Cats or Dogs

Tom

Cats or dogs?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People just think dogs are more intelligent because they are social animals and therefore can be trained. They are however as thick as fuck. However, it's pointless applying human qualities like intelligence to animals.

Having been savaged by a dog as a child and stood in countless piles of dog shit, I can honestly say I hate the bastards mind.

171721[/snapback]

So is intelligence only a human trait? Never heard that argument before. Never heard the argument that dogs are social animals and can therefore be trained either. Cats often form groups in the wild anyway so I think your argument is pretty flawed as I guess you do :lol:

171741[/snapback]

I'm not saying animals don't have intelligence but just it's not human-like intelligence, and it's fairly pointless trying to extrapolate. Cats and dogs are intelligent in different ways, that's all.

Wild cats are generally solitary animals - the sole exception being lions which domestic cats are not descended from. Wild dogs nearly always operate in packs. If you own a dog, it will regard you as the leader of the pack, which is why they are submissive in a way cats aren't.

171747[/snapback]

Aye, which proves what exactly in relation to their relative intelligence then? I don't see your argument re: not being able to compare relative intelligence due to their intelligence being different either. It's pretty obvious some animals are more intelligent than others and I think I'm right in saying dogs generally compare favourably to cats in this regard.

171755[/snapback]

It is the reason that cats can't be trained, which is what you are using as a measure of intelligence for some reason. Is being able to hunt not a form of intelligence? Personally, I don't think you can fairly compare them based on arbritrary measures.

At the end of the day, I seriously doubt either are capable of abstact thought which is how most people would assess intelligence.

171757[/snapback]

So can lions be trained but other cats can't then?

171760[/snapback]

Correct. :lol:

171766[/snapback]

It's not though, is it? :lol:

171772[/snapback]

I've heard of lion tamers before.

Never tiger trainers, leopard trainers, puma trainers (although actually I've got a pair) .......

:blink:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People just think dogs are more intelligent because they are social animals and therefore can be trained. They are however as thick as fuck. However, it's pointless applying human qualities like intelligence to animals.

Having been savaged by a dog as a child and stood in countless piles of dog shit, I can honestly say I hate the bastards mind.

171721[/snapback]

So is intelligence only a human trait? Never heard that argument before. Never heard the argument that dogs are social animals and can therefore be trained either. Cats often form groups in the wild anyway so I think your argument is pretty flawed as I guess you do :lol:

171741[/snapback]

I'm not saying animals don't have intelligence but just it's not human-like intelligence, and it's fairly pointless trying to extrapolate. Cats and dogs are intelligent in different ways, that's all.

Wild cats are generally solitary animals - the sole exception being lions which domestic cats are not descended from. Wild dogs nearly always operate in packs. If you own a dog, it will regard you as the leader of the pack, which is why they are submissive in a way cats aren't.

171747[/snapback]

Aye, which proves what exactly in relation to their relative intelligence then? I don't see your argument re: not being able to compare relative intelligence due to their intelligence being different either. It's pretty obvious some animals are more intelligent than others and I think I'm right in saying dogs generally compare favourably to cats in this regard.

171755[/snapback]

It is the reason that cats can't be trained, which is what you are using as a measure of intelligence for some reason. Is being able to hunt not a form of intelligence? Personally, I don't think you can fairly compare them based on arbritrary measures.

At the end of the day, I seriously doubt either are capable of abstact thought which is how most people would assess intelligence.

171757[/snapback]

So can lions be trained but other cats can't then?

171760[/snapback]

Correct. :lol:

171766[/snapback]

It's not though, is it? :lol:

171772[/snapback]

I've heard of lion tamers before.

Never tiger trainers, leopard trainers, puma trainers (although actually I've got a pair) .......

:blink:

171775[/snapback]

Called tamers for a reason, they're too thick to train :lol:

Got my tamers and trainers confused.

I think we have concluded that whether you like cats or dogs most is down to personal preference. As long as people pick up dog shit and don't let their dogs attack people, I can live with it!

renton, I have to pull you up on a few things

wild cats do hunt in packs, and I'm not just talking about a Pride of Lions

There are recorded instances of Cheetahs, Leopards, Tigers working together to bring down a largeer prey, or gaurantee a kill from a herd.

however it isdomestic cats and domestic dogs we're talking about.

on the whole domestic dogs can pick up simple instructions because they associate the owner as the leader of the pack and as such provider of food. It's in their nature to be subservient to the pack leader and that's why they play and fawn and beg from us.

