Life's mysteries...

FCUM

I saw an old friend today at the match who I've not seen for a while.

Unfortunately this guy is a full blown alcoholic and it struck me how painfully thin he looked. I've known a few alcoholics over the years and they were all painfully thin basically because they never fucking ate anything :blink:

Yet, whenever I go on the piss, drink makes me bloody hungry and whenever I finish I want to stuff my face with crap. It seems to effect most people the same.........

So why doesn't the drink make alcy's hungry......

I don't understand :)

It's the difference between social drinking and alcoholism. For those who are alcoholics, it's an all-consuming thing where the only thing that matters is where the next drink will come from, rather than when their next meal should be. I'm not 100% sure about this but I also think that excessive alcohol consumption becomes an appetite suppressant. The hangover effect leads to reduced appetite aswell.

Alcoholism is a horrible, horrible thing.

It's the difference between social drinking and alcoholism. For those who are alcoholics, it's an all-consuming thing where the only thing that matters is where the next drink will come from, rather than when their next meal should be. I'm not 100% sure about this but I also think that excessive alcohol consumption becomes an appetite suppressant. The hangover effect leads to reduced appetite aswell.

:blink: That's what I would have said.

:) That's what I would have said.

if you hadn't been necking that last bottle :blink:

I'm sure you're right Catmag, the drink must be an appetite suppressant but yet it appears to be the reverse in social drinkers :blink:

Do alcoholics get hangovers? Do they not just become immune? Fortunately I don't know the answer to that one.

I sit here pondering myself

I love food, normally can't go more than 4 hours without some, yet, been on the drink since 6 tonight and still not hungry. However, it has taken me 12 cans to get into a state anywhere near what I would consider merry, and I know full well I won't have any kind of a hangover, even if I got up at 8 tomorrow (which is lunacy, but for arguments sake). What's that all about?

I love food, normally can't go more than 4 hours without some, yet, been on the drink since 6 tonight and still not hungry. However, it has taken me 12 cans to get into a state anywhere near what I would consider merry, and I know full well I won't have any kind of a hangover, even if I got up at 8 tomorrow (which is lunacy, but for arguments sake). What's that all about?

Piss-weak lager? :blink::)

4% The Big T

aye your right though, piss being the operative word

4% The Big T

aye your right though, piss being the operative word

shandy tbh...

I saw an old friend today at the match who I've not seen for a while.

Unfortunately this guy is a full blown alcoholic and it struck me how painfully thin he looked. I've known a few alcoholics over the years and they were all painfully thin basically because they never fucking ate anything :blink:

Yet, whenever I go on the piss, drink makes me bloody hungry and whenever I finish I want to stuff my face with crap. It seems to effect most people the same.........

So why doesn't the drink make alcy's hungry......

I don't understand :)

I was thinking pretty much the same thing the other day :up:

My ex's Dad is an alcoholic and was too pissed to go food shopping most of the time anyway!

My brother is a plonky and he survives on 1 slice of toast a day and his usual alcohol consumption, he ate a bag crisps the other week and had to get his stomach pumped.

Seriously though it must suppress your appetite because he eats virtually nothing other than the slice of toast a day. I've seen him order a big meal from the chinese, pick at it and put the rest in the bin, he just can't eat a decent meal anymore. He more or less had to force feed himself with his christmas dinner at my mams.

Stinking plonky bastard what he is.

Guest Patrokles

A girl at work was telling about how a neighbour of hers gave her a lift somewhere so she thought she'd buy him a little thank you, and got him a bottle of wine or something, only to discover from his wife when she gave it that he was a very recent alcoholic trying to recover.

My brother is a plonky and he survives on 1 slice of toast a day and his usual alcohol consumption, he ate a bag crisps the other week and had to get his stomach pumped.

Seriously though it must suppress your appetite because he eats virtually nothing other than the slice of toast a day. I've seen him order a big meal from the chinese, pick at it and put the rest in the bin, he just can't eat a decent meal anymore. He more or less had to force feed himself with his christmas dinner at my mams.

Supportive I see! :blink:

Got this info from a Jim Morrison biography so it might be bollocks but anyway: If you drink heavily on a daily basis for long enough, your body's metabolism changes so that it becomes easier to break alcohol down and thus obtain most/all of your required calories from it. Obviously, this isn't very good for you.

Supportive I see! :angry:

Sensitive bastid is our Wacky.

Wont they just get beer bellies though?

and i think vodka's fattening too

No such thing as a beer belly, it's just a belly.

The only kinda related thing is alcohol can increase fat cravings and can somewhat mess with your ability to metabolise fat properly.

But when you're talking about alcoholics they are probably getting 80%+ of their daily calories from booze and either forgetting to eat or simply spending all their income on booze, the fact that it suppresses testosterone probably doesn't help either making male alocholics (at least) often skin and bone.