The World Cup Final - Italy v France

Gemmill

Adieu Zizou: thanks for the memories

Sunday July 9, 2006

The Observer

He will walk off the pitch tonight and out of football forever. And he will leave behind a million memories. Zinedine Zidane has been - is, until tonight - the best player in the world for a generation. The best European since Johan Cruyff retired. How shall we best remember him, this man who 'plays as if he has silk gloves on each foot' (Alfredo Di Stefano), who 'can do things with his feet that others cannot do with their hands' (Thierry Henry).

Yet a man who looks forever troubled, as if haunted by his own greatness, his rounded shoulders weighed down by expectations within and beyond football. Shall we remember him for his goals - the two in the World Cup final that brought millions to the streets of Paris in 1998; the sublime winning volley that won the European Cup for Real Madrid in 2002? Or shall we remember his words: 'The game, the event, is not necessarily experienced or remembered in real time. My memories are fragmented - whenever something amazing happened I would remember playing in another place, at another time. Someone passed the ball to me and, before even touching it, I knew exactly what was going to happen. I knew I was going to score.'

There will be drama in the World Cup final, France v Italy, tonight. And there will be romance if Zinedine Zidane can take himself to another time, another place, and score one last goal. Something else to remember him by. Adieu.

Hoping for one last genius performance from Zidane and a French victory.

Predictions?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haway BBC, you can't give Adrian Chiles the job of doing the voiceover on your montages.  The Olympic Stadium with a Brummie accent?! :lol:

157914[/snapback]

You beat me too it, ffs, a brummie reading poetry....

Best two national anthems in the tournament too.  FACT!

157918[/snapback]

Weird. I just Googled for the lyrics to La Marseillaise while that was on.

157918[/snapback]

157920[/snapback]

If you need them translated, I do of course possess an A-Level in French.... :lol:

Henry is looking worse for wear like.

157922[/snapback]

Looking like he's been on the receiving end of a Gemmill Haymaker. :lol:

157924[/snapback]

Thumb inside the fist? :hunter:

157925[/snapback]

It's the only way to punch. :)

157918[/snapback]

157920[/snapback]

If you need them translated, I do of course possess an A-Level in French.... :lol:

157921[/snapback]

Le singe et dans l'abre.