Jermaine Defoe

Scottish Mag

From The Sun

GLENN ROEDER is keen to be reunited with Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe at Newcastle.

The new Toon boss must fill the huge gap left by retired skipper Alan Shearer.

And Defoe’s future at White Hart Lane is again in doubt after the £10.9million arrival of Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov.

Roeder is a big admirer of Defoe, 23, having worked with him for two years at West Ham.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has assured the manager there is money to spend, providing some squad members at St James’ Park are sold.

And Roeder believes a combination of Michael Owen and Defoe would be a potent force in the Premiership next term.

He has given up hope of trying to sign a direct replacement for Shearer but admitted he must come up with the right solution before the season kicks off in August.

Roeder, who also has Chelsea’s Eidur Gudjohnsen and Dutch ace Dirk Kuyt on his shopping list, said: “You don’t replace Alan Shearer.

“Alex Ferguson said he’d been looking for another Shearer for 10        years since he turned him down.

“It would be a waste of time but there are strikers out there and we need someone to play alongside Michael.

“I have real faith in Shola Ameobi but I need to find a striker different to Alan who will score us the goals.

“We’ll find a striker who is happy and confident to wear the No 9 shirt — one who can score approaching 20 goals a season.”

Defoe, who is on England’s World Cup stand-by list, was part of the Hammers squad that was relegated under Roeder three years ago.

The striker immediately asked for a transfer and joined Spurs in a £7m deal.

The relationship between the pair did not always run smoothly but this week Roeder cleared Defoe of any blame by claiming there had been too much pressure placed on him that year.

Defoe will spend the summer considering his options after a disappointing season at Spurs ended with him missing out on England’s 23-man finals squad.

Liverpool are also keeping a close eye on his situation.

The arrival of Bayer Leverkusen hitman Berbatov at Spurs has done little to improve Defoe’s prospects.

Berbatov even turned down the chance to join Manchester United.

He said: “I can reveal now I had an offer from Manchester United and everyone knows what that means. But after talking to Martin Jol several times I chose Spurs.”

Used to rate him very highly a couple of years back, still think he's a quality player, but I'm not sure whether he work with Owen.

To me, it seems like maybe the Sun were short on stories so just picked out a plausible connection from his past.

Used to rate him very highly a couple of years back, still think he's a quality player, but I'm not sure whether he work with Owen.

To me, it seems like maybe the Sun were short on stories so just picked out a plausible connection from his past.

138303[/snapback]

Surely not! :razz:

They wouldn't do THAT would they? :lol:

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

We need a striker who can play with his back to goal. If we sell Owen we might be able to buy Gudjonsen and Defoe with the money.

Defoe doesn't strike me as the stablest of characters though.

I'd rather have Gudjohnsen and if Mourinho's quotes are anything to go by, we should do everything we can to get him:

"The position with Eidur is that he is a great football player. We want to keep him but we are open to speak with clubs about him if they show a real interest in him."
Edited by Bombadil