If West Ham finish 7th & get to Cup Final...

Optimistic Nut

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Hold on, I'm confused though, didn't your original post say "If West Ham finish 6th..."?... which surely is a valid question... I think?

:)

Edited by Wullie

I'm going batty trying to work this out.

Does the League cup not provide a UEFA spot anymore?

121787[/snapback]

If Wigan had won the Carling Cup, they'd have qualified for Europe, but unlike the FA Cup, the runners-up don't get into the UEFA Cup.

Basically, the only way we are going to get automatic qualification for Europe is if Boro win the UEFA cup and finish runners up or winners of the FA cup. Which we don't want, except for J69.

I'm going batty trying to work this out.

Does the League cup not provide a UEFA spot anymore?

121787[/snapback]

If Wigan had won the Carling Cup, they'd have qualified for Europe, but unlike the FA Cup, the runners-up don't get into the UEFA Cup.

121793[/snapback]

Aaah, right so. Cheers.

So we can't get into Europe from the league realistically....

The top two sides in the league qualify automatically for the UEFA Champions League

(Chelsea & Man U).

The teams that finish third and fourth qualify for the final qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League

(L'pool & Spurs).

The fifth-placed team qualifies for the UEFA Cup

(Arsenal)

as do the Carling Cup winners. If the winners of the Carling Cup are already in Europe the UEFA Cup place goes to the next highest-placed league team(Blackburn).

and the FA Cup winners.  If a club already in Europe wins the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup place goes to the runners-up (Boro or West Ham). If the runners-up are also already in EuropeNo, the place will go to the next highest-placed league team.

European Places are also available for English teams in the Inter-Toto Cup and via the Fair Play League, where the highest placed team in the Fair Play League that hasn't qualified for Europe by other means is entered into a UEFA draw. If a team is drawn out of the hat they enter the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.

http://www.premierleague.com/en/faq/faqLanding.jsp

So 7th isn't a European place because Boro or West Ham will be there from the cup.

But why have the bbc coloured it in...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...tor/default.stm

I'm more confused than ever tbh.

Basically, the only way we are going to get automatic qualification for Europe is if Boro win the UEFA cup and finish runners up or winners of the FA cup. Which we don't want, except for J69.

121796[/snapback]

aaah, that's where I was going wrong. Forgot about them winning that.

I'm still pretty sure you don't get back in the UEFA if you win it.

121809[/snapback]

By George I think you're right...

Eligibility

It is open to teams finishing in leading positions behind the champions in their domestic top divisions, the winners of the national Cup competition, the winners of the League Cup competition in certain countries, the three winners of the final matches in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, and three clubs from UEFA’s Fair Play League.

Additional qualifiers

Certain national champions which do not qualify for the UEFA Champions League in a particular season also participate in the same season’s UEFA Cup. In addition, the eight third-placed clubs at the end of the UEFA Champions League group stage drop into the UEFA Cup, entering the competition at the end of the group stage.

from uefa.com

No mention of the winners going back in. Wonder if we'll get a backlash of Liverpool proportions (another example of whinging Scousers).

I'm still pretty sure you don't get back in the UEFA if you win it.

121809[/snapback]

By George I think you're right...

Eligibility

It is open to teams finishing in leading positions behind the champions in their domestic top divisions, the winners of the national Cup competition, the winners of the League Cup competition in certain countries, the three winners of the final matches in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, and three clubs from UEFA’s Fair Play League.

Additional qualifiers

Certain national champions which do not qualify for the UEFA Champions League in a particular season also participate in the same season’s UEFA Cup. In addition, the eight third-placed clubs at the end of the UEFA Champions League group stage drop into the UEFA Cup, entering the competition at the end of the group stage.

from uefa.com

No mention of the winners going back in. Wonder if we'll get a backlash of Liverpool proportions (another example of whinging Scousers).

121818[/snapback]

I think thought the holders did get the right to defend it, but maybe I'm wrong (personally, I think they should mind). Oh well, intertoto or nowt then.

If Boro get to the Fa Cup Final and win the Waffa Cup then they would take the Waffa Cup place as winners therefore 7th place in the league would qualify for the Waffa.

Come on Boro! :lol:

Guest CrimsonFault

I read if Man Utd qualify for automatic Champions League 7th place becomes UEFA Cup spot (as they won the League Cup - so theyre UEFA Cup spot becomes 7th place).

No mention of the winners going back in.  Wonder if we'll get a backlash of Liverpool proportions (another example of whinging Scousers).

121818[/snapback]

I don't know why they let us back in for winning the whole bloody thing. I always maintained we should have gone for the glamour of 4th place in a different competiton.

I think Uefa holders do get automatic entry btw.

If Boro get to the Fa Cup Final and win the Waffa Cup then they would take the Waffa Cup place as winners therefore 7th place in the league would qualify for the Waffa.

121952[/snapback]

thank god, someone with more than 2 neurones. i take it you havent been taken in by MOTDs insistence that boro and us are arch rivals :)

No mention of the winners going back in.  Wonder if we'll get a backlash of Liverpool proportions (another example of whinging Scousers).

121818[/snapback]

I don't know why they let us back in for winning the whole bloody thing. I always maintained we should have gone for the glamour of 4th place in a different competiton.

121970[/snapback]

Isn't it like the Champions League where it is taken a given that the winners of the competition would qualify anyway (can't really think of anyone that hasn't recently?). If Boro win the UEFA and don't qualify through the league (looks like they won't) you'll see what happens.

Edited by Sima

121952[/snapback]

thank god, someone with more than 2 neurones. i take it you havent been taken in by MOTDs insistence that boro and us are arch rivals :)

121975[/snapback]

rivals no, but i dont flaming like them. I would dislike any team that had cheated to get a game postponed against us

121818[/snapback]

121970[/snapback]

Isn't it like the Champions League where it is taken a given that the winners of the competition would qualify anyway (can't really think of anyone that hasn't recently?). If Boro win the UEFA and don't qualify through the league (looks like they won't) you'll see what happens.

121983[/snapback]

no it's not. It's not taken as a given anyway as Real Madrid finished 5th but got back in cos they won the tourny and when our own F.A misinterpreted the spirit of the law, UEFA moved to change the rules to make sure the winners got in.

Pleasure to be a help.

Like it or not, we are going to be compared to our neighbours, and our closest neighbours next year will be Boro. Bragging rights does come into it, as is totally apparent J69 if you have ever been taunted by a mutant because they won the fizzy pop cup. They are rivals, and I do not want them to win anything at all. Ever. Neither do I want them reminding me that we are in the UEFA on the back of their success.

Plus, I quite like competitive summer games. We will qualify anyway I reckon.

121952[/snapback]

I don't think so, I think that place goes to sixth in the league. I posted the rules earlier, 5th is the only standard league place to go into the UEFA, 6th from the league cup as the winners are already in and 7th from the FA cup if both finalists are already in. Since neither West Ham or Boro are in Europe, 7th won't get a place. And I'm yet to hear from any authority that Boro go back in as winners of the uefa cup (anyone got a link that says that's the case? Everywhere I've looked says it's not).

There won't be a broo ha ha if Boro don't go back in after winning as they'll likely be in it off the cup anyway.

EDIT: I've just seen the other thread and if UEFA are saying it's the case then champion. Maybe the Ronny Gill got through to the cleaner or it was one of Anal's make believe 'sources' because their website suggests otherwise.

Edited by Happy Face