Great. Great Britain

bobbyshinton

Things that we the British have gave the world. Lets have a positive thread.

Football

The good old pub.

Electric

:lol:

English Grammar?

also, we didn't invent or discover electricity, it was the greeks who first notcied it's effects, but an American who fleshed out the theory.

We did give the world Association Football, but kicking a ball around was evident in ancient Egypt and in the far east.

We gave the world; the Steam engine, internal combustion engine, jet engine, Vacuum cleaner, the world wide web, the Cats Eye, Newtons Laws...

etc. etc.

Edit whoops, almost forgot the most important invention.

the Sandwich!

Edited by The Fish

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Chip Shops

Slavery

Decent and hard fought wars

A hellish navy with cool looking ships

Cricket

Rugby

Play.com

Alan Shearer

Good music festivals

Crumpets

Cups of tea

Slavery

:lol:

I don't think the English can lay claim to that...

Wikipedia

History of slavery

Main article: History of slavery

Slavery predates writing and evidence for it can be found in almost all cultures and continents. Its many origins remain unknown. An example of slavery is thought to have existed in the walled town of Jericho which was established around 10,000 BCE. The settlers of Jericho were plagued by roaming hunting and gathering bands, which they killed or captured. [citation needed] It is thought that the ones that were captured were then put to work as slaves who themselves may have later eventually become citizens and slave owners.[citation needed] Slavery can be traced to the earliest records, such as the Code of Hammurabi in Mesopotamia (~1800 BCE.), which refers to slavery as an already established institution. The forced labor of women in some ancient and modern cultures may also be identified as slavery. Slavery, in this case, includes sexual services.

Edited by The Fish

The industrial revolution. Arguably the most significant period in human history and we started it. Whats worse you can make a case for it being the geordies who really kicked it off*

* according to Prof Ranald Michie (ret) who was an Economic historian. Mad as a bag of spanners though.

Narcism.

(which the Germans misunderstood and made nazism out of).

Didn't Narcissus give the world Narcissism?

He was a Greek.

Pedant alert. Are my lot allowed to claim the invention of Nazism at least? :lol:

Narcism.

(which the Germans misunderstood and made nazism out of).

Didn't Narcissus give the world Narcissism?

He was a Greek.

Pedant alert. Are my lot allowed to claim the invention of Nazism at least? :lol:

I was hoping you'd appreciate efficiency and precision of my answer. ;)

Opium

:lol: Don't think so.

It fucking was!

or at least we got the Chinese addicted to it in the 1800's ;)

It had already been in China for 100's of years I think.

Opium

It fucking was!

Nah man

we fairly done them for it man,

Opium

It fucking was!

Nah man

we fairly done them for it man,

The Portuguese and the Dutch got there first. We exported there from India though.

Due to the growing British demand for Chinese tea, and the Chinese refusal to accept payment other than silver bullion, the British sought to substitute another commodity for which China was not self sufficient to alleviate the silver drain, which was beginning to cause a burden on the British economy. Opium was successfully used by the British traders to replace silver in exchange for Chinese tea for a period of decades. Many Chinese became addicted to opium, wreaking havoc among much of China's population. In response, the Imperial Qing dynasty halted the import of opium, demanding silver be traded instead. This response led to the Opium Wars, the British not willing to replace the cheap opium with costly silver