Newcastle V Fulham Official Match Thread

menace13

Shearer was poor for the last two seasons. He should have been replaced long before now. He still hasn't been. Shola is as good as Shearer was in those last two seasons imo. And he's not good enough.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was wierd again. Even if you quote someone it adds your post to the previous one.

Aye, it needs sorting tbh. Re O'Neill, the way Villa are playing and picking up points at the minute, I'm beginning to rue that one. With a bit of cash to spend he could make things happen there.

It's so frustrating how left-behind we are becoming through Shepherd's incompetence.

Thing is, defence aside (Ramage at LB was always going to spell trouble imo) I was quite happy with the starting midfield. N'Zogbia on the left and Duff on the right seemed like a good idea, it was also working to a certain extent, just the front two didn't look fit (plus Knight on Martins was almost comical)

If we're going to make that work, Duff needs to be told to stick to the wing a bit more IMO. He spent far too much time operating as a central midfielder and not enough time skinning the full back on the wing. I was pleased we played like that though, although I can see it getting changed back in the next game with Zog missing out to Solano.

Worrying thing for me was that that is it as far as our best XI is concerned (more or less). Babayaro would come in for for Ramage but other than that....? Owen would come in but he's out for the season-ish and I don't even think about Dyer anymore.

Shearer was poor for the last two seasons. He should have been replaced long before now. He still hasn't been. Shola is as good as Shearer was in those last two seasons imo. And he's not good enough.

My point is that imo he made other contributions rather than just scoring goals. I am firmly of the belief he had a major part in our revival last year as deputy manager for instance. First and foremost, above his considerable technical ability, he is an intelligent player. How many other players do we have that you can say that about? Does Bramble have a brain underneath that layer of muscle?

Yes he was old and imo probably stayed a year too long, but to simply not replace him was madness.

I was wondering how much our RB and LB are responsible for making our CB`s look completely shite. When I watch the likes of Man U and Chelski you notice Terry or Ferdinand hardly have much to do as the RB`s and LB`s won`t let the crosses in if it kills them. Surely our CB`s are the last line of defense before the keeper.

Are we missing Shearer on the post stopping the corners come in and across goal?

I would subscribe to that view to a degree, however the fact that you're just as likely to see other teams tearing us apart by running stright through the middle of our defence leads me to conclude that the CB's are still utterly fucking sub-standard.

PS I know we don't have a Makelele type etc. either but then only one or two teams do have a player of that calibre in that position. The excuses have to end somewhere.

My point is that imo he made other contributions rather than just scoring goals. I am firmly of the belief he had a major part in our revival last year as deputy manager for instance. First and foremost, above his considerable technical ability, he is an intelligent player. How many other players do we have that you can say that about? Does Bramble have a brain underneath that layer of muscle?

Yes he was old and imo probably stayed a year too long, but to simply not replace him was madness.

A source I know reckons Shearer's input was minimal as 'deputy manager' to say the least. Could be bollocks but there you go.

Just had a look there and we have 19 league games between now and when the window re-opens (I've included Man United on New Year's Day cos that pretty much counts as the window still being closed). We could be in serious trouble by then. I don't mean relegation necessarily, but certainly bottom half of the table and needing a lot of work to get into the European spots - I think the standard of other teams has improved in the close season to the point where 15 to 7th revivals are not going to be quite as easy as they were last season too.

I blame the transfer window. Nobody likes it you know. It's not just Roeder. (According to his programme notes at the weekend :nono: )

I was wondering how much our RB and LB are responsible for making our CB`s look completely shite. When I watch the likes of Man U and Chelski you notice Terry or Ferdinand hardly have much to do as the RB`s and LB`s won`t let the crosses in if it kills them. Surely our CB`s are the last line of defense before the keeper.

Are we missing Shearer on the post stopping the corners come in and across goal?

I would subscribe to that view to a degree, however the fact that you're just as likely to see other teams tearing us apart by running stright through the middle of our defence leads me to conclude that the CB's are still utterly fucking sub-standard.

PS I know we don't have a Makelele type etc. either but then only one or two teams do have a player of that calibre in that position. The excuses have to end somewhere.

The fullbacks probably do let too many crosses into the box. The centre-backs then fail to deal with them properly. Suggests the back four are a problem full stop. A decent centre-half marking McBride though and we win 1-0.

A source I know reckons Shearer's input was minimal as 'deputy manager' to say the least. Could be bollocks but there you go.

Well something has gone seriously wrong with our game plan this year compared to last, because we look clueless. That may be mainly down to the playing staff though I suppose. Parker at least showed his worth but it was downhill when he went off.

Who has Roeder got in his entourage to give him advice now btw? Serious question, I don't know. Clark? McDermott?

Well something has gone seriously wrong with our game plan this year compared to last, because we look clueless. That may be mainly down to the playing staff though I suppose. Parker at least showed his worth but it was downhill when he went off.

Who has Roeder got in his entourage to give him advice now btw? Serious question, I don't know. Clark? McDermott?

Shearer was supposed to be a coach all of last season wasn't he? We only looked any good when Roeder took over. I agree re: things going downhill. It was reminiscent of Souness being in charge.

