make himself look a tit then I'm not bothered because it's irrelevant to what happens on the pitch, and I think no one else would care either if the team was winning.

I think the club now is a magnificent club, with everything in place to be successful, facilities, stadium, finance. I thought it was surprising the club didn't have a doctor though, although fuckwit appointed someone credit where its due.

No one in their right mind would turn down the chance of managing this club, unless they had a bigger job like Real, a national job or there was personal or geographic problems etc

109559[/snapback]

top post mate, have to admit I read the first post and thought "oh feck another if we hadnt sold Bellamy thread" but you've done us proud with that one.

109559[/snapback]

top post mate, have to admit I read the first post and thought "oh feck another if we hadnt sold Bellamy thread" but you've done us proud with that one.

109621[/snapback]

P/P 'buttering' up the posters on here now - following bringing us to the brink of war (It's WAR I tells ya!) with the 'other' side with his skullduggery.

ps did you get my phone calls?? ;)

Edited by snakehips