Fat Fred

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Decisions  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norman Smith..............35 Games............Won 12............Lost 15.

Richard Dinnis..............40 Games............Won 12............Lost 18.

Jack Charlton...............48 Games............Won 15............Lost 18.

Ossie Ardilles...............47 Games.............Won10.............Lost 39.

Ruud Gullit...................52 Games.............Won 18............Lost 20.

I was looking at that and thinking fucking hell, that really is dreadful. I remember results were bad but I didn't realise they were that bat under Ossie. Then I realised 10 wins + 39 defeats = more than 47 games. What should that stat be?

EDIT: quick check reveals it should be 19 defeats. Still pretty shit like.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ossie Ardilles...............47 Games.............Won10.............Lost 19.

I was looking at that and thinking fucking hell, that really is dreadful. I remember results were bad but I didn't realise they were that bat under Ossie. Then I realised 10 wins + 39 defeats = more than 47 games. What should that stat be?

EDIT: quick check reveals it should be 19 defeats. Still pretty shit like.

SORRY, typo error. :unsure: have corrected it. :lol:

If no please add what you think was the worst decision.

you aren't aware that a previous Newcastle chairman decided to sell Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle are you :)

Isn't it the manager that buys and sells players?

of course, the point being that when those players were sold - it was either/and against the managers wishes, and the players wanted to leave the club because the club was shit ?

Don't you understand this ?

you aren't aware that a previous Newcastle chairman decided to sell Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle are you :)

Ask Gary Speed that one

However, when one considers prior boards to current boards you have to go back to 1961 to see the poor choices of managers.

Ossie Ardilles...............47 Games.............Won10.............Lost 19.

BTW, you forgot Bill McGarry. Or didn't you know he was manager once, and left us in the bottom 3 of the 2nd division.

No way did I forget McGarry!!

I just chose managers who were in charge for about 50 or less games, McGarry was in charge for 118, Livingstone for 99, Dalglish for 78, and Gordon Lee for 74.

Actually I don't fault the board for hiring Ossie Ardilles even though his record was atrocious, he had the Lads playing good football but unfortuately it didn't win us games. If Ossie had proved to be a success at winning games we may never have seen Keegan as manager.

It depends what you want from managers, or what you think they should be. Personally, Ardiles - and Galvin his assistant - both had the personality and motivational qualities of dried prunes and should not have been allowed anywhere near St James Park. Following hot on the heels of Jim Smith - the 8TH CHOICE of a mediocre bunch of managers apart from Howard Kendall another Geordie who didn't want anything to do with the club at that time - it was truly the lowest of the lowest position the club sank to.

I was quite amazed how many people harped on about "ozzies babes" and other such shite, who were probably from the same mould as the arseholes who thought Souness would miraculously transform into Alex Ferguson simply because he chose to get rid of a perceived "bad egg".

You would think people would grow up and learn from experience, but sometimes it would appear not to be the case, as there are still people around who have turned against a player who was popular when he was here and STILL think we are better off, despite all the results since then proving the complete opposite.

They had a case for appointing Dinnis, although the real tragedy was losing Lee and the strike and strife that followed.

Jack Charlton too, didn't really want to be manager, so should not have been given the job. Again, like Lee, losing Cox was something even a half decent club would never have allowed to happen.

Edited by LeazesMag

Ask Gary Speed that one

I would rather ask you what I have already asked you, which you can't reply, which you keep avoiding. Can't you find a few minutes at playtime :(

you aren't aware that a previous Newcastle chairman decided to sell Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle are you :(

Ask Gary Speed that one

I would rather ask you what I have already asked you, which you can't reply, which you keep avoiding. Can't you find a few minutes at playtime :(

I have been to a funeral, pleb. Answer the question asked and you will get your reply. :)

From Sir Bobby's book. A small part of Chapter 20. Undermined.

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Spped's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew notning of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' Having let Hugo Viana go back to Portugal, to play more football, we had lost two left footed midfielders. I needed to plug that hole and so, when my indignation had subsided, I gave the chairman four names - Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Mark Van Bommel and Sean Davis.

'Why don't you bring Carrick in, he's talented, and he's a Geordie,' I suggested but the chairman was reluctant to pay West Ham £3 million for Carrick's services. His view was that he could aquire him for £500,000 in the January transfer window. Freddy Shepherd honestly believed that Carrick would not move to any Premier league club but Newcastle. He was in the last year of his contract at Upton Park - hence Freddy's belief that West Ham would have to unload him for a reduced fee in January.

