Lent.

catmag

Lent is 40 days, right? Apologies if I'm wrong.

*thinks what he could give up for 40 days*

Would fuckin' love to give up choccy for 40 days :blink: But that is a near impossibility though.

I think its 46 this year, the bastards couldn't just round it down to 39 :mellow:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would fuckin' love to give up choccy for 40 days ;) But that is a near impossibility though.

I think its 46 this year, the bastards couldn't just round it down to 39 :blink:

:mellow: No, it's always 40 days.

Would fuckin' love to give up choccy for 40 days ;) But that is a near impossibility though.

I think its 46 this year, the bastards couldn't just round it down to 39 :blink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

Ash Wednesday, which may fall anywhere between February 4 and March 10, occurs forty-six days before Easter, but Lent is nevertheless considered to be forty days long, due to the fact that Sundays in this season are not counted among the days of Lent.

I didn't realise they didn't count Sundays, right enough I was wondering how it could change from year to year.

Ash Wednesday, which may fall anywhere between February 4 and March 10, occurs forty-six days before Easter, but Lent is nevertheless considered to be forty days long, due to the fact that Sundays in this season are not counted among the days of Lent.

I didn't realise they didn't count Sundays, right enough I was wondering how it could change from year to year.

I think Wiki's wrong tbh. Palm Sunday is the end of Lent isn't it? And it changes from year to year because it's based on the Jewish Lunar calendar, but while the dates change, the lenghth of it doesn't. I think.

Edited by alex

Nah its Easter Sunday, a week later iirc.

Ah right. You can tell I'm not religious. :mellow: It represents Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness though doesn't it? That ended on Palm Sunday didn't it?

I think Wiki's wrong tbh. Palm Sunday is the end of Lent isn't it? And it changes from year to year because it's based on the Jewish Lunar calendar, but while the dates change, the lenghth of it doesn't. I think.

Easter Sunday Shirley?

Ah right. You can tell I'm not religious. :blink: It represents Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness though doesn't it? That ended on Palm Sunday didn't it?

:mellow:

Are you sure?

Would fuckin' love to give up choccy for 40 days :razz: But that is a near impossibility though.

I think its 46 this year, the bastards couldn't just round it down to 39 ;)

Easter Sunday Shirley?

Aye, I've just checked. Got my RE in a twist I think. Trust the left-footers to know their stuff :blink:

Ah right. You can tell I'm not religious. :blink: It represents Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness though doesn't it? That ended on Palm Sunday didn't it?

Are you sure?

I was half right it seems. It does represent his 40 days in the wilderness.

Ah right. You can tell I'm not religious. :mellow: It represents Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness though doesn't it? That ended on Palm Sunday didn't it?

Aye you're right there but Lent is supposed to be representative of Jesus' suffering rather than a factually correct reinaction.

Are you sure?

I was half right it seems. It does represent his 40 days in the wilderness.

;)

Aye you're right there but Lent is supposed to be representative of Jesus' suffering rather than a factually correct reinaction.

It was hell for him to do without chocolate during his desert trip.

What does Ramadan represent then?

It leads up to when Mohammed captured Mecca and reclaimed the Kabba (that stone cube they circle) - i.e. Eid. Dunno why they fast though. Copycats tbh.

Briefly..

Palm Sunday is the Sunday before Easter Sunday, is the last Sunday of Lent and the beginning of Holy Week. It represents the day that Jesus returned to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover when the people of Jerusalem waved palm leaves to welcome him. The period of fasting and abstinence continues through to the beginning of Easter Sunday.

Today is Ash Wednesday. No meat, no sweets, no chocolate, no crisps, no alcohol :mellow: