Sam close to first signing

Scottish Mag

Sam Allardyce admitted today he is close to a "breakthrough" in the transfer market as he looks to land his first new face at St James' Park.

The amount of cash Allardyce has available for transfers at the moment is unclear due to the uncertainty caused by last week's takeover bid by billionaire Mike Ashley and the impact this will have on the current board.

Therefore, it is more likely that the two out-of-contract players on United's radar may be the first new signings on board, with defender Ben Haim and striker Mark Viduka the most realistic targets for now.

And while the talk from the US was that a potential Premiership loan move for LA-bound David Beckham will fail to materialise, there were still some optimistic noises today that the recalled England star could yet appear in a black-and-white shirt.

Allardyce has enjoyed a short break in the south of France since his appointment. But his phone has been switched on during his vacation which coincided with last Wednesday's sensational devel-opments when sports tycoon Ashley launched a takeover bid by snapping up Sir John Hall's stake in United.

Allardyce told the Chronicle today: "We've already had lots of meetings and talked about future plans for new players here.

"Those talks are continuing, and we are close to making a breakthrough in the not-too-distant future.

"Everybody here is working together to take the club forward."

Israeli international Ben Haim is thought to be more than keen to link up with Allardyce again and, because his contract with Bolton has expired, he is a free agent who is unlikely to return to the Reebok Stadium next term.

Although The 25-year-old has also been linked with a move to Chelsea, he knows he would be guaranteed a major role in Allardyce's plans, probably playing alongside Steven Taylor

Ironically for Ben Haim, Big Sam was desperate to get him to sign a new deal during his days at Bolton, but the fact that the defender resisted could now turn out in his favour.

Viduka, on the other hand, has several options, but was interested in moving to St James' Park last summer before his contract ran out at Middlesbrough and he is still very much a target.

And with the Aussie keen on pastures new and aiming to stay in the Premier-ship, the 31-year-old may meet up with Allardyce this week as Australia arrive in the UK to take on Uruguay at Upton Park.

Ashley has been invited to sit meet the board next week at St James' to discuss exactly how the club will move forward.

Shepherd is still hospitalised with pneumonia but is keeping tabs on the whole situation, with weekend reports that Ashley will install a new chairman, should he gain control of the club, unconfirmed.

Allardyce said: "Freddy Shepherd is the man who brought me to Newcastle United as manager and I hope that everyone involved with the club can work well together."

Shepherd has been keeping in touch with everything despite being in hospital and being told to take it easy.

Meanwhile, hopes that Beckham may arrive at Gallowgate for a three- month winter loan stint from LA Galaxy were still alive within St James' Park today.

Beckham will head for the US to play Major League Soccer in August and will star for Galaxy until November.

And despite an insistence from his new coach Frank Yallop there would be no loan deal for Becks, a Toon insider said: "David has a lot of time for Big Sam and the manager would love to work with him.

"He feels he would be a welcome addition to the dressing room in terms of experience and a big influence on the pitch.

"You only have to look at the impact of Henrik Larsson at Manchester United last season to see what a short-term loan deal can do when it comes to giving your squad a boost."

With Beckham also desperate to play at next summer's European Championships in Austria and Switzerland, the ex-Man United star may also make a formal request to Galaxy to return to the Premiership to keep him in the mind of Steve McClaren ahead of the tournament.

And, given his superstar status, there must be a strong chance that such a plea would eventually have to be accepted.

Ben Haim would be a quality signing. My only concern is the ongoing investigation of his move to Bolton and I hope that doesn't have any effect on us.

I wish they'd shut the fuck up about Beckham though. If there is any truth in it whatsoever, we talking about 6 months away at least - we need to be concentrating on here and now.

There was some news of him moving clubs for a pittance, and as an attacking full back, he's pretty much one of my favourite players in the Premiership. Plus he has Riise-like qualities with the ball at his feet just outside the box. I think he's a fantastic player, and would be GUTTED to see him move clubs if it wasn't to us.

There was some news of him moving clubs for a pittance, and as an attacking full back, he's pretty much one of my favourite players in the Premiership. Plus he has Riise-like qualities with the ball at his feet just outside the box. I think he's a fantastic player, and would be GUTTED to see him move clubs if it wasn't to us.

£5m is the price I have seen and he is much better as a left winger than he is a full back.

Agreed his attacking is his best quality. But come on, Baba, or Matty Taylor? No brainer.

That goes without saying but if we are going to spend £5m+ on a full back I would rather it be someone who is more comfortable in that position.

For the amount of goals he's going to get, I think he's definitely worth 5mil.

Yeah he hasn't done too badly for goals the last couple of seasons but still think we could go better for the money, especially if we are talking about someone to play at left back rather than a left winger.

Has Taylor really scored that many this season? I know he's scored a few just after Christmas. He's also the penalty taker IIRC.

9 goals, not sure how many where Pens, but he was their 2nd top goal scorer, 3 behind Kanu.

Has Taylor really scored that many this season? I know he's scored a few just after Christmas. He's also the penalty taker IIRC.

Never been too keen on him. Decent, steady player but nowt spectacular. We can do better wide left and at fullback. He is probably decent cover there, but if we are aspiring to be challenging the top 4 then he isnt what we should be looking at.

He's a bit ginger beer though tbh?

He's a bit ginger beer though tbh?

Afternoon Clarkson. :blink:

Ben Haim would be a quality signing. My only concern is the ongoing investigation of his move to Bolton and I hope that doesn't have any effect on us.

I wish they'd shut the fuck up about Beckham though. If there is any truth in it whatsoever, we talking about 6 months away at least - we need to be concentrating on here and now.

Agree with all that. I'm tired of the Beckham rumours already. As for Ben Haim, he'd be a good signing and since we basically need to buy an entire back four, it'd be great to start bringing in players as soon as possible.

Please be ben haim, we could do much better than viduka if this takeover goes through

totally agree ben haim is just what we need, then just need a replacement for babyarro ( or how eva you spell it )