Roeder: We're not in relegation fight

Jimbo

Glenn Roeder has refused to consider Newcastle could find themselves dragged into a Premiership relegation battle after the club's top-flight malaise continued to spread during a depressing weekend at St James's Park.

The Magpies were beaten 1-0 by Manchester City on Saturday but, although a side without a goal in more than six hours of League action are not yet clear of danger, their manager is adamant he is not looking over his shoulder.

Roeder was angered after Stuart Pearce suggested that United could yet find themselves in a fight to survive during the remaining six weeks of the season. But, although defeat at Bramall Lane this weekend would leave his team just three points above Sheffield United, Newcastle's optimistic manager will not entertain talk of imminent struggle.

"There are plenty of teams below us as well and they all have less points than us," said Roeder, who believes the seven-point cushion between United and the top-flight drop-zone should ensure his side's exclusion from the relegation reckoning. "You should be asking them whether they are looking over their shoulders.

"It hasn't crossed my mind. The only thing that has crossed my mind is the next game, trying to take the three points and moving up the table. We need to gather ourselves up again on Monday, work hard and make sure we're in the right frame of mind and mental condition to go to Sheffield United next weekend."

Although a seven-point advantage with seven matches remaining should be enough to ensure that Newcastle do not become involved in a survival scrap, Roeder's men are not yet safe. One more win would see United reach 40 points, but the Magpies have taken just one from the last available 12 and, in their last four games, have lost to three teams below them in the table.

With West Ham and Charlton having both won their last two fixtures, the Premiership relegation battle is not the foregone conclusion it has long appeared. Although 11th in the standings, Newcastle are amongt those in danger of being dragged back down.

Roeder does not see it as such and believes the situation is not as bad as it appears. He said: "There's a fine dividing line between winning and losing, very fine. Four games ago, people were saying the football we played against Alkmaar was the best seen at St James's Park for several years.

"Then we went to Holland and didn't perform well and the two Premiership performances since have been patchy. It's never easy to put your finger on the reasons why."

Whatever the reasons, Roeder must identify and address them immediately. Otherwise a team who looked to have nothing left to play for this season could find themselves facing a major challenge.

Attacking improvements are vital and, with Michael Owen not certain to feature this season, the burden remains with Obafemi Martins. The striker has looked drained of confidence in recent weeks and did not look like ending the club's goal drought at the weekend.

"It's possible that he has lost a bit of sparkle," said Roeder. "He's a young player and we rely on him heavily. The experience will do him good in the long term and he will come through this experience of not scoring for a few games. But he needs more help from other players in the team, they must score goals as well."

Roeder is adamant his side's recent struggles cannot be attributed to a hangover that still lingers following last month's Uefa Cup capitulation in Holland.

"I could say `Yes, that's an excuse' and I could make excuses about this and that. But there's no hangover. The players have to be bigger than that, using the Alkmaar game as a crutch to lean on. I wouldn't accept players saying that because you wouldn't hear me saying it," he said.

Although he could understand the frustration of Newcastle supporters, Roeder suggested the fans had not helped his team's efforts. And he has told those who demanded James Milner's introduction that he cannot be influenced when it comes to team affairs.

"Normally the fans are helpful here, but they quickly got frustrated and that got to the players," he added. "In the end it started to show in our play. They (the fans) don't pick the team and never will do. If fans voice their opinions about a particular player, it is usually because they are frustrated. But I will never make a substitution on the back of what the fans want."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen apart he has his starting 11 all fit now and what he sent out on Saturday was a fucking disgrace.

Two defensive midfielders against fucking site like Citeh at home!

Carr starting ahead of Milner!

He has not fucking clue of how to make a substitution and he can't work out that Dyer isn't a striker or how to get the ball out to the left wing!

He's a fucking moron nearly as inept as Souness.

It would be worth losing the rest of our games and finshing 4th bottom just to get rid of the cun,t!

Best thing that can happen is we stay up and he still goes. As Gemmill once said about Leazes, he's becoming a parody of a parody of himself now.

Best thing that can happen is we stay up and he still goes. As Gemmill once said about Leazes, he's becoming a parody of a parody of himself now.

....I won't understimate GR's finely honed relegation abilities.. :o

As is this place tbh.

What is he supposed to say?

"Ooo fuck we're in the shit now, I think we might be relegated......."

Aye that would help. :o

Edited by Fop

As is this place tbh.

