The newspaper you read - and what it says about you?

Glasgow Mag

Just wonder if anyone can shed any light here.

People often try to make judgements about each other going by what Newspaper you read.

For example:

_41462776_graemelesaux203.jpg

Le Saux - well known reader of The Guardian - people automatically label him an intellectual lib-dem gay.

6_vanTour_White%20Van%2014.9.05%20Whites%20BS%20Duke%20St%20Winner.JPG

These guys drive a white van, which will probably have a copy of the Daily Sport on the dashboard. People automatically label them as neanderthal labour-voting yobs.

Me, I like to choose my daily read based mainly on which paper has the best sports section. I will look at The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Times, The Independent and The Herald (Glasgow local broadsheet). I will also see if there are any appealing articles highlighted on the front page. I don't choose a paper based on my political beliefs - I am a Tory voter and that ain't going to change. I don't buy tabloids because I like to read intelligently written articles and I'm not interested in celebrity gossip. I don't like their sports sections because I don't like to read transfer speculation that has no grounding.

What newspaper do you read, and why?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Guardian is a quality read and it gets the nod from me as a daily mind on Sunday the Times takes some beating-even though it's a tory rag.

As for the white van brigade, I'd have thought they'd be labelled tory as opposed to labour?

I get the Times deliverd on a saturday. Mainly so as not to miss any of their free DVDs, they always have the good ones. Metropolis, Belleville Rendezvous, Donnie Darko, In The Mood For Love, Don't Look Now etc. The other papers have shite like Carry on Abroad or Inspector Morse.

If I had time I'd get it every day, nowt better than lying in bed for an hour or so going through the sections.

I also read The Metro on the metro to work, but it only lasts 7 or 8 stops. Not exactly bursting with quality opinion pieces. It is good for the local what's on guide though, infinitely so when compared to the other local rags.

get the Times on a monday, Independent sporadically and the Guardian for the other days

Generally read it throughout the day on breaks and when I'm waiting for something, dinner to finish cooking or whatever.

Always get The Times on a Monday, mainly for 'The Game', the football pullout which is excellent.

Sunday Times is great, but it takes about a month to read. Usually when i'm back home we just get the local paper rather than a national one.

The only paper I get on a regular basis is the Daily Mail on a Saturday for the tv guide (the best guide for all the channels imo).

I used to get The Daily Telegraph but got so fed up with the propaganda/paid-for articles and poncy-named, public school-educated article writers that I gave up buying it.

btw, Saturday's Dail Mail never gets read - it just lies on the sofa until it gets dumped.

People often try to make judgements about each other going by what Newspaper you read.

For example:

Le Saux - well known reader of The Guardian - people automatically label him an intellectual lib-dem gay.

[

You know Meenzer will be like a gay with a sore bum when he see's that rash generalisation!!!

I get the Star everyday and the NOTW on Sunday's. :calmdown:

For example:

[

You know Meenzer will be like a gay with a sore bum when he see's that rash generalisation!!!

I get the Star everyday and the NOTW on Sunday's. :calmdown:

Would it not just be easier and more rewarding for you to buy a dirty mag instead of thumbing through them hoping to find snippets of filfth?

I get the Times deliverd on a saturday. Mainly so as not to miss any of their free DVDs, they always have the good ones. Metropolis, Belleville Rendezvous, Donnie Darko, In The Mood For Love, Don't Look Now etc. The other papers have shite like Carry on Abroad or Inspector Morse.

If I had time I'd get it every day, nowt better than lying in bed for an hour or so going through the sections.

I also read The Metro on the metro to work, but it only lasts 7 or 8 stops. Not exactly bursting with quality opinion pieces. It is good for the local what's on guide though, infinitely so when compared to the other local rags.

I get the Saturday Times too mainly for the TV guide, which is excellent. The "free" DVD really pisses me off though and invariably get's thrown out with the rubbish where it belongs.

HF, how do you get the time to watch so much TV in general and films in particular?

For example:

[

As a Guardian-reading lib-dem gay (not sure about the intellectual bit), I couldn't possibly comment...

I get the Saturday Times too mainly for the TV guide, which is excellent. The "free" DVD really pisses me off though and invariably get's thrown out with the rubbish where it belongs.

HF, how do you get the time to watch so much TV in general and films in particular?

I hardly watch any tv 2 or 3 hours a week max, and about 2 or 3 films a week.

Is that excessive?

Is there really anything on telly that's essential viewing these days though? I tend to watch stuff I've downloaded, DVDs, or poker stuff. There are no series on telly that I'm desperate to see that I can think of.

Apart from X Factor. :calmdown:

I hardly watch any tv 2 or 3 hours a week max, and about 2 or 3 films a week.

Is that excessive?

I thought you had on opinion on quite a few things like Lost etc. Apologies if I'm wrong like. As for what you describe, no, that's not excessive at all. But the hardest part of dealing with a problem is honestly admitting you have one. :calmdown: