Milner wants more competition

Scottish Mag

James Milner has insisted he will relish the competition for places if Glenn Roeder strengthens the Newcastle squad this month.

Milner has been one of the few Newcastle players to avoid a lengthy injury lay-off this season and has appeared in 33 of their 37 games.

He has started the last 14 matches but could find his place in the side under threat if Roeder, as expected, brings in some new signings before the transfer window closes.

However, Milner maintains that he would be delighted to see a few more star names arrive at St James' Park.

"Obviously, it is a massive club and there are always big names linked with the club," he said.

"That's what you want. You want competition in every position, and we have got that when players are fit.

"At the moment, we have got a lot of injuries and there is not as much competition in the place.

"But on the other hand, there are a lot of younger players coming through who are desperate to show their worth and keep their place when they get the chance.

"It would be great for everyone and give us a lift if players were brought in, but that's not up to us, we just have to go out there and get the results.

"That is up to the manager and the board and I am sure they will make the right decisions and bring the right players in."

Milner is set to start Newcastle's FA Cup third round replay against Birmingham on Wednesday and he is hoping his side can finish the job following a disappointing 2-2 draw at St Andrews.

"It was massively frustrating with them having a man sent off and being on top for the majority of the game and playing decent football," he said.

"We created chances and maybe it was our own fault because we should have taken a couple of chances at the other end.

"But it was one of those things. That is the FA Cup, things happen like that and we just need to make sure we go into the game with the right mentality and do the job and not get sloppy."

His crossing was shocking at the weekend like, so he doesn't want to be wishing for too much competition for his place.

quite. if everyone was fit, he wouldn't make the starting eleven.

His crossing was shocking at the weekend like, so he doesn't want to be wishing for too much competition for his place.

Was involved in our first two goals though.

I don't think that would save him if we got someone in who can cross the ball well consistently tbh.

Wouldn't he? He's by far the most effective right winger we have in the squad.

Chances are Dyer would be on the right and Duff on the left.

If everyone's fit (very unlikely):

Given

Nobby Taylor Ramage Hunty

Dyer Parker Emre Duff/Zoggy

Owen Martins

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Butt

Milner

Zoggy/Duff

Ameobi/Le Sib

* We will always have a few injuries though and need to rest players too, so the versatile Milner at the moment is quite rightly almost always going to get in the team.

I also like Dyer behind Martins but if Owen comes back on form we are not in a position to drop any of those three if playing well. Its nice to have three quality CM's in Parker Butt and Emre because of injuries, suspensions and having to rest at least one of them now and again.

Given

Owen Martins

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Butt

Milner

Zoggy/Duff

Ameobi/Le Sib

* We will always have a few injuries though and need to rest players too, so the versatile Milner at the moment is quite rightly almost always going to get in the team.

I also like Dyer behind Martins but if Owen comes back on form we are not in a position to drop any of those three if playing well. Its nice to have three quality CM's in Parker Butt and Emre because of injuries, suspensions and having to rest at least one of them now and again.

Why do Parker & Emre remain your first choice partnership in midfield? Not only do they play horribly together, but Butt has probaly been our best player this season. As for Dyer, he's relatively anonymous on the right. I would have him playing just off of Martins.

He crosses well with his left foot, but abysmally with his right. :lol:

I was just thinking that the other day. It was a (class) left-foot cross against Palermo iirc. Also, when he plays on the right, when he cuts back onto his left he normally puts a good ball in to the back post. He's right footed though. Strange.

Given

Owen Martins

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Butt

Milner

Zoggy/Duff

Ameobi/Le Sib

Why do Parker & Emre remain your first choice partnership in midfield? Not only do they play horribly together, but Butt has probaly been our best player this season. As for Dyer, he's relatively anonymous on the right. I would have him playing just off of Martins.

Whilst your Butt argument is a very good one and i agree that Butt has been in good form lately, i do not agree that Parker and Emre play 'Horribly' together.

I also really like the Dyer/ Martins pairing up front at the moment they look great together, but if Owen comes back then surely your not suggesting not playing Owen?? or is your line up a 433 without Wingers?

i.e.

Given

Defence

Parker Butt Emre

Dyer Owen Martins

Fuck off Scott Parker tbh

I'll set up a thread in your honour Sima after his next MOM performance.

Since he's been here he's been quality and probably had more MOM awards than any other player, i'd expect Given to be the only one close to him. He's out at the moment but he'll be back as good as ever soon, i expect you'll be back peddling soon enough.

Since he's been here he's been quality and probably had more MOM awards than any other player, i'd expect Given to be the only one close to him. He's out at the moment but he'll be back as good as ever soon, i expect you'll be back peddling soon enough.

Man of the Match performances given on how many teams he needlessy slides in to a tackle, prompting cheers of "GEEERRRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNN" from a section of our fans as the midfielder who evaded his tackle steams up the pitch?

Edited by Sima

Man of the Match performances given on how many teams he needlessy slides in to a tackle, prompting cheers of "GEEERRRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNN" from a section of our fans as the midfielder who evaded his tackle steams up the pitch?

There may just be more to his MOM performances than that. I remember the Arsenal and Waford games in particular to name two of many when he coulden't physically give us anymore, fantastic to see.

Given

Owen Martins

Harper/Krul

Edgar

Butt

Milner

Zoggy/Duff

Ameobi/Le Sib

Whilst your Butt argument is a very good one and i agree that Butt has been in good form lately, i do not agree that Parker and Emre play 'Horribly' together.

I also really like the Dyer/ Martins pairing up front at the moment they look great together, but if Owen comes back then surely your not suggesting not playing Owen?? or is your line up a 433 without Wingers?

i.e.

Given

Defence

Parker Butt Emre

Dyer Owen Martins

If everyone was fit, i would line them up something like this..

Given

Solano Taylor Moore Huntington

Milner Butt Dyer N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

I obviously hope we have better defenders than Moore and Huntington available by the time Owen is fit, though.

There may just be more to his MOM performances than that. I remember the Arsenal and Waford games in particular to name two of many when he coulden't physically give us anymore, fantastic to see.

Parker stood out when we were playing awful football under Souness, since then we've played better football when he's not in the side, Butt and Emre is by far our best midfield combination.

If we could get back what we paid for him I'd sell Parker.

I doubt you'd be saying Milner's crossing was shocking if Pattison had headed that very good chance in tbh.

He's been playing very well this season imo (yeah, so not outstanding), and seems to be improving as the season progresses. His work rate has also been fantastic, and doubly so that it comes after being treated so awfully. I don't get why everyone whines at him so much - he's clealry been one of our best players this season.

I thought it was telling on Sunday when Milner was criticised for his poor crossing by Andy Gray. Solano then put an equally poor cross in and Gray said nothing.

Milner's final ball was always shocking before this season, but it's improved no end since his time with Villa.

I thought it was telling on Sunday when Milner was criticised for his poor crossing by Andy Gray. Solano then put an equally poor cross in and Gray said nothing.

Milner's final ball was always shocking before this season, but it's improved no end since his time with Villa.

His final ball couldnt have been that bad in his first spell could it? :lol:

Its about consistency obviously. You would have be blind not to recognise that Milner cannot consistently cross a ball. Some like him but they are mistaken if they think he is goo enough for a regular spot at club like ours. Clubs pulling in 50,000 people shouldnt be looking at players like him, put it that way.

Not good enough and never will be.

His final ball couldnt have been that bad in his first spell could it? :lol:

Its about consistency obviously. You would have be blind not to recognise that Milner cannot consistently cross a ball. Some like him but they are mistaken if they think he is goo enough for a regular spot at club like ours. Clubs pulling in 50,000 people shouldnt be looking at players like him, put it that way.

Not good enough and never will be.

Consistent like SWP? Funny how his final ball is just as bad, but everyone seems to want to sign him.

Unfortunately I think Gerrard and Ronaldo are unavailable, despite the size of our crowd.

Who would you sign btw?