Job hunting

Walliver

Is this graduate work or just summer stuff in between lazing around?

Graduate work - first real job and it all seems a bit scary. I want something journalism related but I want it to be something a bit fun and exciting. Working for a local paper in Berkshire reporting on things that don't really interest me sounds tremendously dull.

But then the exciting jobs are the harder ones to get into. I think I'm going to lose.

Graduate work - first real job and it all seems a bit scary. I want something journalism related but I want it to be something a bit fun and exciting. Working for a local paper in Berkshire reporting on things that don't really interest me sounds tremendously dull.

But then the exciting jobs are the harder ones to get into. I think I'm going to lose.

I know fuck all about journalism, but I would guess that they keep the exciting jobs for people with experience who've proven themselves, and expect the graduates to start out in local papers in Berkshire reporting on things that don't really interest them. :o

By the way, I know nothing about graduate recruitment into journalism, sorry. Do you not have a careers department at Uni? They're normally worth visiting - they'll have loads of application forms for you to have a look through and see if anything takes your fancy.

Edited by Gemmill

If it's the Wokingham Times we might have met...

I know fuck all about journalism, but I would guess that they keep the exciting jobs for people with experience who've proven themselves, and expect the graduates to start out in local papers in Berkshire reporting on things that don't really interest them. :o

By the way, I know nothing about graduate recruitment into journalism, sorry. Do you not have a careers department at Uni? They're normally worth visiting - they'll have loads of application forms for you to have a look through and see if anything takes your fancy.

Yes, I'm going to visit them sometime next week. I'm down visiting my parents for Easter and they're expecting me to start applying for jobs before then.

I'm pretty bored at the moment so if anyone wants to give me something to do I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

I know a lad who's a sports reporter in the midlands, it was all he ever wanted to do. However, to get there he had to go through the crappy local paper reporting on 'cat stuck up tree' and all that shite. Unfortunately, it's the only way to get where you want to in journalism.

I know a lad who's a sports reporter in the midlands, it was all he ever wanted to do. However, to get there he had to go through the crappy local paper reporting on 'cat stuck up tree' and all that shite. Unfortunately, it's the only way to get where you want to in journalism.

:o

How long did it take him?

Well, he's 26 now and he's started covering the football this season. He loves it like, although he says footballers are thick as fuck, always digging their own graves with some of the shit they come out with to him. And he does trawl message boards to a) find out what fans think of players/performances and b ) what everyone thinks of him. :o

I work in journalism. Unfortunately, there's not really a way around reporting on vandalised playgrounds and old ladies collecting for animal shelters. The good thing is that there are usually so many lazy and inept people in local journalism - with any luck and a bit of talent, it won't take you too long to move on to bigger and better things. :o

I work in journalism. Unfortunately, there's not really a way around reporting on vandalised playgrounds and old ladies collecting for animal shelters. The good thing is that there are usually so many lazy and inept people in local journalism - with any luck and a bit of talent, it won't take you too long to move on to bigger and better things. :o

Where do you work? Can you give me a job?

;)

:nufc:

Basel, Switzerland. ;)

:suicide:

Basel, Switzerland. ;)

Translation: Only gold bungs accepted. :nufc:

:suicide:

Basel, Switzerland. ;)

Translation: Only gold bungs accepted. :nufc:

Absolute discretion guaranteed.

Make friends in high places, have parents who have friends in high places.

Or get your mate a job there last summer when you where on placement then get his job when he gets promoted. :o

Edited by khay

Learn how to bullshit.

There's the best advice, you always find the overconfident, gobby bullshitters way further up the chain than they ever should be.

Quoted for truth, I've seen that happen time and time again.

Unfortunately any decent kind of journalism is notoriously difficult to get into and you almost always have to do the non-descript local crappy news to build up your reputation and get anywhere. It was always my first career of choice (journalism or any kind of writing in general) but it didn't happen for various reasons. I write less and less now and sometimes wish it's something I'd pursued.

My cousin's a journalist and is on a fair decent amount of coinage at the moment, however we all have to start somewhere and he was exactly like you, reporting on anything for everything but eventually his hard work got noticed and he's reaping the rewards right now the bassa. :o

You'll have to go through the local route I'm afraid! A bit of advice, if you do take a lower paid job, keep a record or diary of all contacts you meet. It'll prove very handy in the long run. Also, check out the MediaGuardian every Monday, always some good jobs in there.

You'll have to go through the local route I'm afraid! A bit of advice, if you do take a lower paid job, keep a record or diary of all contacts you meet. It'll prove very handy in the long run. Also, check out the MediaGuardian every Monday, always some good jobs in there.

I bought the Guardian this morning but most of the jobs in it seemed to be directed towards media sales and nonsense like that. I was pretty disappointed as I felt my 70p investment hadn't been returned.