Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

have a crack at another world cup? England won't be winning anything for a generation FFS

he's off doing something unique, forward looking and getting paid a shitload for it. what's everyone's problem with that?

better than spouting boring shite on MOTD

he said himself he could of made this move at 35 and he would still have been slagged as a mercenary

Heh I'm not saying England will win anything, but still if that was his burning desire (and he said playing for England was not so long ago) that would be the route he had to take.

Although knowing Beckham maybe he heard about the "World Series" and got a little confused. <_<

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have a crack at another world cup? England won't be winning anything for a generation FFS

he's off doing something unique, forward looking and getting paid a shitload for it. what's everyone's problem with that?

he said himself he could of made this move at 35 and he would still have been slagged as a mercenary

Heh I'm not saying England will win anything, but still if that was his burning desire (and he said playing for England was not so long ago) that would be the route he had to take.

Although knowing Beckham maybe he heard about the "World Series" and got a little confused. <_<

are you saying he can't be called up for England duty from America?

Shearer could so easily have went to Man U and came here when he was approaching the end of his career.

He fucked up.

Again that depends on whether he wanted to play for Newcastle or win trophies, and at the time he probably thought he could do both....

However neither option is really what Beckham's doing, he's just going to sell more t-shirts frankly.

I can't believe the rose tinted views of Shearer's decision-making process compared to that of Beckham. <_< I tell you what, if LA Galaxy had come in with a half a million pound a week offer to Shearer when he was 32, he would have been off like a fucking shot. :razz:

Maybe.... or equally maybe not (it’s all just guff in the wind)…. but Beckham left his boyhood club for green pastures. Shearer had the choice and came to his.

Would Shearer have rather sold t-shirts or played football?

I'd expect the later as otherwise how do you explain him not signing for some US/Gulf/Far Eastern team for a year or two as a nice little earner?

He could be leisurely trotting around the pitch now for buckets of cash if he wanted to I'm sure.

or he could have kept his family in the same place, earnt the same money on the SJP pitch and then gone into lucrative broadcasting contracts....

He'd have more chance getting an England recall if playing for a UK non-league side to be frank, and he'd probably be facing more teams of greater quality if he was.

A while back we were naming our all time Premiership XI and iirc most people named Beckham in their team which I initially disagreed with but after a bit of thought it was hard to come up with an alternative so certainly in comparison with his rivals I think he's being underrated by a few people on here.

Shearer could so easily have went to Man U and came here when he was approaching the end of his career.

He fucked up.

Again that depends on whether he wanted to play for Newcastle or win trophies, and at the time he probably thought he could do both....

However neither option is really what Beckham's doing, he's just going to sell more t-shirts frankly.

I can't believe the rose tinted views of Shearer's decision-making process compared to that of Beckham. <_< I tell you what, if LA Galaxy had come in with a half a million pound a week offer to Shearer when he was 32, he would have been off like a fucking shot. :razz:

Maybe.... or equally maybe not (it’s all just guff in the wind)…. but Beckham left his boyhood club for green pastures. Shearer had the choice and came to his.

I'd expect the later as otherwise how do you explain him not signing for some US/Gulf/Far Eastern team for a year or two as a nice little earner?

He could be leisurely trotting around the pitch now for buckets of cash if he wanted to I'm sure.

or he could have kept his family in the same place, earnt the same money on the SJP pitch and then gone into lucrative broadcasting contracts....

Which he still could have done after a year or two trotting around the pitch getting paid even more than at NUFC..... but this has nothing to do with Beckham. :razz:

He'd have more chance getting an England recall if playing for a UK non-league side to be frank, and he'd probably be facing more teams of greater quality if he was.

rubbish, now you rate non-league football better than a pro-league? You got any idea where the US are in the World Rankings btw?

He fucked up.

Which he still could have done after a year or two trotting around the pitch getting paid even more than at NUFC..... but this has nothing to do with Beckham. :razz:

so you would move your family half way round the world to trot round a pitch, when you know you're a guaranteed starter on just as good money over here?

rubbish, now you rate non-league football better than a pro-league? You got any idea where the US are in the World Rankings btw?

