This new road pricing malarkey

Gemmill

Sounds like a ridiculous idea tbh - road tax is expensive enough without them coming up with better ways to pull your eyes out. :razz:

Anyway, there's a petition here if anyone's interested in signing it.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

It'll probably make no difference. And I'm not really interested in getting into an environmental debate with anyone, so a pre-emptive fuck off there. :razz: All I want is to not have to pay any more over in tax than I already am. B)

Should be one or the other. I wouldn't mind a pay as you go type system if you didn't have to cough up £100 a year or whatever on road tax.

Drove past the M6 the other day, that was like £4 for a car which doesn't sound much, but if you have to go on that road everyday for work it would certainly add up.

If they do want to tax drivers who damage the environment they should put more on petrol etc. That way they wouldn't have to set-up all this at a huge cost. I suppose they're scared to do that though after the fuel protests plus the fact that it's already taxed to the hilt. Not saying I think it should be taxed more, just that that is a far more logical and cheaper way to do it. Why do something the cheaper, more logical and more efficient way though eh?

fuel is between 78-82% tax already people.

what beggars beleif is we are spending the taxpayers money on a fucking pointless war, when we have yet to clean up our roads/ education / nhs etc etc...

Edited by canofbeans

Well that's it, if I had any kind of confidence that the money earned would be used for something like creating an efficient and more affordable public transport system then I'd probably be more or less in favour, but since that never is the case...

They should tax cars with big stupid engines tbh. I don't see the need for anyone to have a car with a 2 litre + engine in this country.

That way you only tax the people who can afford it.

Charging to use particular roads is ridiculous imo. What happens if the only way for you to get to work is on one of these charge roads.

All of a sudden your £20 a week down. That's a lot of money for a lot of people.

Well that's it, if I had any kind of confidence that the money earned would be used for something like creating an efficient and more affordable public transport system then I'd probably be more or less in favour, but since that never is the case...

If we had proper bike lanes in this country like they do in Holland, separated from the road, where you could actually ride around with a reasonable chance of surviving, I think I would actually use my bike a bit. Not for anything daft like. But this extra tax will make no difference whatsoever to public transport or to things like bike lane facilities, and all they'll be doing is pricing people out of using their cars. Pisstake.

If we had proper bike lanes in this country like they do in Holland, separated from the road, where you could actually ride around with a reasonable chance of surviving, I think I would actually use my bike a bit. Not for anything daft like. But this extra tax will make no difference whatsoever to public transport or to things like bike lane facilities, and all they'll be doing is pricing people out of using their cars. Pisstake.

Dunno if its the same in other areas, but round here we have bike lanes on the main roads, but then half way down the lane just disappears and they expect you to go back on the main road again. :razz: Idiots.

Dunno if its the same in other areas, but round here we have bike lanes on the main roads, but then half way down the lane just disappears and they expect you to go back on the main road again. :razz: Idiots.

Plus I bet when they installed the bike lanes they didn't widen the road. They just nicked 2.5 feet or so off either side of the road and drew a bike on it. Brilliant.

In Holland they have a bit of pavement next to the road, THEN comes the bike lane. And they're wide too. Their bikes are shit mind. Like the one Butch Cassidy rides.

They should tax cars with big stupid engines tbh. I don't see the need for anyone to have a car with a 2 litre + engine in this country.

2.5TDi here, so you can fuck off with that idea. :razz:

You can obviously afford it then boy racer :razz:

Boy racer? Granddad-mobile more like. B)

its the usual problem - when a few people (the rich for example) want to do summat its easy - but when EVRYONE does it it becomes impossible

Holidays in Spain

decent Universities

commuting to work

driving around

etc etc etc

When 20 million peopel want to drive it is just impossible - so they have to remove people frotmn eh roads somehow - and pricing makes them some cash whereas restricting people to odd or even days on the road wouldn't raise a $

Scott, man! you want owt for nowt, you drive a powerful car but don't want to be charged for the privilege. Get a smaller engine or ( blue sky idea) don't fucking have a car.

this isn't an environment thing it's a social thing. You want the benefits but don't want to pay for them.

I reckon the best way to cut the number of road users is to pedestrianise the city centres, drastically improve public transport and invest in alternative fuel technology so that we're not shackled by Oil dependancy.

