Music that you just don't get

Jimbo

Are there any popular bands that for some reason just give you a *Whoosh* ?

Personally I don't get System of a down, what the fuck is that shit all about ?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alot of my mates don't get Pink Floyd, as you need to actually "listen" to them and they aren't easy on the ears

21676[/snapback]

How are Pink Floyd not easy on the ears?!

Sid Barrett's solo stuff, now that's hard on the ears, mind, soul...

alot of my mates don't get Pink Floyd, as you need to actually "listen" to them and they aren't easy on the ears

21676[/snapback]

21683[/snapback]

They're not easy for the sort of people who listen exclusively to the sort of shite our charts are filled with, the very idea of a song thats anything from 5-15 minutes is scary!!!

21676[/snapback]

21683[/snapback]

it is on my ear's but not on a lot of people who are used to this mindwatering shite that are out these days

I don't really get that - I mean I get it from a business perspective, unfortunately, sell them the same watered down shite they listened to last week - it's safer. But as a listener? The radio makes my head hurt after 5 minutes. I thought Virgin was ok the other day for about an hour - then I realised they have a playlist of about 5. Are people not bored to tears?

That I don't get.

Definitely System of a Down. To me, they just sound like a bunch of 14 year olds shouting, but I've been told its "dark and meaningful." Err, how?

21679[/snapback]

Not sure how "meaningful" it is. They try politics but it's all very cod.

They rock like no other though.

Definitely System of a Down. To me, they just sound like a bunch of 14 year olds shouting, but I've been told its "dark and meaningful." Err, how?

21679[/snapback]

Not sure how "meaningful" it is. They try politics but it's all very cod.

They rock like no other though.

21707[/snapback]

It probably has a supposed "hidden meaning" behind the lyrics, except a lot of the lyrics are probably a load of nonsense that the singer has to "decide what they mean" - Aerials is an example of this being an actual case apparently. Good band though.

Anyway - emo, and the emos that worship those whingers who sing about how their in despair after their girlfriend dumped them.

Firstly i'll try and explain about the bands that I do 'get' yet others don't...

System of a Down - It's very unfortunate that they have got lumped into this Nu-Metal scene dominated by the likes of Papa Roach, Korn etc. when they are at the completely different side of the spectrum but that is bound to happen because to the untrained listener they sound very similar. SOAD are the only really 'Nu-Metal' band I have kept close to my heart because they're lyrically they can be brilliant. As someone pointed out songs in the past like Aerials lack any sort of meaning or form. Recently though, they've became very politically driven and have started to pull away from the Nu-Metal stereotype; on their most recent album they're one or two slow songs with some brilliant lyrics that really ring true about modern day America (Lost in Hollywood and Sad Statue spring to mind).

***I may go on a bit of a rant now so be warned***

Pink Floyd - I'm at a point with Pink Floyd where I just can't understand how and why people don't see them as the best band that has ever walked this planet. I'm all for freedom of speech and people to have opinions but if you don't like them then sorry, you've no taste in music. I was fortunate enough to be able to sit down, get high and listen to Dark Side of the Moon all the way through and it really did blow me away. I know i'm not really doing anything to kill the myth about Pink Floyd just being music for stoners but if you actually sit down and listen to Dark Side of the Moon and concentrate solely on that for 40-50 minutes with or without drugs you'll be hard pushed to find an album that will move you so much. There is so much going on in Dark Side of the Moon that I still don't know what it all means, all I do know is that it's a fucking brilliant album. Admittedly it's not my favourite Pink Floyd album (That honour falls to The Wall. One and a half hours of hate filled rock and roll!) but it's the one that really gets most people into the Floyd. I urge everybody out there to give it a listen - 35 million people can't be wrong.

Syd Barrett - He was fucked off his face during his three solo albums so they aren't going to be easy listening. Even the end of Bike on TPATGOD when he was with Pink Floyd really gives some insight into his mental state. Saying that, for a madman to create songs like Dark Globe and Dominoes shows his talent.

And now for music I can't understand...

Any sort of Dance - How can people 'listen' to this. I mean I can understand dancing to it when you're in a club but listen to it?

Dance, Jazz, Hip Hop/Rap, whats called R&B which is actually just black pop.

The music I find most painful is "Castles in the air" Ibiza shite - I do honestly find it painful.

Also Elton John and Phil Collins.

Pink Floyd - I just find to be too mastubatory, too LSD, too hippy. I don't get the "35 million people" argument either - I think thats one of those albums that wankers who call themselves "music fans" have to have - I doubt anywhere near that have actually listened to it that many times.

Any sort of Dance - How can people 'listen' to this. I mean I can understand dancing to it when you're in a club but listen to it?

21828[/snapback]

Goes for me too. If people are on a night out in a club and either pissed or off their heads on drugs i'm sure there is some appeal/purpose to dance music. But i cannot ever understand how anybody could listen at home to that stuff when stone cold sober!

