Chelsea wanted to swap Martins for SWP.

Jimbo

Glenn Roeder has again warned off clubs eyeing Obafemi Martins - and hinted that Chelsea have failed in a cheeky swap bid for the striker.

Newcastle manager Roeder last night revealed the depth of his frustration at failing to land his top targets during January.

But he insists Martins' impact this season is vindication of his ultra-selective transfer policy.

And the United boss revealed how his commitment to building a talented young squad meant he missed out on one of those targets this month . . .

After the player's club - apparently Chelsea - demanded one of Roeder's stars, believed to be Martins, in exchange.

"You couldn't buy Oba for £10 million now. I wouldn't even take the phone call," said Roeder, who has admitted an interest in Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

"There have been rumblings about Chelsea, but it's impossible. I am building a squad.

"I enquired about one player, and they said `we'll let you have him, but we want that player'. But one in, one out isn't any good to us.

"So I had to say `no, the player I want has to stay where he is, because you're not having the player from here that you want'."

Martins' largely impressive recent form has subdued those who believed Newcastle paid over the odds for him last summer.

And Roeder admitted: "Look at some of the other players who haven't settled as well in the Premiership as yet - like Shevchenko and Ballack.

"These are world-class footballers who haven't done as well as Oba, so I feel vindicated.

"Anything he does this season is a bonus anyway, because next season he will really take off."

"So I had to say `no, the player I want has to stay where he is, because you're not having the player from here that you want'."

Oooh I bet Jose was bricking it when Roeder said that to him. :blink:

Oooh I bet Jose was bricking it when Roeder said that to him. :blink:

:)

It wouldn't be up to Roeder if we sold him or not anyway tbh

The way he talks is an embarrassment. He is on the same mental planet as Alan Oliver and Saint and Greavsie.

Thought we had seen the last of the cliche driven bullshit of the sheepskin coat manager. Then again McClaren is England manager :blink:

How fucking thick are this lot though? Roeder seems a decent man, was a decent player in a shit side for us and always seems to have the club at heart.

He should NEVER have been made manager though. He isnt strong enough. Freddie is pissing him about and the thick fucker hasnt realised it.

Why are people mad at him for NOT selling Martins?

Ok the guy does stuff wrong and is no Robson or Keega, but FFS, he can't win it seems.

He swaps Martins for SWP and gets attacked, he doesn't and gets attacked.... who would be a football manager?

Ok the guy does stuff wrong and is no Robson or Keega, but FFS, he can't win it seems.

He swaps Martins for SWP and gets attacked, he doesn't and gets attacked.... who would be a football manager?

Who the hell has said that? Is that you leazesmag? :blink:

Absolutely spot on... :blink:

If ONLY the geniuses HERE were consulted, we'd be better than Barcelona :up::)

Seems like everyone's forgotten the stick Roeder got for waiting to get the right man....Martins has been a great signing. Give the guy a break for fucks sake.

:P:suicide:

Guest Patrokles

Seems like everyone's forgotten the stick Roeder got for waiting to get the right man....Martins has been a great signing. Give the guy a break for fucks sake.

The problem is that the majority seem to have already made up their minds that they're going to nitpick every single Roeder interview, read it selectively, and then make some kind of dig at him, regardless of what he says- even the things written by Oliver now get attributed to Roeder. He can't win.

The problem is that the majority seem to have already made up their minds that they're going to nitpick every single Roeder interview, read it selectively, and then make some kind of dig at him, regardless of what he says- even the things written by Oliver now get attributed to Roeder. He can't win.

Maybe they made up their mind because of all the nonsense Roeder already said in the past?

Guest Patrokles

Maybe they made up their mind because of all the nonsense Roeder already said in the past?

but the problem is that they're not willing to give him any credit for the stuff he says that turned out correct. I, personally, fully back his stance not to buy shit players.

but the problem is that they're not willing to give him any credit for the stuff he says that turned out correct. I, personally, fully back his stance not to buy any players.

but the problem is that they're not willing to give him any credit for the stuff he says that turned out correct. I, personally, fully back his stance not to buy shit players.

To me this is idle talk tbh. No manager would say that he wants to buy "shit players" anyway. It's always what you are able to get out the players that counts. And even though Martins has started to do well, it is still early days before you really can call him a "good buy". I'll give Roeder the deserved credit when he actually signs players and they all turn out to be good, but not just by his intentions...

