Call Centres Abroad, is the tide turning?

themags

Newcastle Building Society ditches offshoring; backs UK staff

The Newcastle Building Society is shutting down its back office processing unit in Mumbai, India after finding that its staff in the UK were more efficient, accurate and cheaper.The building society set up an Indian pilot two years ago to measure how it performed in comparison with an internal team in Tyneside.

The Indian unit was set up to handle support service functions on administrative work which the building society manages for third parties.

But according to a Financial Times report the Newcastle has concluded that the Indian unit did not offer the expected flexibility or cost savings. Tyneside workers also outperformed their Indian counterparts on efficiency, accuracy and costs.

As a result the building society will increase the number of staff it employs at its operations in the north-east of England. Earlier this week insurance firm Norwich Union was reported to be bringing 150 call centre jobs that it originally outsourced to its offshore centres in India back home to Britain.

The move to bring some call centre work back to the UK was reported to be due to communication problems between UK customers and Indian staff.

Furthermore, last year energy supplier Powergen said it was closing down its call centre operations in India and bringing the jobs back to the UK following complaints from customers.

We have had to bring a lot of work back over from an Indian call centre because they didn't know what certain things were. Not their fault like, if its not on the script they are pretty much fucked!

Newcastle Building Society ditches offshoring; backs UK staff

The Newcastle Building Society is shutting down its back office processing unit in Mumbai, India after finding that its staff in the UK were more efficient, accurate and cheaper.The building society set up an Indian pilot two years ago to measure how it performed in comparison with an internal team in Tyneside.

The Indian unit was set up to handle support service functions on administrative work which the building society manages for third parties.

But according to a Financial Times report the Newcastle has concluded that the Indian unit did not offer the expected flexibility or cost savings. Tyneside workers also outperformed their Indian counterparts on efficiency, accuracy and costs.

As a result the building society will increase the number of staff it employs at its operations in the north-east of England. Earlier this week insurance firm Norwich Union was reported to be bringing 150 call centre jobs that it originally outsourced to its offshore centres in India back home to Britain.

The move to bring some call centre work back to the UK was reported to be due to communication problems between UK customers and Indian staff.

Furthermore, last year energy supplier Powergen said it was closing down its call centre operations in India and bringing the jobs back to the UK following complaints from customers.

Good news. I suspect the competition has helped sharpen our apetities.

We use two PC suppliers at work, HP & Dell....

HP have their customer services in India, Dell has their's in Ireland.

Which do I prefer?? Well I've never had the Dell engineers tell me they can't understand what I am saying.

I hope so. I make a conscious effort to use companies with call centres based in this country as in my experience the customer service is a lot better.

I got rid of my M&S card after a call centre based abroad managed to pay £1600 to the wrong place and it took me ages to sort out. It was only resolved when it was transferred to Chester where M&S staff sorted it out and paid compensation!

Aye, it seemed all the call centres were moving there at one point, nice to see some jobs coming back here for a change.

This is all good news for Cath of course, who will no doubt be considering her options in the wake of Rob's career advice.

The last time I rang a call centre, it was in India and the guy used the usual fake English name, 'Charles' I think it was. At the end of the call he forgot though and said "thank you for your call, you've been talking to Rajesh". :o

Believe me if you want but im not making this up, part of their training was to watch tapes of things like Eastenders and Corontation street to see how people talked etc..

"Good afternoon Mr. Robinson, YOU DONUT! Do you have a few minutes of time for me to talk to you about the most excellent offer we have here at Toucan Telecom? OH COME ON BRUV! IT'S WICKED"

Believe me if you want but im not making this up, part of their training was to watch tapes of things like Eastenders and Corontation street to see how people talked etc..

"Good afternoon Mr. Robinson, YOU DONUT! Do you have a few minutes of time for me to talk to you about the most excellent offer we have here at Toucan Telecom? OH COME ON BRUV! IT'S WICKED"

;) Better than Betty's hotpot.