Polygon ends talks with Newcastle

Happy Face

The Polygon-backed St James' Park Group consortium has said it has no current intentions of bidding for the Premiership football club.

In a statement the hedge-fund backed group also said it had ended talks with the north-east England outfit.

It was one of several parties that had been reported as making an approach regarding a possible takeover.

St James' Park Group said it reserved the right to make an offer or possible offer if circumstances changed.

Those circumstances would include any offer for Newcastle United from another party.

The Jersey-based Belgravia Group has also been repeatedly linked with bids for the club.

Before Christmas Newcastle United said talks with Belgravia were ongoing and also revealed that American financiers Polygon had requested access to the company's books.

Majority shareholder at Newcastle United is Sir John Hall who, with his son, owns more than 40% of the club.

The other major shareholder is Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd, who owns a 28% stake in the football club.

Belgravia is a private company with interests including construction, hospitality, aviation and sports marketing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6229885.stm

I wonder if Freddie isn't keeping the purse strings tight until all takeover possibilities are done and dusted.

Edited by Happy Face

"Polygoing......Polygoing.....Polygone!"

That should have been the thread title, HF. And to think people say I can't do word play.

That's shite. Your pun I mean.

With the club operating at a one million pound a month loss, expect no major signings unless we sell. Trouble is, with the size and quality of our squad, selling hardly seems an option.

"Polygoing......Polygoing.....Polygone!"

That should have been the thread title, HF. And to think people say I can't do word play.

And to think, you think you can :lol:

I am actually not too bothered by this. As bad as I think as the club is run at the moment, I do have my reservations concerning American hedge funds and their intentions.

I share your concerns. But for me this is proof we are non-viable as a profitable business. That is also a concern.

I am actually not too bothered by this. As bad as I think as the club is run at the moment, I do have my reservations concerning American hedge funds and their intentions.

I share your concerns. But for me this is proof we are non-viable as a profitable business. That is also a concern.

That is hardly surprising considering the balance sheets in recent years. Any suitor must either be an Abramowichesque billionaire who doesn't really see it as a business or an investor who has long term plans.

Edited by Isegrim

Polly gone - Toon "sick as a parrot" <_<

Much better. :icon_lol:

I prefer Gemmill's, personally.

Jealous of a fellow songwriter I reckon. One with a publishing deal too :lol:

Guest Patrokles

Polly gone - Toon "sick as a parrot" <_<

Much better. :icon_lol:

Jealous of a fellow songwriter I reckon. One with a publishing deal too :lol:

I didn't say EITHER were any good, mind.

Polly gone - Toon "sick as a parrot" :D

Much better. <_<

Jealous of a fellow songwriter I reckon. One with a publishing deal too :icon_lol:

I didn't say EITHER were any good, mind.

:lol: I've just bought 'The Virgin Suicides' btw. I'll let you know what I think.

Guest Patrokles

I've seen the film. Dunst is in it which makes it instantly watchable.

The film is okay, but it's the kind of book that's impossible to translate well to the screen, simply because of its unique narrative perspective. Part of the beauty of the book is just that. The narrative voice is central to its brilliance.