Tottenham complete Bale transfer

khay

Tottenham have completed the signing of Southampton's teenager Welsh international defender Gareth Bale. Southampton said Spurs will make an immediate payment of £5 million, with further additional payments that could see the transfer fee rise to £10m.

The 17-year-old Bale said: "I'm just excited to be coming to a massive club like Spurs. It's pushing forward and I want to be part of its future."

Bale had only one year left on his Southampton contract.

The youngster had also been linked with moves to Arsenal and Manchester United.

Spurs had a bid of about £10m accepted by Saints in January, but Bale rejected the transfer at that time.

Following Southampton's failure to gain promotion this season the prospect of first-team football in the Premiership at Tottenham looks to have been enough to change his mind.

"I really want to play in the Premiership," added Bale. "That's very important to me and this is a fantastic opportunity. I've thought long and hard about it and feel the time is right to move on.

"I could have gone in January but I wanted to try and help Saints win promotion. I felt I owed them that and I didn't want to move mid-season.

"I wanted to keep my focus on learning and developing my game at a critical stage of the campaign."

Bale made his debut as a 16-year-old last year for Saints - becoming the second youngest to ever play for the club - and this season he has become a regular for Southampton and Wales.

e became the youngest Welsh international when he played against Trinidad & Tobago in May last year, setting up a late winner.

Tottenham sporting director Damien Comolli said: "We have been following Gareth for a long time now and have been very tenacious, so we are absolutely delighted to get him here.

"He's a player of great quality and, as we always say, our aim in each window is to improve the quality of the squad. He has the ideal combination to become a top, top player."

From BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...pur/6693839.stm

Was talking earlier today to a couple of my mates who are season ticket holders at Norwich and they think he's shite ! they've seen him a few times and other than pace and his deadball skills he's a very average defender in the Championship.

One comment was that when Norwich last played Southampton, Huckerby was played on the right and ran Bale wragged all day long, and Huckerby is poor on the right.

I think Spuds have once again paid over the odds for young English talent like Jenas, Huddlestone, Dawson etc.

Shame :blink:

Was talking earlier today to a couple of my mates who are season ticket holders at Norwich and they think he's shite ! they've seen him a few times and other than pace and his deadball skills he's a very average defender in the Championship.

One comment was that when Norwich last played Southampton, Huckerby was played on the right and ran Bale wragged all day long, and Huckerby is poor on the right.

I think Spuds have once again paid over the odds for young English talent like Jenas, Huddlestone, Dawson etc.

he's welsh isn't he. ;)

anyone seen owt of him or are we just going off football manager again?

I think Spuds have once again paid over the odds for young English British talent like Jenas, Huddlestone, Dawson etc.

he's welsh isn't he. ;)

anyone seen owt of him or are we just going off football manager again?

Like I said, the first hand assesments I've had about him is that as a defender he's very average, and no where near worth £10m, which is probably why ManUre, Arsenal and Chelski didn't bother with the lad.

• 6 years later...

While Barcelona have stayed silent about the amount Santos are receiving for the 21-year-old, Neymar was reportedly valued at £50m.

"Bale is better than Neymar," Barnett added. "He's proved himself in the best league in the world.

"Listen, it's crazy, but whatever Neymar cost, Gareth Bale is worth more.

"I would hope that any club who wants him, wants him not because they lost Neymar. I would think he'd have to be their first choice."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22702910

Bale's agent talking up a move to Madrid.

:lol:

He took a while to settle (not referring to that statistic where his first 20-something appearances for Spurs they never won) which is why I think he might flop in Madrid, even if he's 6 years older now. They weren't very patient with Modric.