If you don't understand why and how the American team “world ranking” is artificially much higher than it should be.... well then it becomes clear why you don't understand a LOT tbh. :razz:

Also very few of the USA team players actually play in their domestic league, even now with the money pumped into it in the last 4-6 years.

It’s a very weak league dominated by a few teams with a lot of investment that are still pretty damn rubbish.

Don’t get me wrong IF US football becomes as big business as their other sports then it could end up as a very strong league, at the moment it is not.

He fucked up.

so you would move your family half way round the world to trot round a pitch, when you know you're a guaranteed starter on just as good money over here?

If he was just after money (as you suggest) why not?

And why not now when he still could be earning more than in the media?

I don't see Shearer setting up any soccer academies for kids or developing the game in a foreign country

If you don't realise that is again a completely "brand" decision again I don't know what to say.

It's about making money that's all.

I don't see Shearer setting up any soccer academies for kids or developing the game in a foreign country

If you don't realise that is again a completely "brand" decision again I don't know what to say.

bollocks, there are a lot easier ways to make money, is Shearer doing something better by warming a chair on MOTD? I think not. Just admit it, there's nowt he could do that would ever make you see him in any other light

He fucked up.

are you asking me why he would prefer not to move half way round the world and not carry on playing when he can stay right here and do jack shit by being in the telly?

why is he retired anyway if Teddy Sheringham's still scoring? Surely Blyth would have taken him on for a year?

Ever thought that Beckham just wants to take advantage of a fantastic opportunity fopr both him and his family? Maybe he's had enough of getting kicked around and wants to do other things. Let's face it, in the top 50 or not, he's had one hell of a career that most players would give their right arms for. And he knows it's winding down at the top level.

So he wants to move on. Not that difficult to understand really.....except by people like us who have achieved nothing in comparison and would want to milk the playing career for all it's worth. He may not have won everything but he's been there or thereabouts.

Good luck to one hell of a player that gave 100% to club and country despite all the shit he took.

bollocks, there are a lot easier ways to make money, is Shearer doing something better by warming a chair on MOTD? I think not. Just admit it, there's nowt he could do that would ever make you see him in any other light

Making more money than brand "Beckham" cracking one of the RICHEST sports markets in the world?

The money to be made from kids football boots alone is astounding in the USA.

Do you understand how much US Basketball/Baseball/American Football etc. stars get paid for their sponsorship stuff? It is insane.

As I said you clearly don't understand the realities or the sums of money involved here.

He fucked up.

are you asking me why he would prefer not to move half way round the world and not carry on playing when he can stay right here and do jack shit by being in the telly?

why is he retired anyway if Teddy Sheringham's still scoring? Surely Blyth would have taken him on for a year?

He'd earn more money for a year or two, then could do what he's doing now anyway, if money was the only thing he ever cared about, then why not exactly?

I also notice you've shut up about "Team USA" being a top world team and the Major League being anything but mickey mouse too. :razz:

He fucked up.

I can't believe the rose tinted views of Shearer's decision-making process compared to that of Beckham. ;) I tell you what, if LA Galaxy had come in with a half a million pound a week offer to Shearer when he was 32, he would have been off like a fucking shot. :puke:

Which he still could have done after a year or two trotting around the pitch getting paid even more than at NUFC..... but this has nothing to do with Beckham. :o

He'd earn more money for a year or two, then could do what he's doing now anyway, if money was the only thing he ever cared about, then why not exactly?

I also notice you've shut up about "Team USA" being a top world team and the Major League being anything but mickey mouse too. :o

are you really not sure why he wouldnt want to move half way round the world?

and FIFA rankings are weighted for standard of competion btw

of course some might consider a league 'mickey mouse' if there are no international stars in it. How do you square that with pillorying Beckham for going over there? Who's making it mickey mouse?

Making more money than brand "Beckham" cracking one of the RICHEST sports markets in the world?

The money to be made from kids football boots alone is astounding in the USA.

Do you understand how much US Basketball/Baseball/American Football etc. stars get paid for their sponsorship stuff? It is insane.