I told him 'Look, chairman, if another club comes in and pays West Ham the moneythey're looking for, they will not turn that money down.' Michael Carrick signed for Tottenham Hotspur that summer.

Here's another part from an early chapter about Bowyer..

The sands were shifting beneath my feet. Towards the end of that season, Charlie Woods came into my office.

'Bobby, you won't believe this, but David Pleat has been on and wants to know whats up with Lee Bowyer,' he said. David was the director of football at Spurs.

'David Pleat's been on the phone asking what?' I replied, incredulously.

Charlie ploughed on with the story. 'David was asking whether Lee is injured or something. He said. "The reason I'm asking is that he's been offered to me."

'The kid's worth £4 million,' I erupted. 'Who's offered him to Spurs?'

Charlie had the answer - 'The chairman'

Freddie Shepherd had apparently rung David Giess, Bowyer's agent, saying 'Get him out of this club. I want him out. I'm not paying his salary,' and so on and so on. He hadn't come to me for my opinion or asked, 'Are you happy with Bowyer?' I realised Bowyer wasn't playing very well and so did the chairman, but his response was to take the law into his own hands.

you aren't aware that a previous Newcastle chairman decided to sell Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle are you :(

Ask Gary Speed that one

I would rather ask you what I have already asked you, which you can't reply, which you keep avoiding. Can't you find a few minutes at playtime :blink:

I have been to a funeral, pleb. Answer the question asked and you will get your reply. :)

I have answered this before, dipshit.

You however, left the previous and earlier question unanswered. If you think you know more than me, prove it.

In playtime, if you must.

:(

Ask Gary Speed that one

I would rather ask you what I have already asked you, which you can't reply, which you keep avoiding. Can't you find a few minutes at playtime :blink:

You however, left the previous and earlier question unanswered. If you think you know more than me, prove it.

You havent. Its your turn first retard! :(

Ask Gary Speed that one

HOHO.....an intelligent schoolteacher resorting to abuse .......

Note to Sheargol........I hope if I respond to this dipshit, you notice who is being the abusive one here....perhaps you can tell me why you think he won't reply to my - earlier - questions, being so confident he is right .... like when you threatened to ban me .....

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to ban him, just don't post a comment to me saying you would ban me if I correctly and quite rightly tell him what a wanker he is in response ........

Hopefully, he will see sense and go back to the playground

Ask Gary Speed that one

HOHO.....an intelligent schoolteacher resorting to abuse .......

Note to Sheargol........I hope if I respond to this dipshit, you notice who is being the abusive one here....perhaps you can tell me why you think he won't reply to my - earlier - questions, being so confident he is right .... like when you threatened to ban me .....

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to ban him, just don't post a comment to me saying you would ban me if I correctly and quite rightly tell him what a wanker he is in response ........

Hopefully, he will see sense and go back to the playground

Abuse? More a statement of fact really. Now answer the question instead of wriggling! :(

You know, for a while I thought that LeasesMag was a well-informed person with inside knowledge of the goings-on at St. James' Park, but after reading all his posts I have come to the conclusion that he is nothing more than a pedantic, self-congratulating efusive egoist who is forever attempting to insist that he alone is the only one who knows everything there is to know about Newcastle United. I find it sad that he hasn't the sense nor objectivity to see that for the most part he makes a fool of himself by trying to infuse people with his opinions.

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :)

You know, for a while I thought that LeasesMag was a well-informed person with inside knowledge of the goings-on at St. James' Park, but after reading all his posts I have come to the conclusion that he is nothing more than a pedantic, self-congratulating efusive egoist who is forever attempting to insist that he alone is the only one who knows everything there is to know about Newcastle United. I find it sad that he hasn't the sense nor objectivity to see that for the most part he makes a fool of himself by trying to infuse people with his opinions.

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :(

well done Noelie, nail on head...just put him on ignore like the rest of us :)

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Spped's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew notning of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' .

That's shocking if true :)

What about the rumours that Shearer sat in on Allardyce's interview. Was that true or urban myth?

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :)

What a shame, Tony. I was prepared to think that as an older supporter you could have some knowledge to show me, but it has became obvious that you do not.

In fact, as I have said, your knowledge and awareness of the club from the 1960's until 1992 appears to be zero. But you aren't alone, so don't let it worry you.

What a shame you are also too dumb to realise that until the schoolteacher hurled abuse at me simply for disagreeing with him - or showing him to be wrong - you have slated me for being the abusive one on the basis that you for some reason think he is right, when he isn't, or don't have a mind of your own. Which, again, is surprising and a great shame for someone of your age, who could have a lot to tell us all, if only you had kept on supporting the club during the 30+ years when you said you did.

