Where does your Surname originate from?

Scottish Mag

English.

First found in Yorkshire.

Motto on coat of arms: Foi est tout. Roughly translates as "Do not mess."

Time is everything

....Timing is everything?

Your lot must've been comedians or jesters or summat.

Faith is everything. :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like things like this.

My maiden name- O'Callaghan

Irish name says family is descended from Ceallachan, the 10th century king of Munster. First found here where we were seated from very ancinet times!

My married surname, Loram.

English-First found in Bedfordshire where they were anciently seated as Lords of the Manor!! (hubby will find that funny as his mates call him Lordy Loram at the moment cos of where we now live)

Scottish-Says Scotland is the homeland of the noble surname of Loram. Originally the Loram family lived in the French province of Lorraine, before moving to Scotland.

Then underneath it says, first found in Northumberland where they were anciently seated as Lords of the Manor of Kirk Hall some say, from the time of the Norman conquest.

What i do know is some members of the Loram family recently did trace their ancesters and went back as far as 1700's and they had only moved from Brixham in Devon to Ideford in Devon which isnt far!

Has anybody got the link to that site where you can put your surname in and it shows on a map where the family lived? (taken from the census records) I did have it but cant find it now, it was posted on here.

I like things like this.

Irish name says family is descended from Ceallachan, the 10th century king of Munster. First found here where we were seated from very ancinet times!

English-First found in Bedfordshire where they were anciently seated as Lords of the Manor!! (hubby will find that funny as his mates call him Lordy Loram at the moment cos of where we now live)

Scottish-Says Scotland is the homeland of the noble surname of Loram. Originally the Loram family lived in the French province of Lorraine, before moving to Scotland.

Then underneath it says, first found in Northumberland where they were anciently seated as Lords of the Manor of Kirk Hall some say, from the time of the Norman conquest.

What i do know is some members of the Loram family recently did trace their ancesters and went back as far as 1700's and they had only moved from Brixham in Devon to Ideford in Devon which isnt far!

Has anybody got the link to that site where you can put your surname in and it shows on a map where the family lived? (taken from the census records) I did have it but cant find it now, it was posted on here.

Ah, the ancient internet, you cannit beat it!

I like things like this.

'Tut' :lol: Snakey, haven't you got anything better to do then pick up on a tiny typing error?? You can't copy and paste off that site, so I wrote it out myself!!

I like things like this.

'Tut' :D Snakey, haven't you got anything better to do then pick up on a tiny typing error?? You can't copy and paste off that site, so I wrote it out myself!!

:lol:

....bit of a cheek when you typed all that out!

You're all gits!!! :lol: But i love ya snakey xx :icon_lol:

And no, its not rag week here Bianca!!! :D:D

I'm in a very good mood actually, I've moved house, its lovely here, all sorted at last and I have the t'internet back.....that was touch and go too :D I can only get a 512-1mb connection because the BTline doesnt support anymore :lol:

No, got nowt better to do than pick up on your typing error. Sorry. Mrs hips in bed with a bad head! She even spurned my advances :D:icon_lol::D:D she must be going mentalist :lol:

Shock horror :lol: Or you're losing your touch?? :lol:

Congrats on the house move missus. :D Glad to hear it all went well! I think you just momentarily forgot what twats we all are following your absence. :icon_lol:

Thank you sweetie pops :D

Have you all missed me? .....and my sensible posts and words of wisdom? :D

By the way, i curiously missed you lot, even though you are a 'bunch of twats' :lol:

No, got nowt better to do than pick up on your typing error. Sorry. Mrs hips in bed with a bad head! She even spurned my advances :D:icon_lol::D:D she must be going mentalist :lol:

Shock horror :lol:Or you're losing your touch?? :lol:

Immmmpossible!!!!! Next time I'm in Devon, I'll prove it :lol: Mrs hips is just off her heed :D

No, got nowt better to do than pick up on your typing error. Sorry. Mrs hips in bed with a bad head! She even spurned my advances :icon_lol::D:D:lol: she must be going mentalist :yes

Shock horror :lol:Or you're losing your touch?? :D

Immmmpossible!!!!! Next time I'm in Devon, I'll prove it :DMrs hips is just off her heed :yes

I had to read that twice :blush::lol: ( I thought your luck had changed somewhat)!!! :lol:

No, got nowt better to do than pick up on your typing error. Sorry. Mrs hips in bed with a bad head! She even spurned my advances :D:D:lol::lol: she must be going mentalist :yes

Shock horror :lol:Or you're losing your touch?? :icon_lol:

Immmmpossible!!!!! Next time I'm in Devon, I'll prove it :blush:Mrs hips is just off her heed :yes

I had to read that twice :yes:D ( I thought your luck had changed somewhat)!!! :lol:

:D

The roots of the hayton family name goes back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. The surname is thought to derive from one of several place names composed of the old English elements "heah" or "high" and "tun," meaning "enclosure or settlement." There was a settlement of Heighton in the county of Sussex, and a Hightown, in Lancashire. The surname hayton belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.

Spelling variations of this family name include: Heighton, Highton, Huyton and others.

First found in Sussex where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Heighton who settled in Philadelphia Pa. in 1828; William Highton settled in Maryland in 1771.

I would just like to point out that I appear to be the only real Geordie here, now bow bow before me peasants..:lol:

First found in Northumberland where they were seated from ancient times, and were Lords of the manor of Whitfield in that shire.

Wotherspoon

Origin Displayed: Scottish

The line of the Wotherspoon family began in the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. The name Wotherspoon was given to someone who lived in an unidentified place in Scotland, named with the Old English terms wether, which means sheep, and spong, or spang, which means a narrow strip of land. Wotherspoon is probably a local surname, which belongs to the category of hereditary surnames. There are a variety of types of local surnames, some of which include: topographic surnames, which could be given to a person who lived beside any physical feature, such as a hill, stream, church or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. The surname Wotherspoon, as a local surname, would refer to a person who was from a narrow strip of land, where sheep were farmed.

Spelling variations of this family name include: Wotherspoon, Witherspoon, Weatherspoon, Wetherspoon and many more.

First found in Renfrewshire where they were seated from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Grizell Wotherspoon settled in East New Jersey in 1686; she also spelt her name Witherspoon; Elizabeth, Henry, James, John, Margaret Witherspoon, all arrived in New England in 1804.

Edited by Magma

Was on MSN with a friend from home and I put her surname in just to see. I didn't expect this one:

First found in Peebles where they were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.

My name doesn't get a match. I can trace it back to Irkutsk but not any further. We can't have originated there because we don't fit the genetic profile of the locals. Must have been displaced or some recent ancestor sent to a penal colony.