Going for a run - advice needed.

luckyluke

I'm gonna do the Leeds Half Marathon on May the 7th. It's 13 miles, which I think is achievable considering I run about that much in a week (although not all at once). Problem is I'm a bit unsure how to build it up, how often to go for practice runs etc etc. Has anyone done a half marathon before? Any tips?

Would appreciate any advice, ta.

What is your normal running distance? I normally gradually build up either by distance or time. When unfit, I start with short distances that I normally run (~5 km/30 mins) and after two or three weeks double the distance/running time. After about another two weeks I start running the full distance once a week or fortnight.

Edited by Isegrim

i ran the great north run last year after not 1 days training. wasnt going to show up cos me and my lass split up and we were meant to be doing it together. but we decided to do it at the last minute. did it in 2 and a half hours, nearly died, and couldnt walk for a week after. But if you go running every week you should manage 13miles no problem.

I run about 5 miles two or three times a week at the moment.

113238[/snapback]

As you are only five weeks ahead of the run I would just try running half the distance as your regular distance and if you feel fit enough going for the whole distance at the weekends. But IMHO it is not necessary to run the full distance more than two or three times if your fitness is sufficient. Just try running for two hours.

Well if I keep my usual pace I could do it in about 1 hour 40 minutes, but of course this is on a treadmill and it will be hard to keep it up so I reckon 2 hours sounds about right.

Thanks for the advice (you too Wacky :lol:).

Wear trainers

113233[/snapback]

Them Keenyan fella's and the like seem to do alright in the Lympics without any, then again the surfaces on the track will be alot better than that on the streets of Leeds Edited by Jonny2J

Well if I keep my usual pace I could do it in about 1 hour 40 minutes, but of course this is on a treadmill and it will be hard to keep it up so I reckon 2 hours sounds about right.

Thanks for the advice (you too Wacky :lol:).

113244[/snapback]

There's a huge difference between running on a treadmill and taking part in a half marathon. Depending on the terrain slopes and wind can be a real pain. It is not just that it takes longer, but after running uphill after ~10 miles with the wind blowing in your face makes it a totally different experience ... your thighs will you remind of it for about a couple of days. :razz:

Guest Toplass-101

In a moment of madness :razz: I signed up for the Cancer Research Run For Life.

My training so far has been:

A) Order some trainers off the net.

b. Not got that far yet

Good luck with ya 13 miles, mine is only about 3(ish) but given that the only running I do is to catch a bus, it will feel like 30! :lol:

Edited by Toplass-101

Just progressively build up your miles you are running so say you are running 5 miles on Saturday then the following Saturday run 6 miles then 7 miles etc and do some shorter work throughout the week.

I'm gonna do the Leeds Half Marathon on May the 7th. It's 13 miles, which I think is achievable considering I run about that much in a week (although not all at once). Problem is I'm a bit unsure how to build it up, how often to go for practice runs etc etc. Has anyone done a half marathon before? Any tips?

113232[/snapback]

my advice would be not to leave it until a month beforehand to start training.

113232[/snapback]

my advice would be not to leave it until a month beforehand to start training.

113294[/snapback]

Ha ha, you're probably right, but it's not like I'm going into this cold is it? I already run about 13 miles a week anyway. Just not all at once. ;)