Tooj

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maradona much better than Pele tbh

Ah the dimness of youth, how I miss it

Can't remember Pele carrying a team to the World Cup

Can't remember Pele winning an Italian championship for a relatively unknown club

Can't remember Pele scoring goals in many different countries (That didn't include MSL)

The only reason Maradona isn't considered more widespread to be better than Pele is because he isn't an ambassador the way Pele is. Plus he can probably still get a hard-on, blatant sympathy vote tbh

Maradona much better than Pele tbh

Ah the dimness of youth, how I miss it

Can't remember Pele carrying a team to the World Cup

Can't remember Pele winning an Italian championship for a relatively unknown club

Can't remember Pele scoring goals in many different countries (That didn't include MSL)

The only reason Maradona isn't considered more widespread to be better than Pele is because he isn't an ambassador the way Pele is. Plus he can probably still get a hard-on, blatant sympathy vote tbh

Utter rubbish, although it is all personal opinion

Pele was by far and away a much better footballer, he didn't play abroad because players didn't in those days.

Saw them both and there is no question

...................................he didn't play abroad because players didn't in those days.

Not true according to the likes of:-

Franklin(England) to Columbia in 1950

Di Stefano(Argentina) to Columbia in 1949 then Spain in 1953.

Billy Steel(Scotland) to America in 1954.

Puskas(Hungary) to Spain in 1956.

Kocsis(Hungary) to Spain in 1956.

Charles(Wales) to Italy in 1957.

Gerry Hitchens(Englend) to Italy in 1961.

And keep in mind that Pele's debut with Santos was in 1956.

So there were players playing abroad in 'those' days.

...................................he didn't play abroad because players didn't in those days.

Not true according to the likes of:-

Franklin(England) to Columbia in 1950

Di Stefano(Argentina) to Columbia in 1949 then Spain in 1953.

Billy Steel(Scotland) to America in 1954.

Puskas(Hungary) to Spain in 1956.

Kocsis(Hungary) to Spain in 1956.

Charles(Wales) to Italy in 1957.

Gerry Hitchens(Englend) to Italy in 1961.

And keep in mind that Pele's debut with Santos was in 1956.

So there were players playing abroad in 'those' days.

Exception rather than the rule, that's why the world cup used feel like Christmas morning when I ws a kid/younger, you never knew what great players you were going to see until it started.

You hadn't even heard of their names let alone seen them play, and then a Pele/Zico/Eusabio/Cubillas/Beckenbauer/Cruyff (or my personal fave Rivelino) turned up out of the blue.

Was magic compared to watching Alan Foggon each week

The two Hungarians left because of the uprising and it's aftermath BTW

So you've been proved wrong and you say it's an exception?

Kudos.

Wrong/Right, not trying to prove anything, players moving abroad in the 50's/60's/early 70's was an exception is all I'm saying, certainly not like the last 20 years or so.

It was a simple question of the time, if you wanted to scout someone in South America you had to take a boat FFS. (or fly in a Comet and they crashed waaaay too often!!)

There's a list of 7 players been produced for the 50's/60's (two of whom moved for political reasons), I would suggest that a similar list for say the 80's/90's would be significantly longer and render the 7 as akin to nothing. Which was the point I was trying to make.

Perhaps I should have posted "As a rule, players didn't play abroad in those days" it's just semantics and economics, the top European clubs didn't have the cash differential in those days so being a star in Brazil/Columbia/Argentina would make a player, in comparison, no worse off than a star in Madrid or England, so why would they move?

Pele wasnt fit to lace up garrinchas boots tbh.

Rubbish, I'm one of Garrincha's biggest fans, he may have been more unpredictable than Pele but Pele dominated the game for many a year, Garrincha was at his best for about 4 years whereas Pele about treble that, Pele's by far the best all round player of all time, either foot, heading, whatever, Pele had it all, where players like Garrincha and Maradona where both one footed.

Great find

Was just having this discussion with my youngest (19) last night, I said Pele he said Maradonna.

It's not even close

I made it mate. ;)

Pele never played abroad because the Brazilian government declared him a national treasure making it impossible for him to do so. But whenever Santos ended up playing all of the great European sides from that period in particular the catannacio Italians Pele dominated game after game.

On 19 January 1964 in Taca Brasil : Santos won the first leg on 16 January away, beating Gremio 3 - 1, in a game Pele scored one goal. In the return leg, at home, Santos won 4 - 3, with Pele scoring a hat-trick. In this game, Pele had to replace Gilmar, who was ejected, and made 2 spectacular saves including a penalty to take Santos to the finals of Taca Brasil where they met Bahia.

Rubbish, I'm one of Garrincha's biggest fans, he may have been more unpredictable than Pele but Pele dominated the game for many a year, Garrincha was at his best for about 4 years whereas Pele about treble that, Pele's by far the best all round player of all time, either foot, heading, whatever, Pele had it all, where players like Garrincha and Maradona where both one footed.

Garrincha had wonky legs though

Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uWZVuZGo8

Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uWZVuZGo8

Nice :razz:

You were allowed to kick people to ribbons in those days as well, and the old caser footballs, like kicking a brick ;)

Kudos.

Wrong/Right, not trying to prove anything, players moving abroad in the 50's/60's/early 70's was an exception is all I'm saying, certainly not like the last 20 years or so.

There's a list of 7 players been produced for the 50's/60's (two of whom moved for political reasons),

I could have added more than 7 with the likes of Jimmy Greaves & Denis Law moving to Italy in 1961.

You are wrong my friend, the North American Soccer League was formed in 1968 and there was a massive infux of players from Europe, Scandanavia, North, Central, & South America. The interest to start a professional league in America was aroused by the 1966 World Cup Final which was broadcast here in the States.

Pele signed for the New York Cosmos in 1975.

George Best signed for the Los Angeles Aztecs in 1976(and he was only 27).

The late 70's early 80's saw a large number of players from Britain and elsewhere giving it a try in the States including some of our own, Peter Beardsley to Canada & Mike Mahoney to the States. I believe there was a Hudson too!

Kudos.

There's a list of 7 players been produced for the 50's/60's (two of whom moved for political reasons),

I could have added more than 7 with the likes of Jimmy Greaves & Denis Law moving to Italy in 1961.

You are wrong my friend, the North American Soccer League was formed in 1968 and there was a massive infux of players from Europe, Scandanavia, North, Central, & South America. The interest to start a professional league in America was aroused by the 1966 World Cup Final which was broadcast here in the States.

Pele signed for the New York Cosmos in 1975.

George Best signed for the Los Angeles Aztecs in 1976(and he was only 27).

The late 70's early 80's saw a large number of players from Britain and elsewhere giving it a try in the States including some of our own, Peter Beardsley to Canada & Mike Mahoney to the States. I believe there was a Hudson too!

Seattle Sounders?