Moscow

Holden McGroin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one of those people who wants everything for next to nowt on holiday but Sweden is pretty expensive by all accounts.

Iceland was expensive to visit last year, but then again, as long as you aren't staying too long or intend to be out on the piss the entire time, the cost isn't so great.

You were too busy roasting puffins in your hotel room by all accounts.

I've always thought of Denmark, Norway and Sweden as constituting Scandinavia itself, with those three plus Finland and Iceland making up what you'd call the Nordic countries. I'm sure there are no hard-and-fast rules though, same as the "is Cyprus in Europe or the Middle East?" argument and all the rest of them. You get used to this kind of thing when you fraternise with Eurovision fans. :calmdown:

Stockholm is a lovely place and you can do it on a reasonable budget, but yeah, I'm not so sure November's the time to be visiting.

Thinking about heading over that way now that I have found a friend.. Possibly for about 5days.

Anyone been before?

you need a visa - because we are tough on russians coming this way they are tough on us so it will cost you a few quid (maybe £80). Plus allow a month with your passport in London.

You also need a "letter of invitation" to go with your visa application - normally from a company rather than your mate. If you stay anywhere but an approved hotel you must immediatley register with the local police - failure to do so will lead to a sweaty session with the police at least and REALl trouble at the airport when you leave.

Best to book on a tour where all this crap is handled for you (at a cost) and then slip the receptionist at your hotel a few $$$ to stamp you in for the duration and then head of with yer mates

DO NOT GET A TAXI from Sheremtyevo - there are decent buses

Moscow is actually a great city - world class, loads to do, fabulous lasses, the people are so-so friendly (much as paris or Landahn) - I really like it BUT its not like going to Marbella for the weekend

Edited by Rob W

So glad I found this thread.

Got a major dilemma. I've been teaching on and off abroad for the last 12 years. Got a nice little side-earner as well that was recently featured in the help section. Thanks to Peaspud, the usurper was soon scared off.

Anyways, I've been offered two jobs, either side of my last country, Poland, where I spent a happy 8 years living the life of riley in Warszawa.

Here's the choice- a short-term contract in St. Petersburg till Christmas, or a similar contract in a small town in Jormany. I know that St. Petersburg will be the wild east, full of surprises of both the good and bad variety, and Jormany will be a safe option to spend the run up to Xmas quaffing fine pilsner in a picturesque small town of 20,000 people.

St. Petersburg pays less, but there's more VFM, but only if I'm sensible. With Jormany, with a lack of distactions in a small town, I could quite easily come back to the UK at Christmas with a couple of grand saved.

I speak feck all Jorman and can barely read, let alone speak Russian, so settling in would be just as mad in either place.

What would you do?

Depends how middle-of-nowhere the German opportunity is. For all the rail system's great, you don't want to be stuck in a total backwater (and/or having to shell out for a car) in the autumn/winter months when all you're likely to think about is what you've given up in the shape of Petersburg and the bright lights. I imagine the latter is probably about the safest (i.e. most patronisingly "safe" and "western") way to do Russia for a while, too. That said, Germany is basically solid and reliable, and if you're within striking distance of a big city, there'll be plenty to keep you entertained without any of the unpredictability of Russia.

Well that was helpful. :calmdown:

Thanks for te replies. My gut reaction says SP, but my head and my wallet say Deutschland. I'd be in a place called 'Alsfeld'. Sounds too much like 'Ass felt' for my liking, tbh. But it does have a brewery :calmdown: Any decent clubs nearby for temporary adoption?

Oo, that really is a bit middle-of-nowhere. Nearest top-flight club as the crow flies is probably Eintracht Frankfurt, but Isegrim will kill you if you start supporting them. Bet all the locals are Bayern fans anyway. :calmdown:

Thanks for te replies. My gut reaction says SP, but my head and my wallet say Deutschland. I'd be in a place called 'Alsfeld'. Sounds too much like 'Ass felt' for my liking, tbh. But it does have a brewery :calmdown: Any decent clubs nearby for temporary adoption?

Alsfeld is not too far away from where I was born. I actually don't think it will match St. Petersburg as a city. And Meenzer is also right about it being in the middle of nowhere, you would live in the outer region of what some call "Hessian Siberia".

The next and only club in the region is Hessen Kassel and if you start supporting Frankfurt I will come and get you when I make a trip home. :calmdown:

Got a major dilemma. I've been teaching on and off abroad for the last 12 years. Got a nice little side-earner as well that was recently featured in the help section. Thanks to Peaspud, the usurper was soon scared off.

Anyways, I've been offered two jobs, either side of my last country, Poland, where I spent a happy 8 years living the life of riley in Warszawa.

Here's the choice- a short-term contract in St. Petersburg till Christmas, or a similar contract in a small town in Jormany. I know that St. Petersburg will be the wild east, full of surprises of both the good and bad variety, and Jormany will be a safe option to spend the run up to Xmas quaffing fine pilsner in a picturesque small town of 20,000 people.

St. Petersburg pays less, but there's more VFM, but only if I'm sensible. With Jormany, with a lack of distactions in a small town, I could quite easily come back to the UK at Christmas with a couple of grand saved.

I speak feck all Jorman and can barely read, let alone speak Russian, so settling in would be just as mad in either place.

What would you do?

germany I love the place.

What would you do?

you can go to Jormany any time - with all the visa hassle fixed by your employers makes Russia A MUST

What would you do?

you can go to Jormany any time - with all the visa hassle fixed by your employers makes Russia A MUST

After reading about Russia on this thread, including posts from you, I have no intention of ever going to Mother Russia.

"After reading about Russia on this thread, including posts from you, I have no intention of ever going to Mother Russia."

naaaaaaaaaaaaa - its really great - I LOVE Moscow

It's just not easy to get there on your own - mind its a bloody sight easier than driving from Norway to Murmansk - then you have all the car papers as well......................

always remember two software salesman who turned up at our office each in a brand new Porsche

The MD spotted them and afterwards just said" we don't do business with companies like that " and he MEANT it..........................

always remember two software salesman who turned up at our office each in a brand new Porsche

The MD spotted them and afterwards just said" we don't do business with companies like that " and he MEANT it..........................

This was in Russia, right?