And i'm well aware that "dance" is a term that covers a whole range of sub genres which are often nothing like each other, but i find them all shite, just to varying degrees of how offensively bad they are.

Whats worse is how little talent some of it requires, press a few buttons, repeat stuff a load of others have doen in that genre begore and write lyrics a 5 year old could manage. And for the ones often in the charts theres always the option of taking an old/older song and ruining it by turning it into a shitty dance track.

I guess there isn't a sort I don't get. I 'get' what rap is all about, I just think it's a load of shite. With the exception of that kind of Hip-Hop/Rap/RnB area I can more of less listen to most kinds of music.

21828[/snapback]

Goes for me too. If people are on a night out in a club and either pissed or off their heads on drugs i'm sure there is some appeal/purpose to dance music. But i cannot ever understand how anybody could listen at home to that stuff when stone cold sober!

And i'm well aware that "dance" is a term that covers a whole range of sub genres which are often nothing like each other, but i find them all shite, just to varying degrees of how offensively bad they are.

Whats worse is how little talent some of it requires, press a few buttons, repeat stuff a load of others have doen in that genre begore and write lyrics a 5 year old could manage. And for the ones often in the charts theres always the option of taking an old/older song and ruining it by turning it into a shitty dance track.

21848[/snapback]

If you're chucking the likes of The Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk into that press a few buttons and 5 year olds lyrics you're totally ignorant tbh.

If you're chucking the likes of The Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk into that press a few buttons and 5 year olds lyrics you're totally ignorant tbh.

21891[/snapback]

Their kind of music will take a darn sight longer to produce than most guitarist-guitarist-bassist-drummer stuff would.

However what I'd term 'Galaxy dance' is in many cases a 10 minute job. The people behind that kind of music don't really like it, but it's a job and it pays.

I honestly don't think there is a genre I can't find something I like from.

I always thought dance was shit but after hearing accesible albums from Chemical Brothers, Fatboy slim, Moby, Daft Punk and Air I wouldn't come out with the blanket statement that it's all shit. Though the dance peak has passed, there's still some stuff I can listen to sober, LCD soundsystem and Mylo for example. I even listened to some Drum n Bass the other day and liked it (Pendulum). Love an inventive mix too, someone who makes money playing someone elses records is usually slagged off but mixing Snoop Dogg and Dolly Parton provides highly entertaining results.

Jazz too. Bunch of arseholes playing random notes for half an hour at a time I thought. But Benny Goodman and Jimmy Smith are great. Still can't see why people like Miles Davis though.

Never liked Hip-Hop/Rap either :D . Only been the last 5 or so years that I've realised that the shite that's in the charts is the lowest barrel scrapings.

I was definately more eletist in my tastes as a youngster, but I think if you refuse to listen to dance (or whatever) because you think people that do are twats, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Open up to all GOOD music and it will only make you a better musician. Stick to what you know you like and you'll learn nothing.

I saw the last couple of minutes of The Chemical Brothers at Reading about 5 years ago - they finished and 10 seconds later they switched on the "filler" music which happened to be Fat Boy Slim - I couldn't tell what was the difference in performance terms from one to the other - the former as far as I could tell could have just walked on, pressed "Play" and stood there for 40 minutes.

Yes I know I'm ignorant but to me its soulless drivel.

21891[/snapback]

Their kind of music will take a darn sight longer to produce than most guitarist-guitarist-bassist-drummer stuff would.

However what I'd term 'Galaxy dance' is in many cases a 10 minute job. The people behind that kind of music don't really like it, but it's a job and it pays.

21899[/snapback]

Aye, DJ Sammy and that shite is, well, shite.

Pink Floyd - I just find to be too mastubatory, too LSD, too hippy. I don't get the "35 million people" argument either - I think thats one of those albums that wankers who call themselves "music fans" have to have - I doubt anywhere near that have actually listened to it that many times.

21846[/snapback]

Fuck off :D:D

21828[/snapback]

Whats worse is how little talent some of it requires, press a few buttons, repeat stuff a load of others have done in that genre before and write lyrics a 5 year old could manage. And for the ones often in the charts theres always the option of taking an old/older song and ruining it by turning it into a shitty dance track.

21848[/snapback]

21891[/snapback]

Fortunately i couldn't give a toss if you think i'm "totally ignorant" or not, i've heard plenty of chemical brothers songs and at no point did i hear the lyrics and think i was in the presence of linguistic genius. And ironically i don't think the chemical brothers are anywhere near as bad as some dance music.

People can go on about how long it takes to produce all they like, i prefer the talent and skill of people playing actual instruments, creating everything themselves (because the chemical brothers themselves have happilly admitted to ripping music from other sources) and not relying on machines and technology to do everything for them.