HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Kid Dynamite

I still have a MiniDisc player and plenty of MiniDiscs. The pre-recorded market never took off but the market for using them as re-writable media was thriving a few years back.

Combining CD quality with the versatility of cassettes, I still prefer it as re-writable media to a CD-RW :good:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a MiniDisc player and plenty of MiniDiscs. The pre-recorded market never took off but the market for using them as re-writable media was thriving a few years back.

Combining CD quality with the versatility of cassettes, I still prefer it as re-writable media to a CD-RW :good:

who you kidding. mp3s killed minidisc stone dead!

Like i pointed out before, sony last 2 'innovations' betamax and mini disc bombed terribly. Ive a feeling that the late arrival and daft price of the ps3 (£450 for the HD version) will see a lot of people leaning towards HD-DVD.

The thousands of middle aged men who paid £2k for hd tvs from currys not actually knowing what they do will probably latch onto the fact that hd-dvds go with hd tvs and that you have to buy a blu ray tv to watch blu ray dvds. never underestimate the stupidity of the british middle classes!

Where the hell is that from? :good: Considering there is no such thing as a blu-ray TV, I doubt that people will invent one in their own mind tbh.Oh, and the 'cheaper' PS3 will have HD output, Sony confirmed it recently. The doubts still remain as to whether we will get that version at all though.

:D

I've got a 32" telly like, but it's not HD, and I'm already paying a tenner extra a month for the multiroom, so I'm not gonna pay another tenner for HD. Which reminds me - I need to ring Sky and threaten to leave again so that they give me my subscription for half price. :D

Just did that and now have a lovely 25% discount for 12 months :good: I was offered half price but only for 3 months.

I've got a 32" telly like, but it's not HD, and I'm already paying a tenner extra a month for the multiroom, so I'm not gonna pay another tenner for HD. Which reminds me - I need to ring Sky and threaten to leave again so that they give me my subscription for half price. :D

Just did that and now have a lovely 25% discount for 12 months :good: I was offered half price but only for 3 months.

Nice one. I did it a few months back and have forgot to ring them again. I'll take the 25% discount though cos otherwise I just keep forgetting and it works out the same anyway.

Same here. I always create my megamixes on MD then transfer to CD afterwards.

who you kidding. mp3s killed minidisc stone dead!

In terms of popularity, I agree - in terms of quaility, MP3 is excellent, but it's slightly inferior.

Have you ever played an mp3 through a decent sound system? Even a high bit-rate, it still has short-comings in terms of clarity. On a standard system, you can't notice the difference.

As I said, the market was thriving a few years back and I prefer them as re-writable media!

I've got a 32" telly like, but it's not HD, and I'm already paying a tenner extra a month for the multiroom, so I'm not gonna pay another tenner for HD. Which reminds me - I need to ring Sky and threaten to leave again so that they give me my subscription for half price. :no

I'm doing something similar with NTL for broadband. They can't for the life of them understand why I haven't transferred to their broadband service from dial-up. They are evidently keen to switch off the dial-up and are offering incentives in order to do so.

The latest offer from them is 2meg broadband at £7.99 a month for the next 3 years (before it reverts to it's standard price). I'm waiting til they drop that to a fiver and then I'll sign up! :D

Billie Piper ~ Day & Night (Almighty Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #1

Jessica Simpson ~ I Wanna Love You Forever (Soda Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #7

Enrique Iglesias ~ Be With You (Thunderpuss Club Mix) [2000] - not released

Christina Aguilera ~ What A Girl Wants (Thunderpuss Fiesta Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #3

Whitney Houston ~ I Learned From The Best (HQ2 Club Mix) [2000] - not released

Did you put that vote in yourself? wink

Have you ever played an mp3 through adecent[/b] sound system? Even a high bit-rate, it still has short-comings in terms of clarity. On a standard system, you can't notice the difference.

Excellent BBCode usage there Mr Hayton! :good:

Billie Piper ~ Day & Night (Almighty Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #1

Jessica Simpson ~ I Wanna Love You Forever (Soda Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #7

Enrique Iglesias ~ Be With You (Thunderpuss Club Mix) [2000] - not released

Christina Aguilera ~ What A Girl Wants (Thunderpuss Fiesta Club Mix) [2000] - Highest Chart Pos. #3

Whitney Houston ~ I Learned From The Best (HQ2 Club Mix) [2000] - not released

Did you put that vote in yourself? wink

:good:

Have you ever played an mp3 through adecent[/b] sound system? Even a high bit-rate, it still has short-comings in terms of clarity. On a standard system, you can't notice the difference.

Excellent BBCode usage there Mr Hayton! :good:

:no

It's amended! :D

I've got a 32" telly like, but it's not HD, and I'm already paying a tenner extra a month for the multiroom, so I'm not gonna pay another tenner for HD. Which reminds me - I need to ring Sky and threaten to leave again so that they give me my subscription for half price. :icon_lol:

Just did that and now have a lovely 25% discount for 12 months :no I was offered half price but only for 3 months.

I'm doing something similar with NTL for broadband. They can't for the life of them understand why I haven't transferred to their broadband service from dial-up. They are evidently keen to switch off the dial-up and are offering incentives in order to do so.

The latest offer from them is 2meg broadband at £7.99 a month for the next 3 years (before it reverts to it's standard price). I'm waiting til they drop that to a fiver and then I'll sign up! :D

:good:

Hmm.. wonder if they'll offer me any discount if I threaten to cancel. :D

jive bunny mega mixes?

Come on everybody, c-c-come on everybody. We're gonna do the twist. We're gonna do the twist. W-W-We're gonna do the twist and it goes like THIS.

Oh my.

I had the Jive Bunny album tbh. :good:

*ahem* Me too! :D

Surely anyone with any sense will wait until a) it becomes apparent which of the two formats will be most popular and b ) the prices come down.

The dweebs who have to be first to own these things either end up buying the wrong one or paying massively over the odds.

Which is why I'd be a bit narced if I wanted to buy a PS3 and was being forced to shell out massively to early-adopt to blu-ray.

Strangely my mate dug out a Jive Bunny LP in the othernight and put it on.

Edited by BlueStar

There are dual-format players coming to the market anyway that will negate the need to chose. By the time they become affordable though I'd imagine the fate of next-gen DVD will be more or less decided.

They've even invented discs capable of storing HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD Media all on the same disc.

There are dual-format players coming to the market anyway that will negate the need to chose. By the time they become affordable though I'd imagine the fate of next-gen DVD will be more or less decided.

They've even invented discs capable of storing HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD Media all on the same disc.

That's all very well, but do they play betamax?