Cats aren't so reliant upon us. In the main, cats, if left to their own devices, will fend for themselves... dogs would find it a far greater struggle.

the trouble is we associate independence with intelligence, and as has been said before, we can't use human attributes to determine animal intelligence.

dogs eat their own poo.

cats win tbh

There are recorded instances of Cheetahs, Leopards, Tigers working together to bring down a largeer prey, or gaurantee a kill from a herd.

on the whole domestic dogs can pick up simple instructions because they associate the owner as the leader of the pack and as such provider of food. It's in their nature to be subservient to the pack leader and that's why they play and fawn and beg from us.

Cats aren't so reliant upon us. In the main, cats, if left to their own devices, will fend for themselves... dogs would find it a far greater struggle.

the trouble is we associate independence with intelligence, and as has been said before, we can't use human attributes to determine animal intelligence.

dogs eat their own poo.

cats win tbh

171813[/snapback]

Don't see being a guide dog as a simple task like. I agree domestic cats have better survival instincts though, they'd fare better than the average person on that score too though.

I think we have concluded that whether you like cats or dogs most is down to personal preference. As long as people pick up dog shit and don't let their dogs attack people, I can live with it!

171801[/snapback]

I think you can probably prove it by looking at their ability to adapt and complexity of their learned behavior. I only really know cats well enough to judge, but I've nothing to compare against, definitely smarter than my bird, like.

Edited by DotBum

dogs eat their own poo.

cats win tbh

171813[/snapback]

I agree apart from the first point. I've watched a lot of nature programs on the big cats and have yet to see cheetahs, leopards, or tigers co-operate. If it happens it is an anomaly.

My mother in law's dog eats its own shit. That is beyond gross. Mind, cats lick their arses.

171801[/snapback]

thats exactlly why I have a problem with cats. Dog owners can at least be held repsonsible for the actions of their pets. Cat owners just let their cats out to do whatever. Im sick to death of cleaning cat shit off my lawn. Ive tried allsorts to keep them away and it doesnt work.. so Ive no choice... a saucer of anti freeze it is

Cats are for girls, queers and evil geniuses hell bent on world domination

171801[/snapback]

thats exactlly why I have a problem with cats. Dog owners can at least be held repsonsible for the actions of their pets. Cat owners just let their cats out to do whatever. Im sick to death of cleaning cat shit off my lawn. Ive tried allsorts to keep them away and it doesnt work.. so Ive no choice... a saucer of anti freeze it is

Cats are for girls, queers and evil geniuses hell bent on world domination

171839[/snapback]

A little from column A, a little from column B tbh.

You must be having problems with Toms, cats are usually pretty good about disposing of their shit tidily.

I'm expecting one mother of a post from LuckyPierre.....

171844[/snapback]

Look up.

171845[/snapback]

It took hours to write that? Btw, for the benefit of LP, cats can't metabolise paracetamol like humans and it is lethal for them. Obviously I hope no-one here would really poison a cat even if it as responsible for pooing on your lawn though.

Apparently you can buy lion shit which keeps them away.

It took hours to write that? Btw, for the benefit of LP, cats can't metabolise paracetamol like humans and it is lethal for them. Obviously I hope no-one here would really poison a cat even if it as responsible for pooing on your lawn though.

171849[/snapback]

Best..solution...ever! :lol:

Here's a really efficient way to kill a cat, but I'd be shocked if anyone used it! :blink:

We need two separate forums for the dog and cat lovers tbh

171846[/snapback]

Can I have my own land hermit crab forum?

171850[/snapback]

Good idea, if we each chose our own unique animal and could only access that forum, there would never be any arguments.

You're full of good ideas today.

171849[/snapback]

Here's a really efficient way to kill a cat, but I'd be shocked if anyone used it! :blink:

171852[/snapback]

I know of one way too, but being an animal lover I'm not saying :lol:

Where's the 'Can't fuckin' stand cats or dogs' option???? :lol:

171853[/snapback]

Choose 50 cent, he'll shoot the cat 9 times, and the dog once.

171849[/snapback]

Here's a really efficient way to kill a cat, but I'd be shocked if anyone used it! :lol:

171852[/snapback]

I know of one way too, but being an animal lover I'm not saying :lol:

171855[/snapback]

I really have to get off this thread. The misses is off to scotland for a week next week leaving me to look after the cat. Its giving me ideas :blink:

I was playing Nintendogs on Saturday. All the benefits of having a pet dog but none of the drawbacks tbh.

171865[/snapback]

:lol: I would disagree but it is good though isn't it? A cat version would be gash, obviously :blink: