Parker: United are in a dogfight

Scottish Mag

Scott Parker inisists his Newcastle United are playing their best football since he arrived at the club - but warned they are still involved in a Premiership relegation fight.

The Magpies' failure to convert their chances against Parker's old club Charlton Athletic on Saturday, combined with West Ham United's victory over Blackburn Rovers last night, left Newcastle just one place above the relegation zone ten games into the campaign.

And although impressed by the quality of his side's performance in the 0-0 draw with the Addicks, United's captain is refusing to shirk from reality.

"Yes, of course that's the reality we are in," said the 26-year-old when asked if his club was in a relegation fight. "We are near the bottom of the table and it isn't looking good. There's no doubt we should be up the table, we are a big enough club to be up there. It won't be too long before it all clicks and we get a great result."

The England midfielder, though, has no qualms with his side's performances.

"I think it's the best we have played for a long while and I include last year in that," said the player who joined from Chelsea in the summer of 2005.

"We played some great stuff and the first half was absolute domination of the game. If the game had ended up 4-0 everyone would have said deservedly so. It hasn't turned out like that and that's the way it is going for us at this moment.

"For 60-70 minutes we dominated and looked a class above them, really. But if you don't put your chances away it is going to be harder as the game goes on.

"It gives them something to hang on to, which they did. The performances are certainly there but the points ain't. It's a bit of a worry but we keep going."

Nevertheless, Parker is not prepared to let his team fall into the trap of believing they are too good to go down. He warned: "We could go through the season saying we are playing well and not winning and that doesn't keep you in the league. We need to win games and if that means playing rubbish and winning, so be it."

Parker did, however, point out the difference with the side's form at the turn of the year, which cost then-manager Graeme Souness his job.

"Last time the performances weren't there and the result weren't either," he said. "We were struggling a bit. We looked bitty. The good thing now is the performances are there. Confidence and belief is better.

"But we are not going to kid ourselves, we are in the results business. You can play as well as you want but if you are not winning it is not good enough and we all know that.

"We are all under pressure. We need to win games. We are playing well so there is confidence there and it's just getting that result. Once we do we can kick on from there."

United's undoing on Saturday was an inability to convert chances but Parker was impressed with a front two of Giuseppe Rossi and Damien Duff.

The latter was making his first Newcastle start up front, the former his maiden Premiership start in any position for the club.

"Rossi is a young boy who has done brilliantly for us," said Parker. "Damien was brilliant as well. When the (transfer) window shut we knew we were light in the striker department. It is showing at the moment.

"That's the hand we have been dealt. We can't whinge, we have to just get on with it. Obviously the legend that Alan Shearer is you are going to miss him.

Scott Parker inisists his Newcastle United are playing their best football since he arrived at the club - but warned they are still involved in a Premiership relegation fight.

If he can't play better he should probably take a 90% pay cut...

I think we are going to be very close to relegation this season tbh.

Any team who can't score goals is going to struggle and when you add that to our defence who are likely to gift goals every time they walk onto the pitch the future doesn't look bright at all.

We also have a manager who doesn't have a clue how or when to change things (Solano did nothing after the first ten minutes of the second half but Milner wasn't brought on til the last five minutes or so) and when things don't go our way we start to lose our bottle. We pissed all over (an admitedly awfull) Charlton for the first hour or so but we didn't score then we fell to bits and were shite for the last half hour.

All of this looks worryingly like a team that is facing the drop!

"Rossi is a young boy who has done brilliantly for us," said Parker. "Damien was brilliant as well. When the (transfer) window shut we knew we were light in the striker department. It is showing at the moment.

So there you are, Freddie and Rodders, your club captain has told everyone that a striker must be bought in January.

No ifs or buts, a striker MUST be bought.

Now then, for the other departments......... Lucas Neill ? Wont happen. Why? Because Rodders has gone out on a limb to tell everyone who'll listen that Carr is in the form of his life, that's why.

Upson? Deffo. Two or three years too late, but I reckon he'll be here for around £2.5m.

Bridge? Hmmm, not sure now. Why the fuck would he want to come here???

I think we are going to be very close to relegation this season tbh.

Any team who can't score goals is going to struggle and when you add that to our defence who are likely to gift goals every time they walk onto the pitch the future doesn't look bright at all.

We also have a manager who doesn't have a clue how or when to change things (Solano did nothing after the first ten minutes of the second half but Milner wasn't brought on til the last five minutes or so) and when things don't go our way we start to lose our bottle. We pissed all over (an admitedly awfull) Charlton for the first hour or so but we didn't score then we fell to bits and were shite for the last half hour.

All of this looks worryingly like a team that is facing the drop!

i agree.

the clubs that go down are usually those that don't haver a striker that can manager 12-15 goals.

i can't see any of our players scoring double figures and we're still ropey at the back.

it could be a long season.

Guest Patrokles

I have a huge amount of respect for Scott Parker, and every interview he does just confirms that admiration. (mainly off the back of his own personal efforts in games too)

We needed to sign players in the summer tbh. How we're going to attract players to play in a relegation battle is anyone's guess. One thing is for sure, they won't be very good players, if that's the sort of thing that attracts them to a club.

I have a huge amount of respect for Scott Parker, and every interview he does just confirms that admiration. (mainly off the back of his own personal efforts in games too)

100%-er. Shame we didn't have a few more of them tbh.

Parker - I'm not fit to lace Gary Speed or Robert Lee's boots would be a more fitting headine tbh

That hasn't been the captain's responsibility for a while now tbf.

Guest Patrokles

What I like about him is that he's not afraid to criticise, but at the same time you never get the impression that he's anything less than committed to the club and just wants to get things right.

What I like about him is that he's not afraid to criticise, but at the same time you never get the impression that he's anything less than committed to the club and just wants to get things right.

I think that's right, I think he is truly commited to the cause, whether he can drag some of the others up to his level of commitment is questionable.