Just had a look there and we have 19 league games between now and when the window re-opens (I've included Man United on New Year's Day cos that pretty much counts as the window still being closed). We could be in serious trouble by then. I don't mean relegation necessarily, but certainly bottom half of the table and needing a lot of work to get into the European spots - I think the standard of other teams has improved in the close season to the point where 15 to 7th revivals are not going to be quite as easy as they were last season too.

I blame the transfer window. Nobody likes it you know. It's not just Roeder. (According to his programme notes at the weekend :nono: )

I expect the following at least to finish above us:

ManU

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

Liverpool

Villa

Pompey

Boro

Everton

Bolton

West Ham

Europe isn't happening next year.

I blame the transfer window. Nobody likes it you know. It's not just Roeder. (According to his programme notes at the weekend B) )

I expect the following at least to finish above us:

ManU

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

Liverpool

Villa

Pompey

Boro

Everton

Bolton

West Ham

Europe isn't happening next year.

Worryingly, it's difficult to argue that I could see us finishing above any of those listed. Any and every game we go into we are at the mercy of the back four, and I would expect them to let us down more often than not even in games we should win (like the weekend).

I blame the transfer window. Nobody likes it you know. It's not just Roeder. (According to his programme notes at the weekend B) )

Sounds like the excuses have started in earnest, his no-shit apporach was one of the few things I liked about him as manager. Oh well.

Look who we conceivable could have got for the money we spent:

Anelka, Hasselbaink, Campbell, Trabelsi, Sorin and still probably have got Duff. Andy Johnson looks a canny buy so far too. I'm allowed to employ hindsight on the last one given NUFC are allowed to employ full-time scouts and coaches to look at players B)

Aye, clapped off and clapped the fans back. Not sure what gimpy Glenn is on about tbh. I'm also not sure what he's on about where he says he "saw enough to suggest that Shola and Oba will make a very successful partnership." Now I'm all for talking the players up, but not at the expense of something remotely resembling the truth.

Anelka, Hasselbaink, Campbell, Trabelsi, Sorin and still probably have got Duff. Andy Johnson looks a canny buy so far too. I'm allowed to employ hindsight on the last one given NUFC are allowed to employ full-time scouts and coaches to look at players B)

I've still only seen Kuijt's debut for 30 odd minutes for Liverpool, but he looked exactly right to replace Shearer. I still have a lot of faith in Martins, but I think I realised Roeder was a bit of a mentalist with that whole fiasco.

Aye, clapped off and clapped the fans back. Not sure what gimpy Glenn is on about tbh. I'm also not sure what he's on about where he says he "saw enough to suggest that Shola and Oba will make a very successful partnership." Now I'm all for talking the players up, but not at the expense of something remotely resembling the truth.

Shows contempt for the fans, to be honest.

I noticed that ridiculous quote too - it does him no favours.

Perhaps we all thought he was a good plain talker last year because we were doing OK. Now we are playing shite the bullshit kicks in.

All we care about is what is happening on the pitch, not excuses. You can't fool us Glenn.

I've still only seen Kuijt's debut for 30 odd minutes for Liverpool, but he looked exactly right to replace Shearer. I still have a lot of faith in Martins, but I think I realised Roeder was a bit of a mentalist with that whole fiasco.

I know he's gone to a team with a lot more confidence than us, and with much better players than us all over the park which helps (oh and a proper manager and coaching setup too), but he's certainly adapted quicker. Whether there is more of a marked difference between Italian/Prem and Dutch/Prem, I don't know, but I would have thought it was Kuyt that was being asked to make the bigger step up.

Guest Patrokles

Neither Roeder nor the players have offered any excuses whatsoever for poor team performances, or shoddy defending- in fact, completely the opposite-, so this is a myth that needs nipped in the bud. As for backing your new signings rather than publically criticising them? Fair enough.

Also, as predicted, whoever we didn't sign suddenly become god-like and exactly what we needed. Despite various claims to the contrary before they signed for someone else.

Edited by Patrokles

Neither Roeder nor the players have offered any excuses whatsoever for poor team performances, or shoddy defending- in fact, completely the opposite-, so this is a myth that needs nipped in the bud. As for backing your new signings rather than publically criticising them? People have a problem with that?

There's nothing to criticise re Martins, but equally there hasn't been a lot to praise. Telling us that they'll make a good partnership when there was literally NOTHING to support that statement is idiotic and it doesn't do Roeder any favours. Saying he's hopeful, I wouldn't have a problem with. Saying the evidence is there for all to see is bullshit.

Re the bit you just added to your post re signings we missed out on, plenty people were saying we should be getting these players while the window was open, whilst you maintained your "I trust Glenn, all will be well." stance. Who turned out to be right that time?

Neither Roeder nor the players have offered any excuses whatsoever for poor team performances, or shoddy defending- in fact, completely the opposite-, so this is a myth that needs nipped in the bud. As for backing your new signings rather than publically criticising them? Fair enough.

Also, as predicted, whoever we didn't sign suddenly become god-like and exactly what we needed. Despite various claims to the contrary before they signed for someone else.

What about the excuses about transfer windows?

Also did you see any evidence that Ameobi and Martins successfully connected. Granted it's early days but it sounds suspiciously of BS to me.

Patrokles, did you used to have a different user name out of interest?