Your TV Series Recommendations

Gemmill

Criminal Intent is the best.  Special Victims Unit is canny an'all.

182585[/snapback]

Aye, the bloke out of Full Metal Jacket and Men In Black is good. Isn't Ice T in SVU though? Jesus wept at him like :blush:

182592[/snapback]

Vincent D'Onofrio. Aye Ice T is class man. :blush: Richard Belzer is basically a stand-up comedian too, I think - he's called Munch in the serious I think. Some strange casting decisions.

A canny few people off Law and Order turn up on Oz as well.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've held off downloading series 4 and 5 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, as I want to get the DVD's when they're reasonably priced. Couldn't hold out any longer though.

It's brilliant like. Went through series 4 and half of 5 in a couple of days.

I've held off downloading series 4 and 5 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, as I want to get the DVD's when they're reasonably priced.  Couldn't hold out any longer though.

It's brilliant like.  Went through series 4 and half of 5 in a couple of days.

182633[/snapback]

6 has been confirmed for 2007, for anyone that didn't know.

I had assumed The End really was the end.

24 is class, but I got bored with Prison Break pretty quickly. Lost's just getting on my nerves these days - stringing it out to make as much money out of it as possible, and duping people into thinking there are a ton of magical secrets in it.

The thread on Lost on NO is hilarious, the amount of extra reading people will do on a TV series.

24 is class, but I got bored with Prison Break pretty quickly.  Lost's just getting on my nerves these days - stringing it out to make as much money out of it as possible, and duping people into thinking there are a ton of magical secrets in it.

The thread on Lost on NO is hilarious, the amount of extra reading people will do on a TV series.

182989[/snapback]

This mate of mine keeps telling me 24 is quality like. Too many episodes for me tbh :blush:

24 is class, but I got bored with Prison Break pretty quickly.  Lost's just getting on my nerves these days - stringing it out to make as much money out of it as possible, and duping people into thinking there are a ton of magical secrets in it.

182989[/snapback]

This mate of mine keeps telling me 24 is quality like. Too many episodes for me tbh :blush:

182991[/snapback]

Really ?

How many are there ??

:blush:

182989[/snapback]

182991[/snapback]

Really ?

How many are there ??

:blush:

182995[/snapback]

About 20 I think. :blush:

Lets get a few things straight.

Arrested Development is one of the most consistently funny comedies around. I can't wait for the third series to come out on DVD. Tobias and Gob are the two stand out characters.

Seinfeld is a very funny show. Anyone who says otherwise is missing out. See, for instance,

"The Comeback"- George is mocked by a co-worker and later thinks of a comeback. He, then, desparately tries to get the co-worker to use the same insult on him again so that he can use his comeback.

"The Frogger"- George buys the Frogger machine that has his hi score from his childhood when the pizza place shuts down. Mainly, I like this one though because of the scene where he has to try to cross the road with the machine to get it home and avoid the cars (a la Frogger).

"The Nap"- George tries to work out a system whereby he can nap at work under his desk, etc.).

"The Opposite"- George decides that his life sucks so he decides to make decisions and, then, do the exact opposite every time. his life dramatcially improves.

The show has so many little observations that you don't really think about until you see it, e.g. Elaine actually breaks up with her boyfriend in one episode who has just started living with her. He leaves her a written message that her friend has had her baby. The problem? He didn't put an exclamation mark at the end and she thinks that it is worthy of one. It's so typically Seinfeld.

Scrubs is, at times, an absolutely top class comedy but it isn't one that I make an effort to see.

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm but nowhere near as much as I like Seinfeld. I'm surprised though that anyone could really like one but strongly dislike the other.

182989[/snapback]

182991[/snapback]

Mine too. I invested in the first series and it was awesome TBF. Apparently, it just gets better and better. I don't think that they're all that rewatchable though so I don't really want to buy them all.

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm but nowhere near as much as I like Seinfeld.  I'm surprised though that anyone could really like one but strongly dislike the other.

183084[/snapback]

We've got similar tastes in comedy (Mighty Boosh, Arrested Development etc.), but I fit into that category.

LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm, HATE Seinfeld. Although the latter is very, very slowly growing on me, I haven't seen any of the episodes you mention, and I think part of the problem is I started with the pilot, moved forward, gave up.

Arrested Development is one of the most consistently funny comedies around.  I can't wait for the third series to come out on DVD.  Tobias and Gob are the two stand out characters.

Seinfeld is a very funny show.  Anyone who says otherwise is missing out.  See, for instance,

"The Comeback"- George is mocked by a co-worker and later thinks of a comeback.  He, then, desparately tries to get the co-worker to use the same insult on him again so that he can use his comeback.

"The Frogger"- George buys the Frogger machine that has his hi score from his childhood when the pizza place shuts down.  Mainly, I like this one though because of the scene where he has to try to cross the road with the machine to get it home and avoid the cars (a la Frogger).

"The Nap"- George tries to work out a system whereby he can nap at work under his desk, etc.).

"The Opposite"- George decides that his life sucks so he decides to make decisions and, then, do the exact opposite every time.  his life dramatcially improves.

The show has so many little observations that you don't really think about until you see it, e.g. Elaine actually breaks up with her boyfriend in one episode who has just started living with her.  He leaves her a written message that her friend has had her baby.  The problem?  He didn't put an exclamation mark at the end and she thinks that it is worthy of one.  It's so typically Seinfeld. 

Scrubs is, at times, an absolutely top class comedy but it isn't one that I make an effort to see.

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm but nowhere near as much as I like Seinfeld.  I'm surprised though that anyone could really like one but strongly dislike the other.

183084[/snapback]

Agree about Seinfeld. It's noticeable how many of the plots are centred around the loser, George.