As I said you clearly don't understand the realities or the sums of money involved here.

explain to me how Beckham gets money from kids buying football boots FFS? Is endorsing Big Mac's a more worthy cause?

I've already said he's going to make money out of this, and where's the harm in that?

You tell me the difference between Lord Shearer being paid by the BBC and Beckham playing in a league and running a soccer school? Which one's purely in it for the money and which is making money and promoting football at the same time?

They changed how they calculated the rankings after the last World Cup a bit (before it was even worse), but it still massively over inflates the standings of teams like the USA.

of course some might consider a league 'mickey mouse' if there are no international stars in it. How do you square that with pillorying Beckham for going over there? Who's making it mickey mouse?

I see and what would you say if Beckham had gone to our Championship? (which is probably a significantly stronger league)

I don't know what your problem is really he's gone to a rubbish league, turning his back on a potential indian summer in football for money... that's all. You either think that is a good thing (like you) or a bad thing (like me).

Or you're just Trolling (most likely tbh).

explain to me how Beckham gets money from kids buying football boots FFS? Is endorsing Big Mac's a more worthy cause?

Sorry I didn’t realise I was talking to a complete idiot (although I probably should have guessed).

I've already said he's going to make money out of this, and where's the harm in that?

No “harm”, but no respect either.

You tell me the difference between Lord Shearer being paid by the BBC and Beckham playing in a league and running a soccer school? Which one's purely in it for the money and which is making money and promoting football at the same time?

Shearer did what he did and now does media, fair enough. He didn’t do the rubbish but rich club pay off thing, that’s up to him (many would have taken him this season and next most likely).

Beckham easily had the chance to go and play real football with good teams (at least for 2 years), to win stuff perhaps and maybe even get back into the England team, perhaps.

He chose to go a rubbish league purely for the money, that’s up to him, but as I said it gets him zero respect.

As I said I don’t really see your point (although not understand how basic commerce works maybe you don’t actually have one).

They changed how they calculated the rankings after the last World Cup a bit (before it was even worse), but it still massively over inflates the standings of teams like the USA.

I see and what would you say if Beckham had gone to our Championship? (which is probably a significantly stronger league)

I don't know what your problem is really he's gone to a rubbish league, turning his back on a potential indian summer in football for money... that's all. You either think that is a good thing (like you) or a bad thing (like me).

Or you're just Trolling (most likely tbh).

Sorry I didn’t realise I was talking to a complete idiot (although I probably should have guessed).

No “harm”, but no respect either.

Shearer did what he did and now does media, fair enough. He didn’t do the rubbish but rich club pay off thing, that’s up to him (many would have taken him this season and next most likely).

Beckham easily had the chance to go and play real football with good teams (at least for 2 years), to win stuff perhaps and maybe even get back into the England team, perhaps.

He chose to go a rubbish league purely for the money, that’s up to him, but as I said it gets him zero respect.

As I said I don’t really see your point (although not understand how basic commerce works maybe you don’t actually have one).

my point is I don't see why he's being slagged for going to the USA? How is that any less worthy than going where? he was obviously not going to make it at RM, he's not going to win anything a major in a European team, and he is never going to win anything with England (and he can still be called up from the US FFS)

And somehow, he is morally somehow less than the mighty Shearer, for why exactly? It's utter bullshit spouted by people who let the News of the World do their thinking for them

He's got years left in him, why not go to America and raise the profile of the game?

Have you even listened to what he has said about the move or are you just forming opinions on what you think his motivations are. You telling me what his motivation is is as ridiculous as you telling me you know what I think

And yes, detail me in exact terms how kids buying boots would mak someone move to the US instead of stay in Europe. I know he is paid by Addidas, but he's not exaclty going to only let kids wearing Adidas into the school is he? And i'm pretty sure his contract isn't as sohphisticated so as to be linked to the exact number of boots sold. Or is your reasoning behind this simplistic aswell?

explain to me how Beckham gets money from kids buying football boots FFS?

;)

because he gets paid by adidas

what, on a commision basis FFS?

well if adidas go bankrupt then he won't get paid at all, if they become the biggest company in the world they will be able to pay him more.

so to answer your question - yes