Obafemi Martins

Greg

statement made by club on monday in link above.

Anyway, anyone else tried to get to Griffin Park? Its a fucking nightmare, trains are shit from Waterloo and that stretch of the M4 is mental in rush hour. I reckon he couldnt believe they were playing in the shit hole that is Brentford and went off to find a proper ground.

Probably went to the Emirates to watch a decent match.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

statement made by club on monday in link above.

Anyway, anyone else tried to get to Griffin Park? Its a fucking nightmare, trains are shit from Waterloo and that stretch of the M4 is mental in rush hour. I reckon he couldnt believe they were playing in the shit hole that is Brentford and went off to find a proper ground.

Probably went to the Emirates to watch a decent match.

is what i was thinking.

Guest Patrokles

He has played a lot of games this year, the Nigerian FA should have done better with all this mess and thought about the player.

They're notoriously terrible, to be fair.

He has played a lot of games this year, the Nigerian FA should have done better with all this mess and thought about the player.

Is it carpetbombabletastic?

Guest Patrokles

Is it carpetbombabletastic?

I don't get involved in politics. ;)

Maybe just a letterbomb to their HQ.

As I said, I would imagine that would be ineffective (i.e. fining the individual) especially to big clubs (thus making it unfair), as they could use it as an excuse (i.e. it was the player's decision) and easily pay the fines on their behalf.

Which again makes it effective, but not legal.

As I said shooting them would be VERY effective (both for the club and the player, although more the player of course ;) ) but effective action doesn't necessarily make it legal.

You can see this with the recording industry who not only do completely amoral things to defend their product, but even illegal things at times, the ends may justify the means if £££'s are the only grounds to judge things on, but thankful Law at least pays lip service to other ideals.

I ignored that originally as I thought it was so stupid but since you insist, that's a great example :lol: I wouldn't have a clue about the legal ramifications of a domestic ban though tbh :lol:

But it is a perfect example to illustrate why effectiveness is not the only constraint on behaviour or actions.

It'll be interesting when someone does get around to challenging football rules though, could be even more wide ranging than Bosman tbh.

I reckon he got lost.

Oba Martins

eko.jpg

Mr Eko

oba.jpg

Looks like the Alabama swamps.... ;)

Are you suggesting Emre sent him off on a mystery tour?

Well they are 'room mates'. :lol:

What with the Gallas thing and now Oba.....This could develop into the 'slave' issue that Moaney was intimating.

If Martins is found to have snubbed his country, he could face a domestic suspension.

How the hell does that work?

Banned from international games, ok. But domestic games? Why?

It wouldn't be much of a deterrent though would it? - The punishment for refusing to play for your country being suspended from playing for your country.

Frankly I'm surprise EU human rights laws allows it (in fact I would imagine it is illegal if it is ever challenged), it's like being suspended from work for not turning up to a charity fun run.

Wow, now there is a human right if I ever saw one... ;)

Have you read the EU human rights stuff?

You can used it for almost anything, its potty tbh.

But stuff like right to work, or not to be denied the right to work, is pretty much one of the genuinely reasonable bits.

I am even lecturing this sort of stuff, so yes I guess I've read it. A temporary ban for voluntarily neglecting a duty as set up in the statutes of the sports organisation (in this case even with clearance from the employer) would hardly been seen as an infringement of your right to work (which isn't an EU human right, but just a fundamental freedom btw).

If Martins is found to have snubbed his country, he could face a domestic suspension.

It wouldn't be much of a deterrent though would it? - The punishment for refusing to play for your country being suspended from playing for your country.

Frankly I'm surprise EU human rights laws allows it (in fact I would imagine it is illegal if it is ever challenged), it's like being suspended from work for not turning up to a charity fun run.

Wow, now there is a human right if I ever saw one... :lol:

But stuff like right to work, or not to be denied the right to work, is pretty much one of the genuinely reasonable bits.

I am even lecturing this sort of stuff, so yes I guess I've read it. A temporary ban for voluntarily neglecting a duty as set up in the statutes of the sports organisation (in this case even with clearance from the employer) would hardly been seen as an infringement of your right to work (which isn't an EU human right, but just a fundamental freedom btw).

You're telling me Cherie Blair couldn't win it? She even claimed people suggesting she declare freebies got for being the PM's wife was infringing her Human Rights. :lol:

Is she right or wrong? (as you seem to know more than her :P)

Plus I'm not sure if you're confusing the EU right to work freely within another EU state (which is nothing to do with what I'm talking about) with a denial of right to work which is.

Edited by Fop

You're telling me Cherie Blair couldn't win it? She even claimed people suggesting she declare freebies got for being the PM's wife was infringing her Human Rights. :lol:

Is she right or wrong? (as you seem to know more than me :P)

FYP

FYP

If you need to gloat about other peoples comments you frankly need to examine your life tbh. :P

But as I said is he/she talking about freedom to work or denial of right to work? Two VERY different things.

Plus I'm not sure if you're confusing the EU right to work freely within another EU state (which is nothing to do with what I'm talking about) with a denial of right to work which is.

I am confusing nothing. I'd like you to show me where an enforceable EU "right to work" is legislated...

FYP

If you need to gloat about other peoples comments you frankly need to examine your life tbh. :P

But as I said is he/she talking about freedom to work or denial of right to work? Two VERY different things.

Same goes with laughing at your own lame jokes tbh.

I am confusing nothing. I'd like you to show me where an enforceable EU "right to work" is legislated...

It's not but then that whole side of things is very wooly (I'd like you to show me where saying that freebies should be declared is a breach tbh - or are you saying you know more about this than Ms. Blair?), but a denial of right to work is a different thing entirely.

FYP

Same goes with laughing at your own lame jokes tbh.

Ooo handbags now! :P (hit a nerve there I guess :P)

Roeder Reveals Reason For Martins Absence

By Craig Hope

GLENN Roeder has revealed that Oba Martins did not appear for Nigeria on Tuesday because he was back in his homeland to attend to his sick mother.

Martins was missing from the Nigeria side which was beaten 4-1 by African rivals Ghana in a friendly match at Brentford's Griffin Park.

But as Roeder told nufc.co.uk: ""Oba was back in training on Wednesday after making a lightning quick return to Nigeria to attend to his mother who has been poorly."

United made it clear in good time that they had not prevented Martins from playing in the game.

The Toon's top scorer is now back on Tyneside and has brought his mother with him to receive medical treatment.

Roeder Reveals Reason For Martins Absence

By Craig Hope

GLENN Roeder has revealed that Oba Martins did not appear for Nigeria on Tuesday because he was back in his homeland to attend to his sick mother.

Martins was missing from the Nigeria side which was beaten 4-1 by African rivals Ghana in a friendly match at Brentford's Griffin Park.

But as Roeder told nufc.co.uk: ""Oba was back in training on Wednesday after making a lightning quick return to Nigeria to attend to his mother who has been poorly."

United made it clear in good time that they had not prevented Martins from playing in the game.

The Toon's top scorer is now back on Tyneside and has brought his mother with him to receive medical treatment.

Clearly FIFA will now ban him from seeing his mother, as it's the only effective deterrent. :lol: