England v Ecuador

Lazarus

Only me that didn't think we were that bad then?  I reckon it's gonna take them being faced with decent competition for them to up their game.

153217[/snapback]

Honestly, I think it was one of the worst games of the tournament. England didn't create a single chance. There was Beckham's free-kick and a few poor long-range shots, but not a single meaningful chance. Defensively, it was better than the last game, but once again Eriksson could have used his subs to change the game and once again, he failed miserably. The match was crying out for an injection of pace, Beckham was clearly struggling, and what does the Swede do? Nothing.

Portugal going a man down is good news for us as they would be the harder team to beat, hopefully Holland can come back and win the game now.

Only me that didn't think we were that bad then?  I reckon it's gonna take them being faced with decent competition for them to up their game.

153217[/snapback]

Honestly, I think it was one of the worst games of the tournament. England didn't create a single chance. There was Beckham's free-kick and a few poor long-range shots, but not a single meaningful chance. Defensively, it was better than the last game, but once again Eriksson could have used his subs to change the game and once again, he failed miserably. The match was crying out for an injection of pace, Beckham was clearly struggling, and what does the Swede do? Nothing.

Portugal going a man down is good news for us as they would be the harder team to beat, hopefully Holland can come back and win the game now.

153239[/snapback]

Hmm, I think that Portugal would be a better opponent than Holland as there normally is the chance that Holland are putting a team under much more pressure, and the English defenders and Robinson do (surprisingly) look a bit shaky to me. I think England-Portugal would be the typical game where only one goal decides, possibly coming from a set piece like today.

For the role of Rooney I have to say that I think he is wasted. He is not a spare striker, but rather a supportive kind of player. Rooney can't both create chances and put them away himself as well. This actually means that England more or less create nothing at all...

153217[/snapback]

153239[/snapback]

Hmm, I think that Portugal would be a better opponent than Holland as there normally is the chance that Holland are putting a team under much more pressure, and the English defenders and Robinson do (surprisingly) look a bit shaky to me. I think England-Portugal would be the typical game where only one goal decides, possibly coming from a set piece like today.

For the role of Rooney I have to say that I think he is wasted. He is not a spare striker, but rather a supportive kind of player. Rooney can't both create chances and put them away himself as well. This actually means that England more or less create nothing at all...

153243[/snapback]

I agree, the Swedish twat should have played Walcott with Rooney during the second half, Rooney will only run himself into the ground playing on his own.

153217[/snapback]

153239[/snapback]

153243[/snapback]

You could be right about Holland. Whether it's them or Portugal in the next round, I think it's an illusion to think that England can suddenly turn on the style when being faced with a better team. They will improve, yes, but I don't think it will be enough.

You could be right about Holland. Whether it's them or Portugal in the next round, I think it's an illusion to think that England can suddenly turn on the style when being faced with a better team. They will improve, yes, but I don't think it will be enough.

To be honest i don't think you'll ever see England turn on the style for a whole half never mind a whole game, but thats different to whether they will win games or not.

England are rarely if ever pretty but they are strangely effective, lacking technique and flair of other teams but doing the job of scoring 1 more than the opposition which is all thats required.

I think they'll improve their performance, play some better football but i don't think anyone will be amazed by them, but they could still win these games against technically more gifted opposition.

And what may be crucial was seeing how good Rooney looked second half, if he continues in that vein he can turn games on his own.

Rooney will obviously be the key against Portugal. The worry is that the cheating Portuguese will wind him up and he'll get himself sent off...

153296[/snapback]

Yeah, i'm hoping he's got that under control. I noticed he did well today when pissed off with a linesman's decision, he went up to him but just stared, said nothing and walked away instead of giving him a load of abuse!

But its always a worry that he gets wound up or dives in for the ball agressively and gets in trouble.

If Rooney starts picking up yellows, England are screwed anyway.  The first game he doesn't play in from now on, we're oot.

153302[/snapback]

What you on about man, you've theo and Crouch. :blink:

If Rooney starts picking up yellows, England are screwed anyway.  The first game he doesn't play in from now on, we're oot.

153302[/snapback]

What you on about man, you've theo and Crouch. :blink:

153410[/snapback]

:(

I'm seriously concerned though. I don't see England getting to the Final, but if we get to the semi I can see Rooney picking up a yellow in each of the QF and SF. :rolleyes:

It wouldn’t be good like, but England are one of the cleaner teams. Of the 6 teams left in our side of the draw, only Brazil average less bookings than us. The opposition squads are going to end up more ravaged than ours.

It wouldn’t be good like, but England are one of the cleaner teams. Of the 6 teams left in our side of the draw, only Brazil average less bookings than us.  The opposition squads are going to end up more ravaged than ours.

153442[/snapback]

England as a team are usually calm and level headed compared to alot of teams and pick up less bookings, just occasionally we have the odd individual who does something stupid.

So i would expect come any possible finals we would likely be as well if not beter off than our opponents for suspensions, but Rooney is always a concern!