Greg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roeder Reveals Reason For Martins Absence

By Craig Hope

GLENN Roeder has revealed that Oba Martins did not appear for Nigeria on Tuesday because he was back in his homeland to attend to his sick mother.

Martins was missing from the Nigeria side which was beaten 4-1 by African rivals Ghana in a friendly match at Brentford's Griffin Park.

But as Roeder told nufc.co.uk: ""Oba was back in training on Wednesday after making a lightning quick return to Nigeria to attend to his mother who has been poorly."

United made it clear in good time that they had not prevented Martins from playing in the game.

The Toon's top scorer is now back on Tyneside and has brought his mother with him to receive medical treatment.

On our NHS?!? :lol:

Still doing it I see.

Sour grapes isn't attractive tbh. :lol:

I'd love you to explain how I've displayed sour grapes in this thread btw.

See the posts above plain to see to be frank.

Still doing it I see.

That was well explained.

Still doing it I see.

That was well explained.

I thought so, nothing better than simply showing the facts. Now be careful you don't trip over that pouting lip.

Edited by Fop

Still doing it I see.

That was well explained.

I thought so, nothing than simply showing the facts. Now be careful you don't trip over that pouting lip.

Didn't explain it though, did you? If it's that obvious it should be easy.

Plus I'm not sure if you're confusing the EU right to work freely within another EU state (which is nothing to do with what I'm talking about) with a denial of right to work which is.

I am confusing nothing. I'd like you to show me where an enforceable EU "right to work" is legislated...

It's not but then that whole side of things is very wooly (I'd like you to show me where saying that freebies should be declared is a breach tbh - or are you saying you know more about this than Ms. Blair?), but a denial of right to work is a different thing entirely.

I don't know that particular case. Has there been one? Has Cherie won it? I only had a quick glance at it via google and only read that she based her claims on the freedom of use of property which in fact is legislated.

What I know is that there is no European "right to work". You do have the European convention of human rights which forbids forced labour, but that's all. There is nothing woolly about it, there is no legal base of such a "human right". There is only the fundamental freedom in the EU which is something completely different as you recognised correctly and which wouldn't apply to this particular case.

Edited by Isegrim

Still doing it I see.

That was well explained.

I thought so, nothing than simply showing the facts. Now be careful you don't trip over that pouting lip.

If you need me to explain what sour grapes is just look it up tbh.

Still doing it I see.

That was well explained.

If you need me to explain what sour grapes is just look it up tbh.

I don't, I asked you to explain how I'd displayed it in this thread. You're comprehension's on a par with your humour anyway. :lol:

Plus I'm not sure if you're confusing the EU right to work freely within another EU state (which is nothing to do with what I'm talking about) with a denial of right to work which is.

I am confusing nothing. I'd like you to show me where an enforceable EU "right to work" is legislated...

It's not but then that whole side of things is very wooly (I'd like you to show me where saying that freebies should be declared is a breach tbh - or are you saying you know more about this than Ms. Blair?), but a denial of right to work is a different thing entirely.

I don't know that particular case. Has there been one? Has Cherie won it? I only had a quick glance at it via google and only read that she based her claims on the freedom of use of property which in fact is legislated.

What I know is that there is no European "right to work". You do have the European convention of human rights which forbids forced labour, but that's all. There is nothing woolly about it, there is no legal base of such a "human right". There is only there fundamental freedom in the EU which is something completely different as you recognised correctly and which wouldn't apply to this particular case.

Aye's legislation (or at least, as above, applicable legislation - much of the human rights act is all about how well you can argue some vague applies to whatever specific situation - which is why Blair gets such good money, she's very good at making the case, look at her legal victory reguarding Corus workers and such) about denial or right to earn a living and such, not right to work as as in everyone has a right to a job or something.

I believe it was successfully used by asylum seeker bodies in this country reguarding some of the legislation the Government did or was wanting to bring it.

As far as I'm aware such a thing has not been tested in football, but seeing a lot of the things that do get up held if it ever it it may well change the game massively... although that may well be the thing that stops all sides from doing it.

It'll be interesting if they ever do though, no one expected Bosman to become what it did.

I don't, I asked you to explain how I'd displayed it in this thread. You're comprehension's on a par with your humour anyway. :lol:

And in fact this is just an example of its continuation (as I suspect you well know).

But frankly if you cannot genuinely see your own sour grapes in this thread (which I very much doubt) then I suspect pointing it out to you isn't going to help much.

Sour grapes is the false denial of desire for something sought but not acquired, to denigrate and feign disdain for that which one could not attain. This metaphor originated from the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop, where the protagonist fox fails to reach some grapes hanging high up on a vine, retreats, and says that the grapes are sour anyway.

What you on about Fop?

Edited by ChezGiven

And in fact this is just an example of its continuation (as I suspect you well know).

But frankly if you cannot genuinely see your own sour grapes in this thread (which I very much doubt) then I suspect pointing it out to you isn't going to help much.

Fuck me :lol: just admit you can't explain where I've displayed it (or used the wrong phrase). Saying you just did there doesn't count btw. If you'd said I was a pedantic twat or whatever I wouldn't have had an argument.

Sour grapes is the false denial of desire for something sought but not acquired, to denigrate and feign disdain for that which one could not attain. This metaphor originated from the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop, where the protagonist fox fails to reach some grapes hanging high up on a vine, retreats, and says that the grapes are sour anyway.

What you on about Fop?

If you're going to google and quote remember to quote it all. :lol:

The next paragraph down from that reads:

The phrase is sometimes also used to refer to one expressing, in an unsportsmanlike or ungracious way, anger or frustration at having failed to acquire something (i.e. being a "sore loser"), regardless of whether the party denies their desire for the item.

Although as it says further down that may be a "slipshod" extension of the metaphor, so hang me (or ban me from using it for 6 threads or something :lol:).

Edited by Fop

Aye, that would be a clever point if 1) you didn't need to look up the phrase after you used it to check what it mean and 2) It was applicable to me in this thread. :lol: Backatcha

Fuck me :lol: just admit you can't explain where I've displayed it (or used the wrong phrase). Saying you just did there doesn't count btw. If you'd said I was a pedantic twat or whatever I wouldn't have had an argument.

Pedantic twat. :P