Obafemi Martins

Greg

Martins declared "missing"

Nigeria coach Augustine Eguavoen has slammed Obafemi Martins for going AWOL for Tuesday's friendly against Ghana. He said he would report the Newcastle striker to FIFA, with strict new rules meaning he could risk a ban from club matches.

Eguavoen says Martins failed to join up with the squad for the game at Brentford's Griffin Park, and even suggested that the 22-year-old had left the country.

"He was invited but to my great surprise he is not here. He's nowhere to be found - he's not even in England," said Eguavoen.

"I will go to FIFA as it's the highest authority in football and this is the highest level of disrespect."

If Martins is found to have snubbed his country, he could face a domestic suspension.

Earlier this season, FIFA threatened to ban Chelsea's Claude Makelele for two matches for every France game he missed.

The midfielder had attempted to retire from international football but found himself called up by France anyway, a situation that led Jose Mourinho to describe Makelele as being treated like "a slave".

Fucking hell, we would in deep shit if he gets a domestic ban!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure they can do anything with it only being a friendly tbh

I think they can if its on a designated international date.

Tbf there is a full schedule of friendly matches going on and everyone else turned up for their countries and given the fact that the game was in Brentford and he didn't have to travel a million miles to get to the game I can see where the Nigerian manager is coming from.

Dear Mr Blatter,

My name is Dr Augustine Eguavoen, I am a highly respected member of the government of my country. I am contacting you on this day with special regards to a most urgent matter regarding one of my company's very large assets....

;)

Dear Mr Blatter,

My name is Dr Augustine Eguavoen, I am a highly respected member of the government of my country. I am contacting you on this day with special regards to a most urgent matter regarding one of my company's very large assets....

:lol:

Fifa always ready to 'look after the money'. ;)

If Martins is found to have snubbed his country, he could face a domestic suspension.

How the hell does that work?

Banned from international games, ok. But domestic games? Why?

It wouldn't be much of a deterrent though would it? - The punishment for refusing to play for your country being suspended from playing for your country.

It wouldn't be much of a deterrent though would it? - The punishment for refusing to play for your country being suspended from playing for your country.

;)

Frankly I'm surprise EU human rights laws allows it (in fact I would imagine it is illegal if it is ever challenged), it's like being suspended from work for not turning up to a charity fun run.

Hunting down and shooting players that didn't turn up would be one HELL of a deretent, but that doesn't mean it would be correct or legal.... although knowing FIFA that wouldn't stop them trying it. ;)

Frankly I'm surprise EU human rights laws allows it (in fact I would imagine it is illegal if it is ever challenged), it's like being suspended from work for not turning up to a charity fun run.

Hunting down and shooting players that didn't turn up would be one HELL of a deretent, but that doesn't mean it would be correct or legal.... although knowing FIFA that wouldn't stop them trying it. ;)

Perhaps move the whole 'roadshow' to Alabama. A Fifa van drops off a panting Martins in the night...Locals high on hooch and waving shotguns sniffing the night air...etc...I see it as a location piece, perhaps with a sub-plot of a local farmgirl being raped... :lol:

Wow, now there is a human right if I ever saw one... ;)

Perhaps move the whole 'roadshow' to Alabama. A Fifa van drops off a panting Martins in the night...Locals high on hooch and waving shotguns sniffing the night air...etc...I see it as a location piece, perhaps with a sub-plot of a local farmgirl being raped... :lol:

In all honesty Dafur would be the place for it at the moment. :lol:

But again say fining them for breach or contract (assuming the do indeed sign one) for not turning up is one thing.

But denying someones right to work for something that whilst related (you wouldn't get to play international football without domesitic unless you were an incredibly special case) is not directly the same thing.

And not only does it infringe the player but it also punishes the club who have done nothing wrong at all.

I'm amazed they can get away with it, in most other contexts there'd have been a test case already.

Wow, now there is a human right if I ever saw one... ;)

Have you read the EU human rights stuff?

You can used it for almost anything, its potty tbh.

But stuff like right to work, or not to be denied the right to work, is pretty much one of the genuinely reasonable bits.

In all honesty Dafur would be the place for it at the moment. :lol:

But again say fining them for breach or contract (assuming the do indeed sign one) for not turning up is one thing.

But denying someones right to work for something that whilst related (you wouldn't get to play international football without domesitic unless you were an incredibly special case) is not directly the same thing.

And not only does it infringe the player but it also punishes the club who have done nothing wrong at all.

I'm amazed they can get away with it, in most other contexts there'd have been a test case already.

'Boss Freddy' chews on a huge hock of ham. Richard Burton plays on the grammy his burlesque rendition of 'Dark Satanic Mills' in full blown Welshery. Hark is that the persistant squeek of a mouse...? No it its Glen Rodent snaffling crumbs under 'Boss Freddies' huge cherry wood desk.