Christmas shopping

Scottish Mag

I am usually well clued up on what I intend to buy and have it all sorted early doors, however this year I do not have an idea what to get anyone.. :mellow:

Ditto. Will probably have an online splurge (as it were) at the start of December. Off to Cologne and Hamburg to do the Christmas markets, too, which'll cover a few of the twee parental gifts.

I've bought 3 things which is a complete novelty this early on. Still got the majoirty of it to do though.

Martin, can I come to the Christmas markets with you? :mellow:

Bought the bairn some stuff and got the majority of our christmas spirits (alochol I mean not the the ghost of Christmas past) but nowt for wor lass or the rest of the family yet. Not that they will be getting much as we've got a holiday and next seasons ticket to save for after my mam said she won't pay any more!

Having t'internet at home this year should hopefully get mean we're more organised this year. I've only had one year where I bought things early and it did make the xmas a piece of piss and less stressful. The rest of the time I'm shite.

Will be doing everything I can online. Avoiding the shops at all costs, especially as it gets closer to the time. People lose their fucking minds around Christmas.

And I will NOT be going to Tesco on New Years Eve like last year. People nearly died.

Will be doing everything I can online. Avoiding the shops at all costs, especially as it gets closer to the time. People lose their fucking minds around Christmas.

And I will NOT be going to Tesco on New Years Eve like last year. People nearly died.

Year before last I went to that Tescos on the 23rd to get an emergency xmas present, decided to leave it till midnight in the hope it would be quiet. It was like a Saturday afternoon in there.

Were they in your way to get the last pie :mellow:

Guest Patrokles

There's a really nice pottery shop in town I go to for my mum and my nan. I don't really have any other stuff to buy, usually, though I should get something for my sister this year, and now I have friends here too, so bloody hell!

I've been to the Weinachtsmarkt, the Cologne one. Pretty nice, it snowed a little. We should organise a TT coach trip. :mellow:

I've started early this year, and got some stuff off Amazon.

I got my Mam a 1gb Creative Zen Nano, as she's been thinking about getting an MP3 player for a while. I was going to get her the 500 odd mb one, but the 1gb one was only 5 quid more. Not bad for £45.

I got my Dad the Bob Dylan encyclopedia and a Dylan DVD that was offered with it in one of the Amazon deals. I got him a book about the Stones recording Exile on Main Street and another Stones book in a deal. He's got his birthday on December 1, so I'll give him one lot for that and the other for Christmas, and I might get him one of those world beers packs you can get as well.

Fortunately, I don't buy a lot of presents, I've only got 5 or 6 pressies to get now.

Were they in your way to get the last pie :lol:

I can't remember whether I even went in the shop. The car park was utter bedlam and once you were in there, it was over an hour's wait just to get out of the car park. It's making me angry now just writing about it :mellow: , but I was honestly ready to get out of my car and just indiscriminately kill people.

I got my Mam a 1gb Creative Zen Nano, as she's been thinking about getting an MP3 player for a while. I was going to get her the 500 odd mb one, but the 1gb one was only 5 quid more. Not bad for £45.

I love it when parents and grandparents get hi-tech stuff. :lol: My gran drove around for years in a car with a mini-disc player in it as she had to have it the minute it came out. She's now got a 30GB iPod with a Bose Soundstation, got Sky + installed last week, and now my mam informs me that she's just this past week got a laptop and wireless internet. :mellow: She's 79.

Were they in your way to get the last pie :stars:

I can't remember whether I even went in the shop. The car park was utter bedlam and once you were in there, it was over an hour's wait just to get out of the car park. It's making me angry now just writing about it :mellow: , but I was honestly ready to get out of my car and just indiscriminately kill people.

That was funny :lol:

Ordered our lass a pink DS Lite as a 'surprise' and since they came out the other day and she's already started displaying an interest in getting one. Might have to tell her to stop her buying another.

Fuck's sake, can't keep owt secret. :mellow:

I love it when parents and grandparents get hi-tech stuff. :stars: My gran drove around for years in a car with a mini-disc player in it as she had to have it the minute it came out. She's now got a 30GB iPod with a Bose Soundstation, got Sky + installed last week, and now my mam informs me that she's just this past week got a laptop and wireless internet. :mellow: She's 79.

Makes a change from my mum. My Dad's got a laptop and she won't touch it. The wonders of the internet scare her. She's even asked for a new encyclopedia for Christmas as she 'prefers an actual book!' despite me assuring her you can get all the info online, and in more depth...

The other day my Dad went out and she shouted for my help in a massive worry because when trying to close it down Firefox had asked her if she was sure she wanted to close more than one tab. :lol:

Were they in your way to get the last pie :(

It fucking wasn't! :stars: You on the phone trying to calm me down as the red mist descended. :(

Also, my Mum frequently calls the remote 'the channel changer', and blatantly refuses to take her mobile phone out of the house.

What a doofus!

Edited by nufc4ever

I'm a 23rd of December man.

I think that says it all tbf, Ken. Same here! 20th December would be seen as an early start for me. What the fuck are you mincers shopping for in November exactly? Xmas butt plugs?

It fucking wasn't! :stars: You on the phone trying to calm me down as the red mist descended. :nah:

I think you phoned me about 5 times in that hour to rant. The more wound up you got the more I wanted to giggle but knew I'd get fucking battered :(

Also, my Mum frequently calls the remote 'the channel changer', and blatantly refuses to take her mobile phone out of the house.

What a doofus!

Completely off-topic, but my dad still calls the cashpoint the Speedbank :mellow:

And he wouldn't know where to start with a mobile phone...

Edited by catmag

What a doofus!

Everything computer-related is a "file" for my mother. So she'll have an e-mail problem and tell you "I sent it from my file". Or "There's a picture in my file that I want to send." Inevitably, this degree of accuracy makes familial tech support an absolute joy.

It fucking wasn't! :stars: You on the phone trying to calm me down as the red mist descended. :nah:

I think you phoned me about 5 times in that hour to rant. The more wound up you got the more I wanted to giggle but knew I'd get fucking battered :(

Yers, you did well to stifle those giggles. I was SO unamused. :finger::nah:

Guest Patrokles

What a doofus!

Everything computer-related is a "file" for my mother. So she'll have an e-mail problem and tell you "I sent it from my file". Or "There's a picture in my file that I want to send." Inevitably, this degree of accuracy makes familial tech support an absolute joy.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38572

"After nearly a month, Lillian had finally gotten to the point where she could log onto a web site on her own. Almost every time, however, something unexpected would occur, causing her to panic and call her daughter for help.

"It could be almost anything," Widmar said. "She goes apeshit whenever a pop-up window comes up. And one time, she paged me because she got a message about accepting cookies. She was all freaked out because now she thought she was being charged for actual cookies."

Widmar said her mother still does not grasp the difference between the Internet and e-mail.

"Whenever she wants to send me an e-mail, she says she's going to Internet me,""

"Every time she hears a new word involving computers, she incorporates it into her questions," Widmar said. "Last time she called, she said she couldn't get her e-mail working and that there must be something wrong with her firewall. I tried to explain that she didn't have a firewall, so she said her Java must be broken."

Edited by Patrokles