Global Warming

wykikitoon

Are there any good books regrding this that I could read. Not too scientific either :razz:

Its something I have been interested in recently and I would like to know more.

I stumbled accross Tree Huggers whilst having a scan on the net :razz:

Just wait for N-O to come back properly then ask on GC over there. The majority there believe that they know everything about all major world/political events.

Aye, right! Right now the idea of N-O returning is about as big a myth as global warming, i.e. it may very well happen sometime in the future, but nobody knows quite when or how...

:lol:

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any good books regrding this that I could read. Not too scientific either :lol:

Its something I have been interested in recently and I would like to know more.

I stumbled accross Tree Huggers whilst having a scan on the net :razz:

aye it's not as if there's anything scientific in it tbh

If you are looking for the "traditional" apres ski type stuff there's some of that as well, especially if you go over to Val D'Isere, which is full of Brits - if you like that kind of thing. :lol:

If by 'traditonal' you mean twats getting pissed by 9pm and acting the cock then no but as long as its better than Saalbach was last year, full of fucking foreigners it was! :razz:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. :razz:

Have to say it's something that does concern me, but my own feeling is the damage has been done and is irrepairable

The daft thing is, the Greens etc. are written off as cranks when they're the sane ones. Meanwhile mainstream politicians etc., by burying their heads in the sand and pretending it will go away (which is about as childish as you can be about a problem) are the idiots.

Can't say I necessarily agree that Greens are the sane ones though, and they certainly have their own myopic agendas. They may be right about some aspects of global warming, but they are wrong on countless other issues. And they have no viable solutions. Their continued opposition to the nuclear industry makes them completely untenable imo. Some of the more intelligent members of Greenpeace have left because of this very issue in fact.

Whilst I take your point, in general though, their long-held belief that we're fucking up the planet, while most other people thought that was scaremongering for years, seems to have been proven to be correct.

the evidence from ice cores is that we are at the absolute top of an InterGlacial warming period - this may, or may not, be totally natural

Th ebig question is if this wil continue to warm - inwhich case we are into warmer temperatures than we've seen in ten million years - or will it fall back

What is seriously worrying is the CO2 numbers which are zooming off scale in a geological sense - and are clearly related to industrial activity as they start to rise aboe "historic" rates of change around 1600

The dinosaurs never did much driving and where are they now? You never hear from them.

Make hay while the sun shines I say.

In all seriousness that is a completely selfish attitude, one shared by millions of evangelicals rubbing their hands together at the prospect or Armageddon. Do you not believe we have a duty to protect the planet for future generations?

The dinosaurs never did much driving and where are they now? You never hear from them.

In all seriousness that is a completely selfish attitude, one shared by millions of evangelicals rubbing their hands together at the prospect or Armageddon. Do you not believe we have a duty to protect the planet for future generations?

Yeah, I do tbh. I'll Edit my post for clarity.

will it make much difference?

if africa becomes a desert then Siberia will become temperate after all

tough on the Aussies mind - it'll all look like Saudi

Btw, graphs like this are enough evidence for me the phenomenom is real, as well as plenty of anecdotal evidence. As for being man made or not, if you laid a graph showing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere over this one, the correlation is very close.

Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

will it make much difference?

if africa becomes a desert then Siberia will become temperate after all

tough on the Aussies mind - it'll all look like Saudi

That's alright then. :lol:

Btw, graphs like this are enough evidence for me the phenomenom is real, as well as plenty of anecdotal evidence. As for being man made or not, if you laid a graph showing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere over this one, the correlation is very close.

Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

geoscientist published a graph last year showing much longer periods - I'll send a geologist to find it.............

Temperature records before this graph are likely to be pretty innacurate.

It can all be worked out from the composition of the ice going back donkeys.

Is that done by measuring the size of tree rings or something?

Anyway, the sudden increase in global temperature, which is noticeable even in my lifetime let alone Rob's, is fairly unprecedented. Surely it's better to err on the side of caution and try and do something about it rather than waste our remaining fossil fuel resources and hope everything is OK. Personally, I'd advocate the mass building of the next generation of nuclear power stations.

see the article posted above

they measure the air bubbles trapped in the ice

"Vostok time series and sea level derived by calibrating the marine Oxygen 18 molecules. The deuterium content of the ice is taken as a proxy for Antarctic temperature. The atmospheric content of CO 2 and CH4 were measured on the air enclosed in the ice ."

simple when you know how................

see the article posted above

they measure the air bubbles trapped in the ice

"Vostok time series and sea level derived by calibrating the marine Oxygen 18 molecules. The deuterium content of the ice is taken as a proxy for Antarctic temperature. The atmospheric content of CO 2 and CH4 were measured on the air enclosed in the ice ."

simple when you know how................

They are proxy measurements, just like measuring the growth ring size of trees though. I'm sure direct measurement is more accurate. I have no experience of climatology, but in medicine measuring clinical outcomes is far superior to measuring surrogate outcomes, I would have thought the same principles applied.

Rob, did you ever see that Horizon where they had a scientist actually claiming we were in deeper shit than even the prevailiing CC scientists thought, whereby the heating of the planet should be much higher but is actually prevented by heavy pollutants suspended in cloud cover and contrail (suspended in water droplets) - he confirmed this in the days after 9/11 when contrails were removed from the equation. Anyway, the upshot of it was, if we remove the pollutants without repairing the ozone layer (which no-one has a clue how to do) we will actually heat up worse than if we stay as is

but then again that science goes over the heads of most of the greens