Guest Patrokles

To me this is idle talk tbh. No manager would say that he wants to buy "shit players" anyway. It's always what you are able to get out the players that counts. And even though Martins has started to do well, it is still early days before you really can call him a "good buy". I'll give Roeder the deserved credit when he actually signs players and they all turn out to be good, but not just by his intentions...

Don't think there can be too many complaints about any of the players he actually has signed, though. I think he's had his policy justified to an extent. yes, it's a shame we haven't signed defenders, but he did say even before the window that it was going to be extremely difficult to sign anyone decent in January. People don't seem to remember him saying that, they just take the bits where he says he's hopeful of getting someone of the requisite quality in.

Even Wenger buys turkeys occasionally (and I don't mean at Christmas :) )

The fact that Roeder has such respect for Wenger's ability to buy quality players at a good price is to be applauded. Is it really so long ago that we were all complaining about Souness wasting money on Boumsong and Luque?? Roeder's got it absolutely right tbh. :blink:

Don't think there can be too many complaints about any of the players he actually has signed, though. I think he's had his policy justified to an extent. yes, it's a shame we haven't signed defenders, but he did say even before the window that it was going to be extremely difficult to sign anyone decent in January. People don't seem to remember him saying that, they just take the bits where he says he's hopeful of getting someone of the requisite quality in.

He signed Martins, who is doing ok. He signed Sibierski in a panic state when the last transfer window closed (strange after saying that he wanted to reduce the average age and not going for players who are past it). Sib was doing ok at the beginning, but has recently been started to showing that he is the player everybody expected him to be. A good player, a shit player or maybe just mediocre player for a bottom half team? He signed Duff by the chance for good price, who so far has only be living on his reputation. Then we also have Rossi and Bernard and Srnicek who really have proved to be an astonishing success...

What I know is that Newcastle are currently lying in 12th place. Even with most players to our disposal at the start of the season the team was playing horrible football. Roeder said that Newcastle have to compete for a top six finish. That's what I am judging him on and what his buys have to be able to achieve.

Guest Patrokles

He signed Martins, who is doing ok. He signed Sibierski in a panic state when the last transfer window closed (strange after saying that he wanted to reduce the average age and not going for players who are past it). Sib was doing ok at the beginning, but has recently been started to showing that he is the player everybody expected him to be. A good player, a shit player or maybe just mediocre player for a bottom half team? He signed Duff by the chance for good price, who so far has only be living on his reputation. Then we also have Rossi and Bernard and Srnicek who really have proved to be an astonishing success...

What I know is that Newcastle are currently lying in 12th place. Even with most players to our disposal at the start of the season the team was playing horrible football. Roeder said that Newcastle have to compete for a top six finish. That's what I am judging him on and what his buys have to be able to achieve.

Given that we've been in decline for three years, it's simply not realistic to expect what is, in footballing time, an overnight fix.

Even Wenger buys turkeys occasionally (and I don't mean at Christmas :) )

The fact that Roeder has such respect for Wenger's ability to buy quality players at a good price is to be applauded. Is it really so long ago that we were all complaining about Souness wasting money on Boumsong and Luque?? Roeder's got it absolutely right tbh. :blink:

Exactly, no manager is immune against failures in the transfer market. I wasn't complaining about buying those players. I was complaining about not getting the right performances out of those players. That was the waste. Roeder can (as Robson did) buy as many "shit players" as he wants if he still is able to do reasonably well in the league with the squad to his disposal. Again, I will judge Roeder by results on the pitch, not on his intentions.

Given that we've been in decline for three years, it's simply not realistic to expect what is, in footballing time, an overnight fix.

Well, then Roeder shouldn't publicly set himself apparently unrealistic targets...

Guest Patrokles

Well, then Roeder shouldn't publicly set himself apparently unrealistic targets...

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious. If he talked about consolidation, rebuilding, etc, then people would frown on him for that, too. As I said, he seems to be in something of a no-win situation as far as some are concerned. I'm not claiming that he's perfect or that everything he's said has been spot-on, but I do think that people are far too quick to criticise EVERYTHING he says, which is what I take issue with.