Much to my shame I haven't watched an episode of Curb your enthusiasm yet. I keep forgetting to and then I fear it may be hard to get into (the trailers look a bit wierd). I'll make a point of watching it next time it's on.

183084[/snapback]

We've got similar tastes in comedy (Mighty Boosh, Arrested Development etc.), but I fit into that category.

LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm, HATE Seinfeld. Although the latter is very, very slowly growing on me, I haven't seen any of the episodes you mention, and I think part of the problem is I started with the pilot, moved forward, gave up.

183094[/snapback]

I would say that it doesn't get going properly until the third series. The much celebrated "The Contest" epsiode is in that series.

Arrested Development is one of the most consistently funny comedies around.  I can't wait for the third series to come out on DVD.  Tobias and Gob are the two stand out characters.

Seinfeld is a very funny show.  Anyone who says otherwise is missing out.  See, for instance,

"The Comeback"- George is mocked by a co-worker and later thinks of a comeback.  He, then, desparately tries to get the co-worker to use the same insult on him again so that he can use his comeback.

"The Frogger"- George buys the Frogger machine that has his hi score from his childhood when the pizza place shuts down.  Mainly, I like this one though because of the scene where he has to try to cross the road with the machine to get it home and avoid the cars (a la Frogger).

"The Opposite"- George decides that his life sucks so he decides to make decisions and, then, do the exact opposite every time.  his life dramatcially improves.

The show has so many little observations that you don't really think about until you see it, e.g. Elaine actually breaks up with her boyfriend in one episode who has just started living with her.  He leaves her a written message that her friend has had her baby.  The problem?  He didn't put an exclamation mark at the end and she thinks that it is worthy of one.  It's so typically Seinfeld. 

183084[/snapback]

Agree about Seinfeld. It's noticeable how many of the plots are centred around the loser, George.

Much to my shame I haven't watched an episode of Curb your enthusiasm yet. I keep forgetting to and then I fear it may be hard to get into (the trailers look a bit wierd). I'll make a point of watching it next time it's on.

183096[/snapback]

It's true that George usually has the most memorable storyline of the episode. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any really good episodes where this isn't the case.

I just remembered another great Seinfeld episode. George becomes certain that his girlfriend is going to dump him but he wants to take her to a works party at the end of the week to make a good impression on his colleagues (she is an attractive woman). So, he attempts to avoid all communication with her until the day of the party so that she can't dump him and has to turn up for the party as agreed. His answering machine message is terrific.

Edited by Geordie Boot Boy

The first one I saw was when I was channel surfing (through all 5 channels!) when it was first on BBC2. It was the one where Jerry starts frequenting a Pakistani restaurant because he feels sorry for the owner. Needless to say his smug good intentions soon backfire. I was addicted from that moment onwards.

I remember all the ones you describe really well which shows the quality I reckon - can't understand the doubters personally. The Soup Nazi is probably the one I most remember though.

The first one I saw was when I was channel surfing (through all 5 channels!) when it was first on BBC2. It was the one where Jerry starts frequenting a Pakistani restaurant because he feels sorry for the owner. Needless to say his smug good intentions soon backfire. I was addicted from that moment onwards.

I remember all the ones you describe really well which shows the quality I reckon - can't understand the doubters personally. The Soup Nazi is probably the one I most remember though.

183116[/snapback]

Based on the first few episodes of series one?

I have to say, "the contest" was recommended to by HF, I thought it was tripe, he made the argument that it was ground-breaking at the time, that may be true, but it doesn't make it funnier.

The one I enjoyed recently was when Elaine got her cartoon in the New Yorker(?)

I have to say, "the contest" was recommended to by HF, I thought it was tripe, he made the argument that it was ground-breaking at the time, that may be true, but it doesn't make it funnier.

183125[/snapback]

It's hilarious no matter when you watch it tbh.

It's probably more risque NOW, given the unbelievably archaic limits placed on prime time US shows these days.

It's hilarious no matter when you watch it tbh.

It's probably more risque NOW, given the unbelievably archaic limits placed on prime time US shows these days.

183136[/snapback]

So why don't I find it funny?

Anyway, my point was more that it being difficult to get past the censors, whenever, doesn't have an impact on what I find funny. There may be crossover, but it's not a reason in it's self.

Edited by DotBum

i haven't read all of this yet but me and my lass are well into huff on fx. it's an hbo drama about a shrink starring hank azaria. quite dark with black humour. gets the thumbs up from me.

other less obscure things i'm into at the moment include.... curb your enthusiasm (anyone know when the next series will start?), peepshow and the west wing.

i haven't read all of this yet but me and my lass are well into huff on fx. it's an hbo drama about a shrink starring hank azaria. quite dark with black humour. gets the thumbs up from me.

other less obscure things i'm into at the moment include.... curb your enthusiasm (anyone know when the next series will start?), peepshow and the west wing.

183149[/snapback]

I started to get into it a couple of years ago, but kept forgettting about it as it was on FX289(?), might download it.

183084[/snapback]

183094[/snapback]

I'm a big fan of Curb and Seinfeld, but even though they have the same creator there are plenty of people who like one and dislike/don't watch the other as they are compeltely different types of comedy.

Seinfeld does require you to watch the early series (which were very short, one being about 4 epsiodes!) and get used to the characters and the programme and then it takes off and just keeps getting better and better and then maintains that high standard. But based on the pilot and the frist few episodes you wouldn't think it wasa classic or even close!

As for the episode "The Contest" at the time for a primetime network sitcom in the USA it was incredibly risque and groundbreaking (not that it should be, but it was!), particularly the fact that a female character was participating. As you said in this thread that shouldn't affect whether you find it funny but it was a really big thing at the time and they deserved credit for risking it.