Cooking

Gemmill

35 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

great effort. good-looking crust. maybe could have risen a bit more - how was the crumb?

what have you got in your starter?

I bought the starter (Hobbs House Bakery) and it's getting fed with wholemeal spelt flour cos I couldn't get rye. I stuck a bunch of rolled up towels soaked in boiling water in the bottom of the oven which might have helped with the crust - apparently steam is the key according to YouTube! 

And aye I thought the same about the rise although when I compare it with the one the bloke does on the Hobbs House video, it looks to have risen about as well as his (although his looks way more regular shaped!). I need a stone though which I'll get eventually. I let the second prove go on too long (went out for a walk) so it was a bit flat on the baking tray unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Is that what you mean by the crumb btw @Dr Gloom

20200421_152519_compress59.jpg

phwoar. good air in that. did you use any yeast at all or pure starter? i've been too nervous not to add a little sprinkle of yeast into my sourdoughs so far

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

As a half-turnip, this must make you momentarily less miserable? :lol:

I mean, I've already got my gran's recipe but it's in Swedish and the measurements are all in decilitres and spicemeasureworths (about a fifth of a teaspoon, for the record) so I'm happy for a more conventional version to test it against, at least. :D

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

phwoar. good air in that. did you use any yeast at all or pure starter? i've been too nervous not to add a little sprinkle of yeast into my sourdoughs so far

No yeast, just the starter. 

300g of starter

500g flour

250g hot water

Big pinch of salt. 

That's all that's in it. 

Last minute decision to have a wee BBQ, totally uninfluenced by mild day-drinking. 😂

I’ve been having a bit of a duck eggs love-in lately, farm shop near me is selling them and they’re fucking amazing. 

So, the salad is getting a couple of soft-boiled ones hoyed on last minute as a lovely eggy dressing. 

latest?cb=20191119215515

• Haha 4

On 21/04/2020 at 17:30, Gemmill said:

No yeast, just the starter. 

300g of starter

500g flour

250g hot water

Big pinch of salt. 

That's all that's in it. 

Trying this recipe today. Been baking up a storm but going to mix it up. 

• Jaysus... 1

I'm bored enough on lockdown that I've brought back the conceit where I use a random number generator to choose a cookbook then a recipe from it, which I have to make. (Only once a week, I'm not a maniac.)

Three weeks in and it had been going pretty well so far, but then...

P1060697.JPG

Yay, a ton of spinach leaves with an occasional mushroom slice!

<_<

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

picking up a sourdough shaper later so will be posting pics of some proper sexy-looking bread tomorrow afternoon. 

My proving basket arrived today but it was too late to make today's loaf. Got a little bit burnt cos of my cunt of a fan oven. 

20200428_120913_compress81.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I'm bored enough on lockdown that I've brought back the conceit where I use a random number generator to choose a cookbook then a recipe from it, which I have to make. (Only once a week, I'm not a maniac.)

Three weeks in and it had been going pretty well so far, but then...

P1060697.JPG

Yay, a ton of spinach leaves with an occasional mushroom slice!

<_<

would have made a nice side for my tea :lol:

72872D41-CA72-430B-9FBC-5F9D3A92FE2B.jpeg