He could try saying nothing. As could you if that's the best you can offer. ;)

As is this place tbh.

He could try saying nothing. As could you if that's the best you can offer. :nufc:

Again he would be castigated for that, and that's sure to bolster the fans and the team.

Press: "Glenn do you think you're in a relegation fight?"

Roeder: *stoney silence*

Press : "Glenn do you think you'll have the funds to get who you want in the summer?"

Roeder: *takes off his glasses and polishes them*

Press: "Glenn do you think you can get into Europe next year?"

Roeder: *studies a spot on the ceiling intently*

Press: "Glenn are you going to answer ANY of our questions?"

Roeder: *whips out some juggling balls and starts juggling*

;)

There are times where he gets all he deserves, there are others where it's just patent nitpicky girlish whineing tbh.

As is this place tbh.

And where did I say he should say that? Anyway, people aren't stupid, they know the state the club is in and they know we aren't safe yet, but Glenn Roeder keeps churing out more daft comments. Should button it for a while tbh.

As is this place tbh.

He could try saying nothing. As could you if that's the best you can offer. :nufc:

Again he would be castigated for that, and that's sure to bolster the fans and the team.

Press : "Glenn do you think you'll have the funds to get who you want in the summer?"

;)

There are times where he gets all he deserves, there are others where it's just patent nitpicky girlish whineing tbh.

He should juggle on the touchline during games so at least there would be 'some' entertainment.

As is this place tbh.

And where did I say he should say that? Anyway, people aren't stupid, they know the state the club is in and they know we aren't safe yet, but Glenn Roeder keeps churing out more daft comments. Should button it for a while tbh.

Ok what IS the "acceptable" answer to that suggestion then?

If not *stoney silence* (or just not turning up for press conferences ever, I guess ;) ) and not "no we're not going to be relegated" (which is clearly a ridiculous answer boardering on lunacy :nufc: )?

Frankly there is justified whinging and then there's plain moronic whinging this is definitely in the latter category.

I'm very interested in the "right" answer to this, although I don't believe there is one.

As is this place tbh.

;)

I'm not gonna get into an argument with you cos I can't afford to fall asleep at work, but does it really make any sense him denying that we're in a relegation battle when we're only 7 points from safety with some difficult games to come, and relegation battlers beating us fairly easily?

The answer's no btw.

Oooh, Fop being argumentative. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Oooh people dodging the question when the truth is pointed out and it is too hard for them Zzzzzzzzzzzz. :o

As is this place tbh.

;)

I'm not gonna get into an argument with you cos I can't afford to fall asleep at work, but does it really make any sense him denying that we're in a relegation battle when we're only 7 points from safety with some difficult games to come, and relegation battlers beating us fairly easily?

The answer's no btw.

Which is what he said is it not?

As is this place tbh.

If not *stoney silence* (or just not turning up for press conferences ever, I guess ;) ) and not "no we're not going to be relegated" (which is clearly a ridiculous answer boardering on lunacy :nufc: )?

Frankly there is justified whinging and then there's plain moronic whinging this is definitely in the latter category.

I'm very interested in the "right" answer to this, although I don't believe there is one.

The right ans is: "I'm dissapointed and embarrased that under my leadership I have brought the club to such a low level. I shall do the honorable thing and resign in the morning.

I've just given you it. It's fairly obvious to me. "Yes, with 7 points between us and the relegation zone, you would have to say we're being sucked into a relegation battle and we need to pull ourselves clear before things get any worse."

He's fooling nobody (except you, it seems :o ) by saying that we aren't.

As is this place tbh.

;)

The answer's no btw.

Which is what he said is it not?

The answer to the question I asked in my post is no. The one just above where I give you the answer. Keep up!

As is this place tbh.

Not sure what your question is tbh.

As is this place tbh.

The right ans is: "I'm dissapointed and embarrased that under my leadership I have brought the club to such a low level. I shall do the honorable thing and resign in the morning.

1. would that actually help the club? (of course I forgot we've got world class managers lined up around the block to ready to leave their clubs in a second and come to newcastle)

2. in what world would any manager say that in the current situation.

So that would be a moronic answer then.

Tbh, I couldn't give a fuck anyway. Who gives a shit what the right answer is? It's not even worth arguing about. He's a shit manager doing a shit job. That's why his daft patter is all the more annoying. He could say what he wanted more or less if he was doing something approaching a decent job. That's not to say he shouldn't get pulled up when he talks shit (again btw).