Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

Scousers wankfest over Fowler does my head in man, I wouldn't mind if he was still doing the business but they all blart on about him when when his goal scoring record since 97 has been average barring his few appearances for Leeds.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scousers wankfest over Fowler does my head in man, I wouldn't mind if he was still doing the business but they all blart on about him when when his goal scoring record since 97 has been average barring his few appearances for Leeds.

Bloke I worked with still referred to him as 'God' when he went back last year or whatever. Fuck off :lol:

The less the Americans get involved with 'soccer' the better. I hope the game withers over there. Sorry.

Why???

If they did get seriously involved (which I have my doubts about) I reckon they'd quickly be one of the best sides in the world.

I thought they were already 4th or something daft in the world rankings before the World Cup?

Obviously down to differences in the different regions, but still, hardly shite is it?

They were top 10 iirc, as were Mexico by virtue of their being in CONCACAF presumably and winning almost all of their 'competitive' matches. I meant they'd be genuine World Cup contenders which, in all honesty, they simply aren't at present. They do pretty well already but they aren't in the class of the likes of Brazil, Italy, Argentina, etc. They would be if it usurped one of the top 3 sports over there I reckon.

Given population sizes combined with footballing heritage I think Russia dissapoints most. Probably something to do with all the snow :lol:

I wasn't suggesting I was disappointed with the USA being just alright :icon_lol:

Go Team! :D

It would be yet another former colony screwing us over at a game we invented...

We've still got Snooker.

The less the Americans get involved with 'soccer' the better. I hope the game withers over there. Sorry.

Why???

If they did get seriously involved (which I have my doubts about) I reckon they'd quickly be one of the best sides in the world.

I thought they were already 4th or something daft in the world rankings before the World Cup?

Obviously down to differences in the different regions, but still, hardly shite is it?

They were top 10 iirc, as were Mexico by virtue of their being in CONCACAF presumably and winning almost all of their 'competitive' matches. I meant they'd be genuine World Cup contenders which, in all honesty, they simply aren't at present. They do pretty well already but they aren't in the class of the likes of Brazil, Italy, Argentina, etc. They would be if it usurped one of the top 3 sports over there I reckon.

TBH not even we took that ranking (7th) seriously, though we did appreciate being above Mexico since we pretty much own them. The ranking was swollen not really by CONCACAF games (any CONCACAF game is worth 75% of a UEFA game) but by a series of friendlies agains European opposition where the opponents were using B-squads. We beat Norway B 5-0 with our B squad, but it counts as a full international with MORE rating than a competative CONCACAF game because of the opposition. That coupled with winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup was enough to do it.

I think the rankings are a lot better now, but the best ranking system is one that uses the same method as they use to rank Chess Masters. It's called ELO and it ranks the top 20 thusly:

1. Brazil
  2. France
  3. Italy
  4. Argentina
  5. Netherlands
  6. Germany
  7. England
  8. Portugal
  9. Croatia
  10. Spain
  11. Czech Republic
  12. Denmark
  13. Romania
  14. Uruguay
  15. Switzerland
  16. Sweden
  17. Turkey
  18. Greece
  19. Mexico
  20. USA

http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/6404031.stm

Fowler in talks over US transfer

New England Revolution coach Steve Nicol has held talks with former Liverpool team-mate Robbie Fowler about a move to the United States.

The 31-year-old striker is out of contract at Anfield at the end of the season and his future is uncertain.

Nicol said: "At the moment the first thing is the financial side.

"We've spoken, but as of yet there's nothing been settled. He's really just dipping his foot in the water here. It's something he's thinking about."

Fowler's hopes of extending his Anfield career have been threatened by the arrival of Andriy Voronin from Bayer Leverkusen.

"Because of the type of money David Beckham has got, a lot of people think everybody has that kind of money "

New England Revolution coach Steve Nicol

Nicol, who played with Fowler at Liverpool in the early 90s, said: "He's getting his ducks in a row. Whether he gets a contract at Liverpool or whether he moves on, he's dipping his foot in the water."

The Revolution have been one of the most consistent teams in MLS in recent seasons, reaching the cup final in each of the last two seasons, only to suffer defeats at the hands of the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2005 and the Houston Dynamo last season.

However, with the departure of key man Clint Dempsey to Fulham in January, Nicol knows there is a need to rebuild, and he has some money from that deal to invest in wages.

Nicol - who fended off a $1m offer from Celtic for midfielder Shalrie Joseph this winter - is in a strong position to make an impact signing using the designated player slot.

This was the mechanism which allowed LA Galaxy to sign David Beckham on a contract that could be worth up to $250m in salary and endorsements over five years.

"Through the sale of Clint we have some money available," he said.

"But the problem we have is that, because of the type of money David Beckham has got, a lot of people think everybody has that kind of money which is not the case."

BULLSHIT!

:lol:

Hey, I'll admit I was wrong, but I am shocked that there was nothing on this side of the Atlantic about it. The Soccer community has a lot of insiders who usually would put that information out there.

fowlers got enough money, should really retire as he owns most of the flats in the north of the country?

something like 200 + flats around liverpool and some areas of leeds are owned by him. he rents all these flats out and makes loads of cash.

not been the same player since his mid 20's tbh...

fowlers got enough money, should really retire as he owns most of the flats in the north of the country?

something like 200 + flats around liverpool and some areas of leeds are owned by him. he rents all these flats out and makes loads of cash.

not been the same player since his mid 20's tbh...

His partner in crime McManamanaman has already retired.

Bloke I worked with still referred to him as 'God' when he went back last year or whatever. Fuck off :lol:

I had a big fuck off argument with a Scouser the other week who was claiming the Fowler of the mid 90's was far superior to the Shearer who was at Blackburn and his first year at us. I stuck the claim that I gurantee Fowler didn't outscore him once in that period when he was like nah.... then I proved him wrong and he was like no I meant just in his all round season he was awesome. :D

mcmanaman was a class footballer, european cup winner twice for gods sake.

quite bright as well, considering he's a bindipper.

I wasn't saying anything to the contrary, just pointing out that Fowler's buisness partner has retired from football.

I had a big fuck off argument with a Scouser the other week who was claiming the Fowler of the mid 90's was far superior to the Shearer who was at Blackburn and his first year at us. I stuck the claim that I gurantee Fowler didn't outscore him once in that period when he was like nah.... then I proved him wrong and he was like no I meant just in his all round season he was awesome. :D

I think Fowler was class but he wasn't in the same league tbh.

On further reflection, despite his not beign that good any more, Fowler would probably make a decent move for a club like New England. The name recognition of Liverpool is outstanding here (especially in Boston, although Celtic would be better.) That's really what these types of players are about. BUT he'd have to deliver on the pitch also. MLS is a league where a good finisher can do well, but NE already have an excellent poacher forward in Twellman, so if it were to happen, I'd be interested to see what happens to Taylor.

• 3 months later...

Real to make Beckham offer

A whole new David Beckham saga looks set to ensue after Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon revealed he will try to keep the Los Angeles Galaxy-bound star.

Beckham signed a deal with MLS outfit Galaxy earlier this year after falling out of favour with Real and England.

However, Real boss Fabio Capello recalled him after a slump and Beckham has returned to the side in wonderful style and looks set to inspire them to their first Primera Liga crown in four years.

Beckham has also been recalled by England and he is again being talked of as one of the most influential players in Europe - hence why many feel he is just too good to make the move to America whilst he is aged just 32.

When Beckham agreed his move to LA, he rejected moves to Italy and England - but now a fresh battle to secure his signature could emerge after Calderon revealed the player has a clause in his contract which could see him stay in Madrid.

"We are disposed to make an effort to convince Beckham to continue with the club," Calderon told Marca.

"If the player changes his decision, a clause exists that would allow him to stay.

"We want to fight for him, David has demonstrated that he is a superstar with pride in the white shirt."

Whilst I'd like to see him playing a decent level of football for at least another year I hope he tells Madrid to go fuck themselves after the way they've treated him.

Fair play to him for proving Madrid wrong like, I'm not a fan of all the Beckham mania and everything that surrounds him, but still well done to him for sticking to his guns and showing up that twat of a club Real Madrid.