Scott, man! you want owt for nowt, you drive a powerful car but don't want to be charged for the privilege. Get a smaller engine or ( blue sky idea) don't fucking have a car.

this isn't an environment thing it's a social thing. You want the benefits but don't want to pay for them.

I reckon the best way to cut the number of road users is to pedestrianise the city centres, drastically improve public transport and invest in alternative fuel technology so that we're not shackled by Oil dependancy.

Fuck off man, you silly student. I don't mind paying road tax as is, but I don't want to be given a box that sits in my car, measures how many miles I go, and charges me for each of them. Do you want that like? I don't want owt for nowt at all, but the tax in this country is out of hand and getting worse all the time. The car driver is taxed plenty as is on fuel consumption and with the road tax system. But they want more.

Your utopian suggestions of a marvellous public transport system are fabulous, but we live in the real world with a shit public transport system. Wake up policymaker boy. ;)

Honestly, they should tax the crap out cigarettes.

My utopian suggestions are as close to reality as your demands for less taxation for you big fat motor

I run a fleet of vehicles from Croydon just south of London, our head office is in central london and we have vehicles from regional offices delivering into central london

My company donates between £2500 and £4000 in congestion charge payments every working day for the privelige of delivering parcels into central london, over 3/4 of a million last year, this year will be over 7 figures.

Road pricing would kill us, and we are one of the most succesful and efficient delivery companies about.

Would you seriously cycle to work every day though?

I'm all in favour of motorists, holidaymakers and those who contribute to damaging the planet being taxed more heavily... so long as that tax is reinvested in environmentally sound schemes (such as re-regulated or nationalised public transport). I say this as a car driver, but I don't think I have a God given right to own a car and fly to far flung parts of the globe.

We're already paying plenty in tax tbh. The problem is that it's being pissed away in Iraq and on ill-conceived hair-brained schemes dreamt up by morons. I don't think I have a God-given right to anything either but the car driver is already having his pants pulled down by taxes.

Should be one or the other. I wouldn't mind a pay as you go type system if you didn't have to cough up £100 a year or whatever on road tax.

Drove past the M6 the other day, that was like £4 for a car which doesn't sound much, but if you have to go on that road everyday for work it would certainly add up.

Aye you will mind when it's £250+ to travel from say Newcastle to Dover by car (just 1 way) – which is what the prices they are touting will be.

And do you really think that will stop the likes of Blair jetting off to Bermuda?

Nope, but it might stop the low incoming family from even being able to drive to Whitby for a day trip (the chance of them being able to afford a cheapy week in Spain by this time being 0% once the tax ministers really get their "green" teeth into air mileage too).

Of course ironically none of this will actually fix congestion (as our public transport will still be a hideously expensive, slow, unreliable, debacle that doesn't get you remotely near from were you are to where you want to be.... not to mention the still increasing population of the UK) or global warming (as they say, who's going to stop a billion Chinese having their fridges? Never mind the huge industrial growth in China and India over the next 25 years).

I do always like it when some huge government or council minister (who clearly has never even looked at a bike in their life) says that is what everyone should be using (except them, of course, clearly like Prescot they still would require their Jag ;) ).

But anyone that's ever been clipped by a passing bus or lorry wing mirror know that riding in a town or city is lethal (it's bad enough on a motorbike when you've got the same or better speed and aceleration, never mind on a push bike).

As pointed out, what benefit does this have over fuel duty?

Oh, hang on. Such a system would require huge technological developments. Big, big contracts for IT and management consultants (see iSoft, Accenture etc). Now what is one of the most popular destinations for ageing politicians and their mates? Ah, consulting!

I'm massively in favour of keeping taxes as simple as possible, otherwise they are self-defeating. This is a stupid idea that will never get off the ground. Once these 'transponders' are released, they'll be chipped within a week. You cant forge petrol.

Would you seriously cycle to work every day though?

I'm all in favour of motorists, holidaymakers and those who contribute to damaging the planet being taxed more heavily... so long as that tax is reinvested in environmentally sound schemes (such as re-regulated or nationalised public transport). I say this as a car driver, but I don't think I have a God given right to own a car and fly to far flung parts of the globe.

Spot on. Motorists who whinge about being an oppressed group do my head in. And I'd drive my car upstairs if I could.