The Sun: Owen will not play again this season

Wullie

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...6140026,00.html

MICHAEL OWEN has had his chances of going to the World Cup screwed up.

He went back into hospital last week for more surgery on his injured foot.

SunSport can reveal the original screw fitted in his broken metatarsal was too short and had to be replaced by a longer one.

Owen is unlikely to play for Newcastle — beaten 3-1 by Charlton yesterday — again this season and is now locked in a race against time to make Germany.

Owen, who injured the foot in a challenge with England keeper Paul Robinson at Spurs on New Year’s Eve, hoped to play this month.

England’s top scorer had his sights on last Wednesday’s FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Chelsea.

But the £16million man is unlikely to play before the end of the season.

That gives England boss Sven Goran Eriksson a serious dilemma. Owen will have played no football for five months before the friendlies against Hungary and Jamaica even if he is fit enough to play.

A club insider revealed: “You would not put your house on Michael Owen playing in the World Cup. He’s up against it now.

“Nobody is really sure why the correct screw was not put in his foot but Eriksson is going to have a big decision to make.”

It's The Sun, so it's pinch-of-salt time, but still rather worrying. Would be bloody typical however.

I'd like for him to be able to go to the World Cup, I like seeing teams at their strongest where possible at the World Cup in particular. No doubt it'll be interesting come summer to see if he stays here or leaves, but for him to miss the World Cup would be harsh.

At 26 he could arguably be said to be at his peak, and top players don't get many World Cup's while at their peaks. Rooney should be frightening in this one and then particularly the next 2. Ronaldinho at his peak should be a joy to watch this summer, see if he can lead a team to victory as the main man.

If he doesn't kick a ball for the Toon this season then the Club should tell him now there'll be no World Cup.

If he agitates the injury in Germany it might well, with Owens recovery rate, see him out injured for the first month or two of next season.

The Club must be firm on this issue.

Do you think the numb nuts who bought the wrong screw at the shop should pay Owen's wages during the extended setback?  :)  :)

110817[/snapback]

:unsure:

Ridiculous isn't it? It's not like it's Ikea and there was a screw missing in the pack so you just use a different one!?

Owen said: "I have to admit I was a bit down when the surgeon rang last week to say he was advising me to go back into hospital.

"But it was my brother who pointed out that there are still 11 weeks until the World Cup starts.

That's all right then :rolleyes:

Owen said: "I have to admit I was a bit down when the surgeon rang last week to say he was advising me to go back into hospital.

"But it was my brother who pointed out that there are still 11 weeks until the World Cup starts.

That's all right then  :)

110821[/snapback]

Sounds like his brother's a tosser too then. He's really getting on my nerves with his world cup talk like.

Edited by Gemmill

110821[/snapback]

Sounds like his brother's a tosser too then. He's really getting on my nerves with his world cup talk like.

110822[/snapback]

Our season is more or less over, tbh I'd rather we had a fit Owen for the world cup, than him win us a few meaningless games then get injured again.

110821[/snapback]

110822[/snapback]

Our season is more or less over, tbh I'd rather we had a fit Owen for the world cup, than him win us a few meaningless games then get injured again.

110851[/snapback]

Sorry like, but there's half a million quid at stake for each premiership place, not to mention a bit of pride when we play the mackems and boro and a (VERY) outside chance of UEFA Cup qualification. I'd much rather he played the last few games for us and took his chances on the World Cup - for £102k a week, I think he owes it to us.

I'm not saying he doesn't, and if he was fit of course I'd want him to play for us. But rushing him back half fit for the sake of it is not going to do us, him, or England any favours.

110859[/snapback]

Ahhh but you said you'd rather save him for England than him WIN us a few games at the end of the season. If he's gonna be winning us games, then I'm not really interested in doing England any favours (SOOPAFANTAKKATASTIC). If he did injure himself he could spend the summer recovering.

Do you think the numb nuts who bought the wrong screw at the shop should pay Owen's wages during the extended setback?  :)  :)

110817[/snapback]

Didn't he just have an existing screw tightened?

110860[/snapback]

Nah apparently the initial screw was the wrong length so he's had it replaced.

Well until I read it somewhere other than the Sun (and with some quotes from Owen or Roeder) then I'll take my chances.

Well call me a part timer but I'd rather we won the World cup and Nufc finish 13th than go out in the quarters and the toon finish 11th.

110817[/snapback]

Didn't he just have an existing screw tightened?

110860[/snapback]

Nah apparently the initial screw was the wrong length so he's had it replaced.

110864[/snapback]

01.gif

:unsure:

Well until I read it somewhere other than the Sun (and with some quotes from Owen or Roeder) then I'll take my chances.

Well call me a part timer but I'd rather we won the World cup and Nufc finish 13th than go out in the quarters and the toon finish 11th.

110867[/snapback]

Me too.

If he doesn't kick a ball for the Toon this season then the Club should tell him now there'll be no World Cup.

If he agitates the injury in Germany it might well, with Owens recovery rate, see him out injured for the first month or two of next season.

The Club must be firm on this issue.

110818[/snapback]

I'd rather see Newcastle win a throw-in than see England win the World Cup :)

110866[/snapback]

Agree 100%

I was taking the piss though, although you aren't English I suppose.

110895[/snapback]

No, im danish. Still bitter we didn't qualify :)

Club before country...

I'm half English and I want England to do well in Germany, but that doesn't mean that Owen's behaviour and attitude are acceptable. He's blatantly taking the piss with his comments and I'm sick of reading about his plans for the World Cup. It's perfectly understandable for him to want to play in a World Cup, but I just wish he would stop banging on about it in a way that is disrespectful to his employers who pay him in excess of £100,000 a week.

Comments like "The injury didn't come at the worst time" (yes, it did for the people who pay your wages) and "I was down until I realised that there are still 11 weeks until the World Cup starts" are disrespectful to Newcastle United. If Owen wasn't English, people would call him worse than a disinterested mercenary.

To be fair to him, this is the best chance he'll get to win the biggest prize in his profession, the World Cup.

He's playing for a club side mired in mid-table mediocrity and who never win trophies anyway.

I don't think you can blame him for letting his mind wander to the summer when you weigh up what he's got going on here with what potentially could be in Germany.

Having said that, I'd expect him to be 100% commited to us next season as there is no summer tournament in 2007 (providing he's still here of course).