What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

The Smiths- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

I've always liked the Smiths, but only from afar. Just the popular singles, How Soon Is Now, This Charming Man and that.

As I lay awake all night though Morrisey's foppish voice was constantly going through my head, so for the Metro in I hoyed on their John Peel Sessions. Normally I'd read and have music for background, but I never bothered today. Just luxuriated in the jangliness of Jonny Marr's guitar. I never saw the fuss over him, but it just seemed to click today. I've put Hatful Of Hollow straight on after which I've suddenly got with the program on and realise is fucking brilliant song after fucking brilliant song.

Think I'll have a Smiths day. Louder than Bombs and Meat is Murder to follow, then perhaps the singles.

Guest Patrokles
The Smiths- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

I've always liked the Smiths, but only from afar. Just the popular singles, How Soon Is Now, This Charming Man and that.

As I lay awake all night though Morrisey's foppish voice was constantly going through my head, so for the Metro in I hoyed on their John Peel Sessions. Normally I'd read and have music for background, but I never bothered today. Just luxuriated in the jangliness of Jonny Marr's guitar. I never saw the fuss over him, but it just seemed to click today. I've put Hatful Of Hollow straight on after which I've suddenly got with the program on and realise is fucking brilliant song after fucking brilliant song.

Think I'll have a Smiths day. Louder than Bombs and Meat is Murder to follow, then perhaps the singles.

Queen is Dead?

If you like jangly guitars, btw, I could fix you up with a lot of stuff. :razz:

Guest Patrokles
If you like jangly guitars, btw, I could fix you up with a lot of stuff. :razz:

Recommend away my good man.

The June Brides, Razorcuts, Man From Delmonte, Josef K (at a push), Orange Juice (of course), The Bat's 'Daddy's Highway' album, The Verlaines, Wolfhounds, The dB's, The Feelies, Go-Betweens, Grant McLennan's 'Fireboy' album, 10, 00 Maniacs.

There are probably more and also not all of the bands above are Smiths-esque. But they all jangle.

Guest Patrokles
I bought some Orange Juice on that recommendation btw. Some people do listen to you. Not many, but some :razz:

The important ones do, yes. :razz:

What did you get? Did you like it? Very much recommend the June Brides if you did.

I bought some Orange Juice on that recommendation btw. Some people do listen to you. Not many, but some :razz:

What did you get? Did you like it? Very much recommend the June Brides if you did.

Just got the very best of. Obviously I'd heard 'Rip It Up'. It's quality btw.

Guest Patrokles

Just got the very best of. Obviously I'd heard 'Rip It Up'. It's quality btw.

Satellite City & Tender Object are fantastic songs. I Can't Help Myself, too. Felicity as well. I assume they're all on it? I seem to recall it was a very good collection, that best of.

Full tracklisting here:

1. Falling And Laughing

2. Consolation Prize

3. You Old Eccentric

4. LOVE Love

5. Felicity

6. In A Nutshell

7. Rip It Up

8. I Can't Help Myself

9. Flesh Of My Flesh

10. Tenterhooks

11. Bridge

12. Day I Went Down To Texas

13. Punch Drunk

14. Place In My Heart

15. Sad Lament

16. Lean Period

17. I Guess I'm Just A Little Too Sensitive

18. Scaremonger

19. Artisans

20. Salmon Fishing In New York

21. What Presence

22. Out For The Count

I'm shit with remembering names though. That's CD's for you.

Guest Patrokles

You should get hold of an album or two as well. There are some good songs still to hear. Or, see my N-O PM.