Same Old Sven

Papa Lazaru

Crouch was fucking awful yesterday, if anyone should have gone off it should be him. But his place is more or less assured because he's a freak....who can't win a header.

147555[/snapback]

Don't agree with that, I thought he played very well, the only problems came when the ball was played for him tohead down and the gap was too large between strikers and midfield.

I thought we sat far too deep throughout the game, never really pressing Paraguay. With the players at our disposal we should be able to comfortably spray passes about, wear down the opposition and waiting for a chance to punish them. The high workrate of our players contributed to the stale second half and the exhaustion we suffered.

One of the only critiscisms I've had of Sven is his negative tactics and his inability to motivate players. We went through the motions second half becuase a) Sven can't motivate them and b ) we have a lot of players who believe their own hype and can't be arsed. This tactic of 'let them have the ball' has been our undoing at the past two big tournaments. I was quite confident when I saw how bad the Germans were on Friday, but now I reckon the Germans are quite confident by how bad we were.

We did alright first half, and even in the second which was awful when we played football we got into good positions.

Sven is a bit of a worry!! but hopefully player power will prevail like it did in Italia 90, when under Robson the players decided the system that we should play and it nearly paid off.

What is alarming is that the FA have appointed McLaren to do the job and he is very much involved tactically judging by the tv pics of him with his tactic chart in hand!!!

Crouch was fucking awful yesterday, if anyone should have gone off it should be him. But his place is more or less assured because he's a freak....who can't win a header.

147555[/snapback]

Don't agree with that, I thought he played very well, the only problems came when the ball was played for him tohead down and the gap was too large between strikers and midfield.

I thought we sat far too deep throughout the game, never really pressing Paraguay. With the players at our disposal we should be able to comfortably spray passes about, wear down the opposition and waiting for a chance to punish them. The high workrate of our players contributed to the stale second half and the exhaustion we suffered.

147608[/snapback]

Crouch played alright. That's as good as you're going to get from him at this level though. Not international class tbh. Btw, nice to see the insipid second half performance which Sven has made his trademark in tournaments :razz:

turnip, Lol

sven's a complete knob.

on paper, we have 1 of the best teams in the world, so wtf sven?

it's as if he does crappy tactics / subs purposely because he

knows its his last world cup 4 england...

personally, I think he wants 2 fuck us up...

just wait and see what tactics he uses V Sweden...his home country!! :razz:

Good to see the usual overeacting all over the country. We are either the best team in the world or the worst.

The way I saw it we got 3 points, Paraguay didnt cause a single moment of genuine concern, job done - next.

147676[/snapback]

I agree to an extent, imagine if we'd drawn or lost :razz: The last time we scored in the 2nd half of a World Cup Finals game was France 98 though. Stats can be misleading but we do seem to struggle in the second half (in competitive games) under Sven. That said, the weather/k.o. time was a massive factor. Look at the difference in the pace of the game between the 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock matches.

I think a big factor in how we faded was ashley cole and neville returning to fitness and not giving us the width and support we need. Hopefully they along with Owen and Rooney will return to fitness and help us get momentum.

Hitting your peak at the right time in a tournament is much more important than looking good for the last half hour of the first match

turnip, Lol

sven's a complete knob.

just wait and see what tactics he uses V Sweden...his home country!! :blush:

147661[/snapback]

... now where do I recognise this posting style from... :razz:

turnip, Lol

sven's a complete knob.

just wait and see what tactics he uses V Sweden...his home country!! :slap:

147661[/snapback]

... now where do I recognise this posting style from... :razz:

147718[/snapback]

The new monkey forum? :blush:

I don't think there is any need to panic about Saturdays performance. It wasn't the best we can play but we always looked solid and they never really looked like scoring.

The subsitutions weren't great to say the least but I doubt we will see owen taken off again unless we are walking a game or he is injured.

I think the only real worry is the lack of strikers in the squad. We basically have one fit striker who's not international class, two world class strikers who aren't match fit, and a bairn who the manager clearly doesn't think is ready.

As has been said before, the decision to leave Bent and particularly Defoe behind, in favour of Walcott, Jenas and Hargreves who are adding nothing to the squad, is nothing short of idiotic.

I don't think there is any need to panic about Saturdays performance.  It wasn't the best we can play but we always looked solid and they never really looked like scoring.

The subsitutions weren't great to say the least but I doubt we will see owen taken off again unless we are walking a game or he is injured.

I think the only real worry is the lack of strikers in the squad.  We basically have one fit striker who's not international class, two world class strikers who aren't match fit, and a bairn who the manager clearly doesn't think is ready.

As has been said before, the decision to leave Bent and particularly Defoe behind, in favour of Walcott, Jenas and Hargreves who are adding nothing to the squad, is nothing short of idiotic.

147823[/snapback]

I cant disagree that Defoe or Bent would have been better to have in the squad than Jenas, but to be honest if we had to rely on either of them we would be fucked anyway