Luque whos here?

nufc1984

GRAEME Souness is keeping his fingers crossed that Albert Luque gets through his medical after the Spanish international agreed a move to Newcastle.

Souness had made no secret of the fact he has been looking to boost his strikeforce, and he is happy that a deal has finally been agreed with Deportivo La Coruna.

"He's having his medical as we speak," said Souness at his pre-match press conference for the Manchester United game.

"You never know how medicals go, but hopefully he will get through it and be able to complete the move.

"He will be a tremendous acquisition for us if he does sign.

"He can play on the left, he has a left foot, and he could do a job out wide for us if we wanted.

"He can also operate as a forward, and he is a great striker of the ball.

"I've said that we need to improve our play in the final third, and if Luque comes in then he will help us do that."

Thank the heavens I was worried for a minute there :lol:

£9.5m is a lot of money though. I understand Renton's point. I remember when AC Milan sold us a promising young Swedish International forward...

As Souness said himself, he'll get into double figures, but he's not a 20 goals a season forward.

19082[/snapback]

Don't forget though that Souness also said Ameobi IS a 20 goals a season forward!

:lol:

Just reading his CV on the BBC. To be fair, he seems like a decent player, but not a world beater. Also, he really isn't a striker, and might suffer if we push him too far up front. We still need another striker desperately.

We've got a few Spanish lads here at work and I just asked one about Luque. He reckons he's an excellent player, works best as a left winger, and he's gutted that Real Madrid didn't get him (he's a Real fan).

I asked him if he was worth 14m Euros and he replied "Yes. He's that good." without hesitation.

Albert luque jetted in to tyneside this morning to complete a medical. :icon_lol:

19014[/snapback]

You seem to be getting very excited about Luque. How much do you really know about him?

I'm not saying he is not a good player, and not trying to put a downer on this, but I can honestly say I had not even heard of him before our interest. But several threads have popped up from NUFC fans saying what a fantastic player he is, and they know this from watching Spanish football. Deportivo? Really?

My concerns are that he is overpriced, he won't fit into the PL, he won't score enough goals (Souness has already said he is not prolific), and that he is joining us for a big pay day (papers have reported he has been enticed by a large "cash sweetener"). But I really don't know, I'll just have to wait and see.

If we're really lucky he might be nearly as good as Robert! :lol:

19069[/snapback]

Looking on the bright side as usual. ;)

19073[/snapback]

I all seriousness, if you think that is negative, it isn't. It's just I'm not going to get excited about a player I know nothing about. Should I?

19076[/snapback]

No I just find it funny that your immediate reaction on news of signing him is not one of joy, but instead that he may be overpriced, he won't fit into the PL, he won't score enough goals, and that he is joining us for a big pay day. :blink:

19095[/snapback]

Fair enough I suppose.

:icon_lol:

19111[/snapback]

Man United fans were happy getting Park Ji Sung who to me is too light weight for the premiership and will be knocked off the ball by the likes of Gerrard, Parker, Lampard etc..

We've got a few Spanish lads here at work and I just asked one about Luque.  He reckons he's an excellent player, works best as a left winger, and he's gutted that Real Madrid didn't get him (he's a Real fan). 

I asked him if he was worth 14m Euros and he replied "Yes.  He's that good." without hesitation.

19132[/snapback]

"I'm sorry, did you say something?......look, I don't speak Spanish!"

burgr.jpg

Man United fans were happy getting Park Ji Sung who to me is too light weight for the premiership and will be knocked off the ball by the likes of Gerrard, Parker, Lampard etc..

19137[/snapback]

Aye, but he's been getting some good write ups and I watched him Vs Villa and he looked a canny player imo.

We've got a few Spanish lads here at work and I just asked one about Luque.  He reckons he's an excellent player, works best as a left winger, and he's gutted that Real Madrid didn't get him (he's a Real fan). 

I asked him if he was worth 14m Euros and he replied "Yes.  He's that good." without hesitation.

19132[/snapback]

"I'm sorry, did you say something?......look, I don't speak Spanish!"

burgr.jpg

19142[/snapback]

Scotch, scotch, scotch....I love scoth !