Left Back

David Kelly

I am truely staggered that we have managed to fuck up another transfer window so badly that we didn't manage to get a leftback in (even on loan).

I agree with Roeder's policy of only wanting to bring in players who are good enough to be here in the long term but with but we are absolutely desperate for a proper left back that I cannot believe we could not get someone in who would improve us.

Our only two so called leftbacks are a complete waste of time. Babayarou only plays when he feels like it (I predict no more than five more games for him between now and the end of the season) and Bernard is obviously not going to play for us again.

Playing right footed centreback there limits us so much that it's like playing with ten men going forward as whoever plays there offers no link up at all with our left winger which I have no doubt has greatly contributed to Duff and N'Zogbia struggling so badly for form this season.

This is in turn causing us to be put under more pressure at the back which is why we haven't kept a clean sheet for so long.

I know there's basically fuck all we can do now that the transfer window is shut but I am just so pissed off that our so called management are so stupid that they either can't see how big a problem it is or can't work our that there must be shit loads of players we could have brought in to massive effect.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you've kind of nailed it,the lack of quality however at left back indicates to me that either our scouting network is shit ( which i think it is) or we still haven't identifed internally at newcastle that the most obvious priority is a quality left back, thats comfortable on the ball, has genuine pace, good tackling and distribution skills and can cross! its not too much is it?

His policy of only bringing players in that are good enough in the long-term is utter bullshit anyway. How do Sibierski and Bernard fit into that policy?

As much as saying to only go for proven Premiership players and not some obscure foreigners and then trying to get some dodgy Frenchman...

His policy of only bringing players in that are good enough in the long-term is utter bullshit anyway. How do Sibierski and Bernard fit into that policy?

Very true both of them were short term panic buys brought about through lack of the P word!

you've kind of nailed it,the lack of quality however at left back indicates to me that either our scouting network is shit ( which i think it is)

Of course our scouting network is shite (I dont think he renewed his Ipswich season ticket) the scouts should of been out at the start of the season over europe looking for players we need in key areas and then Fatty and the ferret could of gone from there

His scouting network is probably Harrison the fat backward flump dodgy dealer,see he was in the chron last night,claiming fame to the Gooch signing and bringing up how he brought Albert here AGAIN!,how people in football can still be connected to this backward tit is beyond me.

Edited by @yourservice

I know there's basically fuck all we can do now that the transfer window is shut but I am just so pissed off that our so called management are so stupid that they either can't see how big a problem it is or can't work our that there must be shit loads of players we could have brought in to massive effect.

I would imagine that thoses LBs that were good enough either:

1. we could not afford

or

2. simply would not come here

Those are two things I think NUFC and its fans are going to have to get used to. ;)

you've kind of nailed it,the lack of quality however at left back indicates to me that either our scouting network is shit ( which i think it is) or we still haven't identifed internally at newcastle that the most obvious priority is a quality left back, thats comfortable on the ball, has genuine pace, good tackling and distribution skills and can cross! its not too much is it?

I think our scouting network in the context of young unknown talent seems to be none existent since Bobby Robson left, which again leave us with established players we can't afford or don't want to come.

Edited by Fop

1. we could not afford

or

Those are two things I think NUFC and its fans are going to have to get used to. ;)

stop talking sense, you'll confuse them

If we've got no money, how come we bid for Huth at the end of August then? And why did we sign Duff?

I'd guess Martins took a lot, and Duff we got "cheap" (at least in fee if not wages), but our wage bill is huge (dispite the squad being small), and I don't think its a coincidence that both our major targets were loan signings (although I expect there's a bit of not wanting to potentially waste the money we have until the summer when hopefully a bit of genuine rebuilding - not just injury filling in - can occur).

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment. ;)

If we've got no money, how come we bid for Huth at the end of August then? And why did we sign Duff?

I'd guess Martins took a lot, and Duff we got "cheap" (at least in fee if not wages), but our wage bill is huge (dispite the squad being small), and I don't think its a coincidence that both our major targets were loan signings (although I expect there's a bit of not wanting to potentially waste the money we have until the summer when hopefully a bit of genuine rebuilding - not just injury filling in - can occur).

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment. ;)

We bid for Huth after we'd signed Martins. He went to Boro for £6million. Duff was £5million.

We all know we can't afford the likes of Cole, Bridge, Neville or even Bale for that matter but what shits me the most is the way the club seems to totally ignore deals like citeh have done for players like Hatem Trabelsi and Michael Ball. Players who may not be "world class" but who are trying to revive their careers and are on a pay as you play deal (Ball I'm not sure about but you can bet there are performance clauses in his contract). If they turn out to be shit and past it, they cost next to nothing, if they find their form again and help strengthen the team then the opportunity to extend the contract is there with out the initial huge outlay.

We bid for Huth after we'd signed Martins. He went to Boro for £6million. Duff was £5million.

Aye Duff was being rated at much more though, hence "cheap" (although given his form this season maybe wrongly), I thought we had maybe £8,000,000 to spend in Jan, but that we haven't suggests either we didn't or that anyone we really wanted cost a lot more than that (or that anyone we could afford and was good enough simply didn't want to come here).

Aye Duff was being rated at much more though, hence "cheap" (although given his form this season maybe wrongly), I thought we had maybe £8,000,000 to spend in Jan, but that we haven't suggests either we didn't or that anyone we really wanted cost a lot more than that (or that anyone we could afford and was good enough simply didn't want to come here).

It's the takeover rumours fault tbh, the fat fuck needed the cash just in case he only had one last chance to squeeze the cash cow. ;)

Don't we have no full backs in the academy at all? :nufc:

None that are good enough by the look of it because we're playing Huntington at left back, who looks out of position and out of his depth. You have to cut the lad a lot of slack though because a) he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, and b ) he certainly shouldn't be at left back.

Bloke two seats along from me last night was ranting about Huntington - at one point he lost the ball, recovered but gave away a corner because of it. There was a ripple of applause for him recovering to get the challenge in. This tit was going "If that was Peter Ramage you'd be fucking going mental at him, but here people are clapping cos he lost his man then gave away a corner. He should be getting bollocked."

Yeah, that's the way to treat a kid out of his depth and in the wrong position. ;)

1. we could not afford

or

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment.

See I don't go along with this. I agree we probably couldn't aford/attract the type of leftback we ideally want (the likes of Bridge or Baines) but the situation we're in means that we could look for someone with less quality on for the short term. This could either be a player on loan or someone that could provide cover in the future when we get someone of the sufficient quality in.

You can't tell me that there aren't any players on the continent or in the lower leagues that we couldn't have brought in that wouldn't have been an improvement on playing Rammage/Huntington/Edgar/Carr there.

Citeh signed Ball for next to nothing and I would have thought that by simply being a leftback he would have been better than what we have now!

Don't we have no full backs in the academy at all? ;)

None that are good enough by the look of it because we're playing Huntington at left back, who looks out of position and out of his depth. You have to cut the lad a lot of slack though because a) he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, and b ) he certainly shouldn't be at left back.

Bloke two seats along from me last night was ranting about Huntington - at one point he lost the ball, recovered but gave away a corner because of it. There was a ripple of applause for him recovering to get the challenge in. This tit was going "If that was Peter Ramage you'd be fucking going mental at him, but here people are clapping cos he lost his man then gave away a corner. He should be getting bollocked."

Yeah, that's the way to treat a kid out of his depth and in the wrong position. :good:

He makes a good point but it's probably not the one he meant to make. Rammage deserves slack for exactly the same reasons and both (all our players actually - except Carr :nufc: ) should get encouragement when they do something right!

Guest Patrokles

How can people in the same breath frown on Roeder for looking at 'obscure foreigners,' and follow it by saying that our scouting network isn't good enough to target anyone obscure and foreign?