Holocaust deniers.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

So you're speaking to someone who calls themself a historian. You chat about some stuff maybe the decline and fall of the Roman empire and the frustrations of the dark ages when they say. I don't believe the Holocaust took place. What do you do. Just stand upa nd say goodbye or slap them?

Educate them. Incidentally my eldest studied 20th century european history last year and not one thing was said about the Holocaust.

So you're speaking to someone who calls themself a historian. You chat about some stuff maybe the decline and fall of the Roman empire and the frustrations of the dark ages when they say. I don't believe the Holocaust took place. What do you do. Just stand upa nd say goodbye or slap them?

Educate them. Incidentally my eldest studied 20th century european history last year and not one thing was said about the Holocaust.

Do you think that would work? Seriously, given they call themselves a historian.

That's shocking, especially in the US, possibly even more so in Connecticut.

To be honest in Uni we were educated heavily about the Holocaust..

I dont understand how people can deny it..

Plus the BBC showed a few good documentaries

the austwich series was quite educational

Why more so in Connecticut? I just found it shocking in general how much is lacking in his education now. For all that I do believe americans are ignorant of the world around them in general I really couldn't believe the curriculum he was being taught. It was so glossed over! War is a harsh thing no matter what but you'd have thought from what he had been taught that the Holocaust was nothing more than a playground spat between on kid who celebrates Christmas vs Hannuka. Even speaking with his teacher, the sheer scope of the purge wasn't even broached.

Why more so in Connecticut? I just found it shocking in general how much is lacking in his education now. For all that I do believe americans are ignorant of the world around them in general I really couldn't believe the curriculum he was being taught. It was so glossed over! War is a harsh thing no matter what but you'd have thought from what he had been taught that the Holocaust was nothing more than a playground spat between on kid who celebrates Christmas vs Hannuka. Even speaking with his teacher, the sheer scope of the purge wasn't even broached.

Just the high concentration (Jesus Wept) of Jewish people in Connecticut.

:lol:

I shouldn't be laughing but :lol:

I don't know where you got your statistics for the Jewish percentile in CT vs other states but I would (somewhat)safely assume that other than maybe the western area of CT closest to NY would have a higher concentration, but not the state in general. I could very easily be wrong admittedly, but I don't think so. Not that it matters really...a person's religious preference isn't something that has a huge impact on me.

Edited by Mags

I don't know where you got your statistics for the Jewish percentile in CT vs other states but I would (somewhat)safely assume that other than maybe the western area of CT closest to NY would have a higher concentration, but not the state in general. I could very easily be wrong admittedly, but I don't think so. Not that it matters to me really...a person's religious preference isn't something that has a huge impact on me.

No, I believe you're bang on, mainly close to New York, and Hartford. I didn't mean that Connecticut was exceptional to most of New England in that regard, but that in the US generally it would be a high percentage.

I'm not particularly interested, but it's hard not to notice the Jewish population with an interest in US politics. [/CanOWorms]

I don't know where you got your statistics for the Jewish percentile in CT vs other states but I would (somewhat)safely assume that other than maybe the western area of CT closest to NY would have a higher concentration, but not the state in general. I could very easily be wrong admittedly, but I don't think so. Not that it matters to me really...a person's religious preference isn't something that has a huge impact on me.

No, I believe you're bang on, mainly close to New York, and Hartford. I didn't mean that Connecticut was exceptional to most of New England in that regard, but that in the US generally it would be a high percentage.

I'm not particularly interested, but it's hard not to notice the Jewish population with an interest in US politics. [/CanOWorms]

In isolated areas then maybe the Jewish population would hold a sway on politics, but for the country in general you have to look to the religious right and catholicism.... isn't that right Mr. President. Oh now wait just a second... schools are teaching a glossed over history that excludes an event that the Catholic church was notoriously ambivalent on... :lol:

In isolated areas then maybe the Jewish population would hold a sway on politics, but for the country in general you have to look to the religious right and catholicism.... isn't that right Mr. President. Oh now wait just a second... schools are teaching a glossed over history that excludes an event that the Catholic church was notoriously ambivalent on... :lol:

Amen to that.

I did 20th Century History for GCSE and we didn't cover the Second World War!

We covered it at GCSE and A Level - complete overload. A Level tended to be more about the rise of the Third Reich, but I'd had enough by the end.

Yeah, we've covered it in both as well! You do get a bit sick of it!