Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schumacher's tainted legacy - Beeb

By Andrew Benson

Motorsport editor

Michael Schumacher will head into retirement at the end of this season as the most successful Grand Prix driver of all time, but whether he will be regarded as the greatest is another matter altogether.

On pure talent and accomplishments alone, Schumacher belongs in the same bracket as the very best in the history of the sport - the likes of Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Gilles Villeneuve, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.

But greatness is about more than ability and trophies. It is also about character and integrity, and that is where Schumacher's claim falls down.

Many of Schumacher's greatest races - breathtaking against-the-odds performances such as his victories at Barcelona 1996, Belgium 1997, Hungary 1998 and Canada 2003 - will go down in the annals of the sport.

On a personal level, I have no problem with Schumacher. He might be hard to get to one-to-one, but once you pin him down he is always affable, pleasant and helpful.

But with all the wonder of Schumacher's talent, and his down-to-earth private persona, comes a dark side. The two are inseparable. And that is what tarnishes his legacy.

Too often - particularly so for one of his talent - Schumacher has relied on the unfair advantage to win, either created by himself with controversial manoeuvres on the track or in various means by his backers off it.

Sadly, the length of the list of these incidents rivals that of his best drives.

Few would have said Damon Hill deserved to be world drivers' champion in 1994 more than Schumacher, but the circumstances in which the German won his first title clouded the achievement.

And there have been few years since then in which Schumacher has not been involved in some row or another.

In the first few seasons of his career, as Schumacher protested his innocence in these incidents, many observers were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, as the evidence has stacked up against him, an increasing number have come to accept this as an indelible part of Schumacher's character.

'Lack of class'

In moments of extreme pressure - and sometimes not even then - his first reaction is often to protect his position by unsporting means. For a long time, his elevated status in the sport insulated him from the severest public criticism, which tended to come from the media and other outsiders, and was thus more easily shrugged off.

But in recent years the indulgence with which he is treated has evaporated, which explains why the gamesmanship he employed to stop qualifying in Monaco this year met with such a violent reaction from his fellow drivers.

Tolerance of what many now see as little better than cheating has been at an all-time low this season. Partly this is out of a sense that time was running out on his career, but just as much it is a case of many of his peers finally feeling that enough was enough.

Few would concur with Jacques Villeneuve's recent claim that Schumacher's questionable ethics mean that "the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him" - his 90 Grand Prix wins and seven world titles, plus all his other achievements, will ensure quite the opposite.

But what Villeneuve calls his "lack of class" certainly means Schumacher will not be remembered in quite the way he might have wanted.

Too bloody right...

I have mixed feelings on Scum's retirement. For one, he's been involved in the sport for 15 years and it'll seem odd him not being on the grid.

But there's no hiding the fact that he was a lousy cheating bastard. Jimbo, you said earlier that he was respected by all. Not here, I appreciate his driving abilities but the man lost any respect from me due to his crazy actions when usually under pressure.

Raikkonen in a Ferrari against Alonso in a McLaren....I can't wait!

Senna did indeed cheat at Japan in 1990. The difference between the two is that Senna said he was going to do it and carried out his threat, never denying it...

Schumacher to this day claims he was totally innocent at Adelaide 94, Jerez 97 & Monaco 04.

If Schumacher's a cheat then so was Senna. Maybe Schumi could die before the end of the season to help his reputation.

I only read this thread hoping that someone would have called him "Schumi", so I could take the piss. I'm disappointed that it was you, Meenzer. :nono:

If Schumacher's a cheat then so was Senna. Maybe Schumi could die before the end of the season to help his reputation.

I only read this thread hoping that someone would have called him "Schumi", so I could take the piss. I'm disappointed that it was you, Meenzer. :nono:

I was only doing it to vary my language - proofreader's brain, y'see. Well, it was either that or "Mikey-babes"... :aye:

If F1 was anything other than a total snoozefest, I'd maybe contribute something worthwhile to this thread.

As things stand............ :nono:

Tell you what, why not start a decent thread of your own.

Have you ever started a decent thread btw? :aye:

Just as a quick aside, what was it that happened in Monaco '04 relating to Schumi? I can't seem to remember, was it something in qualifying?

He pressed a button on his dashboard and blades came out of the side of his tyres, mangling his opponent's car. It'll either be that or the infamous "Oil Slick" button.

Just as a quick aside, what was it that happened in Monaco '04 relating to Schumi? I can't seem to remember, was it something in qualifying?

He pressed a button on his dashboard and blades came out of the side of his tyres, mangling his opponent's car. It'll either be that or the infamous "Oil Slick" button.

The swine.

If only - now that would make F1 worth watching.