Edited by LeazesMag

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :(

What a shame, Tony. I was prepared to think that as an older supporter you could have some knowledge to show me, but it has became obvious that you do not.

In fact, as I have said, your knowledge and awareness of the club from the 1960's until 1992 appears to be zero. But you aren't alone, so don't let it worry you.

What a shame you are also too dumb to realise that until the schoolteacher hurled abuse at me simply for disagreeing with him - or showing him to be wrong - you have slated me for being the abusive one on the basis that you for some reason think he is right, when he isn't, or don't have a mind of your own. Which, again, is surprising and a great shame for someone of your age, who could have a lot to tell us all, if only you had kept on supporting the club during the 30+ years when you said you did.

Big kid! You have hurled abuse left right and centre to all and sundry for eons. Then moan when I make a perfectly accurate statement. You are a retard! :)

Grow up, youre embarrassing yourself.

'What?' I exclaimed.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' .

That's shocking if true :)

What about the rumours that Shearer sat in on Allardyce's interview. Was that true or urban myth?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. What reason would the chairman have to sell Gary Speed having been at the club and did well for the club for a number of years ? If it was over a contract and terms issue, then that is the one area which is a chairmans/boards prerogative. However, Baggio and others on here complain when the club spends money on players then also complain when they don't.

You have to remember that this is from Bobby Robson. The same Bobby Robson who tried to tell us selling a 7m player who had been injury prone for 2m approx was "not a loss". The same Bobby Robson who had by the vast majority of fans view, was clearly beginning to show signs of his age catching up with him in many areas. The same Bobby Robson, who even in good health when he was England manager, used to walk into a broom cupboard at Wembley thinking it was the door to the dressing room [this is in a biography about him]. He is bound to defend himself, having been sacked, removed from office, whatever you want to call it, he is also bound to feel bitter. Who wouldn't ?

Who knows the truth. At the end of the day, these "debates" are about the board, not really Bobby Robson. And this current board have done a good job for the club, they have backed their managers and shown ambition, but too many people think they will be easy to replace with better directors, in spite of being reminded to look around at other clubs who have changed boards and directors for the worse, along with the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified more for europe than we have over the past decade, ought to tell anyone with a bit of common sense that there is not that much scope available to go higher, nor will they necessarily be prepared to back their managers in the transfer market like the current directors, although of course it would be nice.

Big kid! You have hurled abuse left right and centre to all and sundry for eons. Then moan when I make a perfectly accurate statement. You are a retard! :)

I suggest you let Noelie debate on his own, which in my opinion is very childish of you. I'm sure he's big enough to do it

Is calling someone a schoolteacher similar to calling someone a retard LOL

You ARE a KK bandwagon jumper aren't you too ? Is this why you are defending Noelie LOL

Someone is having to eat humble pie!

:)

such as accepting that we have qualified for europe more than any other team bar 4 in the past decade ?

I bet you didn't believe that until I pointed it out LOL

Edited by LeazesMag

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :blink:

Big kid! You have hurled abuse left right and centre to all and sundry for eons. Then moan when I make a perfectly accurate statement. You are a retard! :(

I suggest you let Noelie debate on his own, which in my opinion is very childish of you. I'm sure he's big enough to do it

You ARE a KK bandwagon jumper aren't you too ? Is this why you are defending Noelie LOL

Retard is perfectly accurate in your case. Noelie is perfectly correct about you. At this point I do as most tend to and ignore your posts. They are generally shite. Not unlike the stuff between your ears tbh :(

Nb: the answer to the last question is no! Careful with those bad colds :)

And it will be interesting (perhaps laughable) to read his response to my assimilation of him. :blink:

Big kid! You have hurled abuse left right and centre to all and sundry for eons. Then moan when I make a perfectly accurate statement. You are a retard! :(

Retard is perfectly accurate in your case. Noelie is perfectly correct about you. At this point I do as most tend to and ignore your posts. They are generally shite. Not unlike the stuff between your ears tbh :(

Shame gram. I am sure I am correct about you and Noelie.

Shame you can't stop being abusive either, instead of proving me wrong through posting factual information, which is what a knowledgeable and clever person would do LOL

Edited by LeazesMag

Shame gram. I am sure I am correct about you and Noelie.

Shame you can't stop being abusive either, instead of proving me wrong through posting factual information, which is what a knowledgeable and clever person would do LOL

Last response to you. How you have the nerve to come out with the abuse angle is beyond belief! Incredible!

Youre not worth bothering with. :blink: