Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

Always find it difficult to collate a list of the best players, how can you compare Beckham, a right sided midfielder, to Maldini etc?

The best way to look at it is thinking if you had a team and could only have one of the two, who would it be? In this case Maldini I'd say.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always find it difficult to collate a list of the best players, how can you compare Beckham, a right sided midfielder, to Maldini etc?

The best way to look at it is thinking if you had a team and could only have one of the two, who would it be? In this case Maldini I'd say.

Good point.

Guest stevieintoon

......no amount of money can buy your place in football history and on the pitch he doesnt come near Europes all-time top 20.

So so far in this thread Beckham's career is being judged poorly for not having won the World Cup, and now for not being one of Europe's top 20 all time players. Are you lads having a laugh or what?

I tell you what, he's had a better career and made better decisions during his career than Alan Shearer.

In the 20 best players of all time <_<

**uncontrollably spits coffee on cream carpet

He's not even in the 20 best English players of all time. You could even put an argument up that there have been 20 better Newcastle players.

Edited by stevieintoon

canofbeans shitty argument is completely undermined by the fact he calls Man Utd ManYoo.

Cretinous.

By the way, anyone would have thought Shearer got paid peanuts to sign for us they way people go on about him coming home, blah, blah, blah.

People bleat on about Loyalty when I'd wager Shearer's Newcastle contract was far more financially lucrative than the oner Man Utd put to him.

Guest stevieintoon

canofbeans shitty argument is completely undermined by the fact he calls Man Utd ManYoo.

Cretinous.

By the way, anyone would have thought Shearer got paid peanuts to sign for us they way people go on about him coming home, blah, blah, blah.

People bleat on about Loyalty when I'd wager Shearer's Newcastle contract was far more financially lucrative than the oner Man Utd put to him.

More than doubtful. I don't think anyone in their right mind would seriously consider that the richest club in the world, would let the greatest striker of his generation get away because of bleating over a few thousand pounds a week.

At the end of the day Man Utd knew they had to pay £20m to get Shearer, which they were prepared to do, while the price for everybody else was £15m, so when we're talking about even £10,000 a week difference in wages being the stopping point to him joining Manchester United - arguably one of the most ridiculous points of view seen on an internet message board.

......no amount of money can buy your place in football history and on the pitch he doesnt come near Europes all-time top 20.

So so far in this thread Beckham's career is being judged poorly for not having won the World Cup, and now for not being one of Europe's top 20 all time players. Are you lads having a laugh or what?

I tell you what, he's had a better career and made better decisions during his career than Alan Shearer.

He's not even in the 20 best English players of all time. You could even put an argument up that there have been 20 better Newcastle players.

You've not just got the wrong end of the stick, you've got completely the wrong stick. Infact its not a stick, its a piece of metal.

Cretinous.

More than doubtful. I don't think anyone in their right mind would seriously consider that the richest club in the world, would let the greatest striker of his generation get away because of bleating over a few thousand pounds a week.

At the end of the day Man Utd knew they had to pay £20m to get Shearer, which they were prepared to do, while the price for everybody else was £15m, so when we're talking about even £10,000 a week difference in wages being the stopping point to him joining Manchester United - arguably one of the most ridiculous points of view seen on an internet message board.

Have you seen the over-the-top wages we pay nowadays? Obviously a precedent was set somewhere.

Man Utd knew Shearer's worth and weren't going to be completely fleeced. In the end they weren't willing to match the salary Newcastle were offering. They pulled out and bought Solskjaer for £1.5m instead which was far better value for money. Man Utd went on to win countless more trophies, Shearer won fuck all, Fergie was proved right

Engage brain before speaking tbh

Guest stevieintoon

Cretinous.

Have you seen the over-the-top wages we pay nowadays? Obviously a precedent was set somewhere.

Man Utd knew Shearer's worth and weren't going to be completely fleeced. In the end they weren't willing to match the salary Newcastle were offering. They pulled out and bought Solskjaer for £1.5m instead which was far better value for money. Man Utd went on to win countless more trophies, Shearer won fuck all, Fergie was proved right

Engage brain before speaking tbh

Man Utd would've moved heaven and earth to sign him, that's a fact. You're right regarding the club being fleeced consistently, but in my opinion Man Utd would've matched anything we'd offer. 30 Premiership goals 3 seasons running?!?! They'd have paid anything, fee and wages.

Guest stevieintoon

You've not just got the wrong end of the stick, you've got completely the wrong stick. Infact its not a stick, its a piece of metal.

You're right, that'll learn me for not reading the thread properly. Apologies Gemmill.

Man Utd would've moved heaven and earth to sign him, that's a fact. You're right regarding the club being fleeced consistently, but in my opinion Man Utd would've matched anything we'd offer. 30 Premiership goals 3 seasons running?!?! They'd have paid anything, fee and wages.

Why would they have paid anything? They don't idolise centre-forwards like we do. They're just another cog in the machine to them which shows in that they have never had many 30-goal-a-season forwards. They've always been well supported from midfield in the way of goals.

SJH seen he was available, seen he was a geordie, seen he was a centre-forward and offered him megabucks to come here. Seriously, you're saying they'd have paid anything? I think we're the ones that would have done that as he was a dream come true for SJH's Geordie Nation mantra.

Guest stevieintoon

Why would they have paid anything? They don't idolise centre-forwards like we do. They're just another cog in the machine to them which shows in that they have never had many 30-goal-a-season forwards. They've always been well supported from midfield in the way of goals.

SJH seen he was available, seen he was a geordie, seen he was a centre-forward and offered him megabucks to come here. Seriously, you're saying they'd have paid anything? I think we're the ones that would have done that as he was a dream come true for SJH's Geordie Nation mantra.

They'd have given him anything. Ferguson should go down in history as the finest British manager of all time, but to a lot of people he's behind others like Shankly. Personally I think he's proven beyond doubt he's the greatest. However could there even have been a shadow of a doubt if Man Utd had've won the title in 94/95 and 97/98. 94/95 Shearer won it for them, if they had any other forward in the world in his place they wouldn't have won it, that's no disrespect to Sutton, Batty, Sherwood, Hendry, Flowers etc.. but it is a fact, and Blackburn only won it by one point. 97/98 they were 13 points ahead of Arsenal in December, Fred Done's bookies actually paid out on Man Utd winning it 5 months early, and again they only lost it by one point. Do you honestly think Man Utd with Alan Shearer wouldn't have won them the league that season?? Man Utd would've won 9 titles in a row but for these two cock-ups, and Fergie would probably have went down as the greatest manager ever full stop.

Man Utd bought SOLSKJAER yes, great player but he wasn't Shearer, Man Utd would've equalled any wages we offered him, you're entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned the argument is a non starter.

because Keegan fucked off the bastard!!

<_<

We were 6th when Keegan fucked off even with MIGHTY SHEARER. Dalglish brought us back up to 2nd. No point blaming the manager change, if anything it done us initial good.

You closet Manc you. <_<

It's a fact though. Everyone that's saying he's taken the easy option now and thrown away the last few years of his career etc. etc. Well we don't like to admit it, but Shearer threw away the last 10 years of his if we're talking sensible career moves.

I don't know how you can say that tbh.

Shearer could have won more trophies somewhere else (like Man U) he probably could have scored more career goals there too.

But he could NEVER have played for Newcastle United anywhere BUT at Newcastle United....

So it's depends on what you want from your career.

Frankly even Beckham's move to RM was as much a "brand" exercise as anything else (both on the part of Beckham and RM).

Beckham's not going to LA for loyalty, or to "help kids" or anything like that...... he's going so he can crack the american market for "Brand Beckham", which has very little to do with his football really (although frankly the yanks being the yanks they won't have a clue if he's past it or not I'm sure, to busy shouting “USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! Etc.” :razz:).

It was a purely business decision to sacrifice the rest of his footballing career to make money and probably give Dosh the chance to fail miserably in Hollywood. :razz:

Shearer didn’t sacrifice his football for money and market share, he may have sacrificed his potential trophies to play for the club he loved, but they are very different things.

Shearer could so easily have went to Man U and came here when he was approaching the end of his career.

He fucked up.

Again that depends on whether he wanted to play for Newcastle or win trophies, and at the time he probably thought he could do both....

However neither option is really what Beckham's doing, he's just going to sell more t-shirts frankly.

Shearer could so easily have went to Man U and came here when he was approaching the end of his career.

He fucked up.

Again that depends on whether he wanted to play for Newcastle or win trophies, and at the time he probably thought he could do both....

However neither option is really what Beckham's doing, he's just going to sell more t-shirts frankly.

I can't believe the rose tinted views of Shearer's decision-making process compared to that of Beckham. <_< I tell you what, if LA Galaxy had come in with a half a million pound a week offer to Shearer when he was 32, he would have been off like a fucking shot. :razz:

Yeah, I completely forgot. Beckham's won fuck all already, hasn't he?

Which still has nothing to do with Shearer.

As for Beckham maybe after missing out on a World Cup maybe he's going so he can win the "World Soccer Series"!! <_<

(but of course if he'd really wanted a crack at another World Cup, or at least a European one he'd have done what Figo did.)

He fucked up.

I can't believe the rose tinted views of Shearer's decision-making process compared to that of Beckham. <_< I tell you what, if LA Galaxy had come in with a half a million pound a week offer to Shearer when he was 32, he would have been off like a fucking shot. :razz:

Didn't he get some sort of offer from Qatar?

have a crack at another world cup? England won't be winning anything for a generation FFS

he's off doing something unique, forward looking and getting paid a shitload for it. what's everyone's problem with that?

better than spouting boring shite on MOTD

he said himself he could of made this move at 35 and he would still have been slagged as a mercenary

He fucked up.

Maybe.... or equally maybe not (it’s all just guff in the wind)…. but Beckham left his boyhood club for green pastures. Shearer had the choice and came to his.

Would Shearer have rather sold t-shirts or played football?

I'd expect the later as otherwise how do you explain him not signing for some US/Gulf/Far Eastern team for a year or two as a nice little earner?

He could be leisurely trotting around the pitch now for buckets of cash if he wanted to I'm sure.