One shop you would miss

bobbyshinton

If it closed.

For me it would be Slaters, get most of my suits there.

Rob W remember Callers? :lol:

the one I remember was the seafood place in Percy Street - they had a sort of open front and served people in the street - whelks, oysters etc ect

Unfortunately one Saturday they got a bad lot and the BEEB had to preface their national TV & radio broadcasts just before the football results with

"If you ate at Joes in Percy Street in Newcastle today and feel a bit rough GO STRAIGHT TO HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY"

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity but they didn't last long after that............ ;);):icon_lol:

Svens

And I remember Callers on Northumberland Street, roughly where Superdrug is now wasnt it? and if I remember rightly they had a fishpond covered in glass that you walked over (used to scare me shitless!).

*now Im getting old :lol:

Guest Toplass-101

Fenwicks

What is about Ann Summers? :lol:

I wouldnt miss that at all, long as they still do the parties so I can get the upgrades when they come out ;)

Waterstones.

I do like Waterstones, but just because they are the only book stores in most parts of England. What is this whole fixation on franchise chains anyway. Most of the are soulless and I wouldn't miss them at all.

Svens

And I remember Callers on Northumberland Street, roughly where Superdrug is now wasnt it? and if I remember rightly they had a fishpond covered in glass that you walked over (used to scare me shitless!).

*now Im getting old ;)

Sven's is still there is it not? :lol:

Agree with Isegrim and Cath though. I don't know why English speaking countries have lost their independent shops to souless chains, but as far as chains do go Waterstone's is OK, especially the one near the Theatre Royal.

Svens

*now Im getting old ;)

Sven's is still there is it not? ;)

Agree with Isegrim and Cath though. I don't know why English speaking countries have lost their independent shops to souless chains, but as far as chains do go Waterstone's is OK, especially the one near the Theatre Royal.

I much prefer small local bookshops but they're very few and far between. When I lived in Manchester I sometimes used to go across to Holmfirth and they had the most fantastic old bookshop on about 4 levels. The further up the stairs you went the older the books were and it was almost dusty by the time you got to the top. I used to spend hours in there :lol:

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to open a book/coffee shop where people can come and have coffee and read. Lots of comfy old sofa's and home made cakes :icon_lol:

Edited by catmag

H&M

or Travelling Man

what can I say, I like cheap but "pseudo-trendy" clothes" and Comics

not graphic novels, only twats refer to comics as "graphic novels"

Waterstones.

I do like Waterstones, but just because they are the only book stores in most parts of England. What is this whole fixation on franchise chains anyway. Most of the are soulless and I wouldn't miss them at all.

I think Waterstones is pretty average to be honest, just pushes stuff that is either popular or a 'classic'. If you want something a bit out of the ordinary I find Amazon (and their marketplace sellers) far better. I prefer small independent book shops although they are hard to find now. The book shop at The Baltic is good if you like art/design or photography.